Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2007 E and my wife drives a 2008 CRV.

When I changed the oil filter in her CRV I was pleased to find that the filter in the CRV has been moved to a location right behind the oil pan. It's oriented in such a way that it doesn't pour all the oil out as soon as it's unscrewed. This has got to improve the start-up oiling too! I couldn't get a good look at it but I'm thinking Honda simply added some new plumbing to do this.

So, here's my question:

Is it possible to get the parts from Honda to move the filter to this location on E's? All of us who have burned forearms and oil stained driveways need to know.

Anybody done this?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I took a look at the parts diagram, I'd say it's doubtful that the CRV part would work. I'm not sure, but there might be some aftermarket kits to make a remote oil filter. One of those might be able to get you what you're after.

Personally haven't spilled the filter oil on me or the floor. It helps to put the oil pan under it while you loosen the filter. If you hold it right, you can flip the open end up once you get the filter un-threaded.

Another option to keep the oil off the floor is to put that drain thing you can order under the filter. Last time I changed the oil, I just put some rags on the cross member. Next time, I'm gonna try some AL foil.

·
Registered
234 Posts
the only oil filter relocation kits ive seen are sold by amsoil. As far as burning your forearms I simply reach through the cutout hole in the wheelwell to get the filter off. Its very easy if you use a jack and jackstands to lift the front end of the car. I unscrew it with the pan under the filter and let it drain for a few min. before removeing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From the top

It's easier for me to get at the filter from the top. But I've tried most of the different ways mentioned here to do it, other than letting a shop monkey do it.

On the '08 CRV the filter is in the 'perfect' location. Right behind the crankcase drain plug. It was one of the easiest filter changes ever.

Wishful thinking on my part. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Why couldn't you buy the parts I highlighted?
How are you going to attach part 15 to the element? Is it round? Will it cover the entire area that needs to make contact with the filter seal flange thing?

That part does not look round enough to me. But if you want to be the first to try... go a head.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
How are you going to attach part 15 to the element? Is it round? Will it cover the entire area that needs to make contact with the filter seal flange thing?

That part does not look round enough to me. But if you want to be the first to try... go a head.
I have no plans on doing this. I have no issues removing my oil filter cleanly. I just posted a pic of the parts and was asking how tough could it be. I can't imagine that the CR-V has a different block from the Element so it would have to connect fairly easily. Could be wrong or something isn't being shown. Can always go into a Dealer and check the part out in person to see how it might connect.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have no plans on doing this.
Nor do I. At least not immediately. But if the OP wants to, here's two more diagrams with the important differenced noted as they look like they have something to do with the oil filter.

The top image should be the Element cylinder block with what I think was called an oil filter heat shield. The second image is the CR-V cylinder block with an oil filter cap.

Combine that with Larry's image and you might just be able to do this.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts