Honda Element Owners Club banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
I know it's rehashing but maybe I can explain all at once.

:idea: To play in the Honda's cdplayer it must be a standard CD or CDR and should for best results burned at a slow speed. (I prefer 1x for my cars) Average cd players, like those in vehicles, really only will read redbook 1x or 2x speeds. Of course you don't have to burn at that speed and can burn them at a higher speed (I've had good results even at 40x) but the results will be inconsistant.

:idea: The songs must be in *.wav format, if you have them in *.mp3, or *.wma the car's cd player cannot translate them.

:idea: You must close the session when it is burned. You probably will not be able to play them if the files were dragged and dropped after you used a disk mounting format instead of just a creation format.

:idea: Change the brand of CD you are using. Some cd players are more finicky than others.

If this still doesn't help - let me know. :D

· Registered
50 Posts
one thing about cables... i did notice that radio shack has mono cables right next to the stereo cables. make sure you get the stereo cable (it has two black bands on the mini-jack input). the mono cable will probably sound like garbage if you use it.

second, i generally use a mac and i have a 10GB ipod (as does my wife), but i think you're doing us all a disservice, mfpar35 and smobbinsi, by being condescending and rude. why would people even consider switching computers when users of the alternate brand go out of their way to be elitist and downright rude? we all want apple to do well, so we can continue to use their excellent products long into the future. try to be more polite when introducing people to their benefits, such as the amazing ipod. and yes, i realize that you said you were "just having fun with it", but your tone was really uncalled for. anyhow, the ipod really is an awesome piece of technology and you can even get them for windows-based pc's. you just have to buy a $35 firewire PCI card to link up, which is pretty easy to install. you have to try the ipod to understand. navigating the menus and picking songs is really easy, quick, and intuitive.

third, for space e - mac os x is pretty cool because it is unix based, so you can just crack open a terminal window and use all the unix commands that you ever wanted. so, it's actually a rock solid os (no more bomb icons) and can be more intuitive for unix users like yourself.

sorry for the long post.
shawn

ps - the element is a great car. my wife, dog, and i love it.

· Registered
33 Posts
second, i generally use a mac and i have a 10GB ipod (as does my wife), but i think you're doing us all a disservice, mfpar35 and smobbinsi, by being condescending and rude. why would people even consider switching computers when users of the alternate brand go out of their way to be elitist and downright rude? we all want apple to do well, so we can continue to use their excellent products long into the future. try to be more polite when introducing people to their benefits, such as the amazing ipod. and yes, i realize that you said you were "just having fun with it", but your tone was really uncalled for.
Excuse me for having some fun...I retract my elitist remark :oops:

Really, I mean no offense to anybody, and hope that nobody got hurt from my statements. I will now go do a good deed for the day to make up for my behavior, and report back with the results.

· Registered
57 Posts
No harm taken here. And I know this is an Element forum, but to me, the MP3 jack, as small as it is, is the perfect example of the "little touches" that make the Element so great. My sister has an iPod and she had to buy one of those awful cassette-adapter things to play it through her Jetta's stereo. She's totally jealous of my MP3 jack. Whatever you use to plug into it, it's all good!

· Registered
155 Posts
Quote from shawns:
third, for space e - mac os x is pretty cool because it is unix based, so you can just crack open a terminal window and use all the unix commands that you ever wanted. so, it's actually a rock solid os (no more bomb icons) and can be more intuitive for unix users like yourself.

Too true - but you must admit that the new MACS are priced out of many peoples pocketbook. Linux is more adaptable to many more systems.

I wish I could get a new MAC!

Get to work or buy a new MAC? Decisions, decisions. ...Can play my MP3 on both ....

· Registered
50 Posts
i won't deny that macs are more expensive, but i still generally like them better and i'm lucky to be able to afford them. not that i have a super-dual processor G4 with 24" monitor or anything. the ibook suits us just fine, which can be had for $1500 with more power than the average user needs.

of course, nothing beats free (ie - linux).
shawn

· Registered
15 Posts
I really like the wired remote feature of the iPod, specifically for changing tunes while driving.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the Nomad (even the latest model) has a remote like the ipod. I am worroied that this would make driving and tuning more dangerous.
Where can you put the Nomad that allows the easy access of the ipod?
thanks

· Registered
8 Posts
For all PC users, here is a great alternative to the VERY expensive 20 GB ipod.

http://www.nomadworld.com/products/jukebox_zen/

Similar to the ipod in many respects, most importantly storage capacity and size, it goes for about half the price!!! You can also get a wired remote with built in FM tuner for about $60. The USB 2.0 model is great because it's backwards compatible with USB 1.1 (which most newer computers have) effictively resolving the more elusive firewire issues and 2.0 is just a bit faster than firewire.

IMHO, Honda's are not like Apples. I think one of the biggest, if not the biggest, reasons people get Honda's is the fact that they are reasonably priced. As much as I like Apple, you cannot say that about them.

· Registered
45 Posts
I know this thread is now off the subject of MP3, but here's my 2 cents.

I've been a long-time Windows software developer ever since version 3.1. I must say that I'm now considering porting some my "skills" to Linux/Unix after recent developments I'm seeing in both Linux and Max OS X. Not that I'm anti-Microsoft, but I see real potential with these new systems.

What does this have to with the Element? Well, a while back I went to our local Mac store to see what this OS X is all about. And I was REALLY impressed! I felt almost the same way I did about test driving my E. I think Apple has done a fine job of making the computer "fun" to use, not just "useful". The same goes with the Element; its "fun" to use and not just another "me too" UTE.

Godspeed,
-Droidian

· Registered
169 Posts
not to split the hairs too much, but i think that the format space e is talking about is not wave (.wav ) but cd audio (,cda)...

audio cds have music in what is called a 'red book' format. the newer standard is now CD Digital Audio ( cd-da ). while a few of us ole-timers will remember that we used the earlier win3.1 with MM Ext to copy cds to .wav files but they are typicaly HUGE ( 20-30 Meg per song ) and all of the translating from one digital format to another results in degradation ( yes virginia, there is degradation when varying digital formats are copied )

a good utility o create cd's for your element is Nero....

· Registered
155 Posts
*.wav's are translated by the device to be read in cda format. But just try to copy in cda. If you try to copy in cda format - you may just find a bunch of 1kb files on your disk. The wav format (very large) will be read by most standard red book CD players but only store the same amount of data, there is not very much compression but is susceptible to distortion. And yes, Nero is very good.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.