Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I picked up my Element last Saturday, I was told that the accessories were not in yet, including that spiffy in-dash MP3 player like it shows in the brochure:

Yesterday morning I dropped the Element off at the dealership to have all my accessories installed since they had all arrived. But when I got to the dealership after work to pick it up, it turns out that they can't install the MP3 player in the EX model. It only works in the DX.

Now I'm a very understanding person and I know that this is all new to them and they told me when I first showed interest in the Element that they're brand new and they haven't yet learned everything about them so they might have to look things up. When I went in yesterday, they apologized profusely about it and offered to either cut me a check for $300 (I know that it costs more but the MP3 player is one of the options they threw in while lowering the price of the vehicle during negotiations) or they'll install an aftermarket MP3/CD player system for me. I opted for the aftermarket system. Overall I'm not upset about this whole thing. Yes, it's irritating but they're doing all they can to make it right.

My question is... Has anyone with a DX gotten the MP3 player? If so, what is your opinion of it? And also, has anyone with an EX wanted the in-dash MP3 player and been told about this? How did they explain it? The salesman told me that he honestly didn't understand why the MP3 player won't work with the EX model and I'm just curious as to why.

Edit to add:
I looked all through the brocure and online information and so far haven't found anything that says it won't work with the EX model stereo system. Am I missing where it says this? Does it say it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually the only place on Honda's Website that I could find specific information about the audio options was when you go to the Build your Own Link. It will precisly show what options are available for each model. I too was disappointed when I found out that there was a 6 disc in dash changer for the DX but not the EX. For the EX you have only the option of a external changer which you would have to put in the rear of the vehicle. My only question is... isn't the EX model supposed to be better than the DX and feature more upgrades...this is how it normally works. Anyone else have an opinion?

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
277 Posts
It might be for one of two reasons:
1. That nifty MP3 player jack wont work with the other radios (I'm looking forward to hooking up my Ipod).
2. The stock amplifyer and wiring may not mesh well with a different system.

Still, I think you're doing OK if they're putting the aftermarket system in for ya.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah, I asked about the in-dash MP3 player for my EX and was told it wasn't an option. I didn't really care, since I'm getting a player to plug into the convenient AUX jack anyway, but I can't begin to guess why it isn't an available option for EX owners. Very weird. In any case, I'd rather not have it... with the AUX, I can plug in any sort of player I want and never worry about the format going out of style or whatever.

Drew

·
Registered
211 Posts
Misty, for less than half the price, around $220 you can get a player that has more features than the IPOD and stores the same amount of songs (around 4000 in cd quality) I have an Ipod as well, but wish I did not spend the extra money. If you would like me to do a side by side compairison for you, I can.

These portable units are very small, plug into the aux jack sound as good, and you can take them out of the vehicle when you reach your destination. Much nicer and have more storrage than the indash model.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could you post it? Not for me but it's the sort of information that other people would probably look for at some point.

See, I didn't pay for the MP3 player. I went to other dealerships to see who would beat the best deals I got at other places and when I got done, my payments are $60/month less than my original starting quote with the in dash MP3 player, the air deflector, keyless entry and the driver's side armrest with storage and also 15,000 miles a year instead of the 12,000.

The thing that got me that I just realized is that more than one dealership offered to put the in dash MP3 player in the EX model...

I think Honda needs to like actually inform their dealers about this sort of thing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Honda has always been clear on their website about the MP3 players only being available in the DX model.

I think the problem with the dealerships is most of the salespeople have no concept of what an MP3 is! :twisted:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought it was weird that they don't offer an option like the in-dash mp3 player on the high end model also. The reason I got when asking why was that the subwoofer on the EX prevents the mp3 player from being a viable option.

Not sure why ... the sub's on the floor, but hey, they're the dealer ;0)

Anyway, in the long run, I decided I didn't want a windoze logo on my dash anyway, so I opted for the aux jack and I'm planning to get a separate player for it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
it is not available in the ex because the radio it self is completely different the dx has a single din radio the radio in the ex is a double din leaving no room for the mp3 player, why double din?, I m sure it has to do with the subwoofer and poor planning by not designing a single din radio with subwoofer capabilty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
that makes sense, and fits what the dealer told me (eg. subwoofer makes it so)

btw, just got the archos jukebox recorder 20 and hooked it up. Love it, works very well with the E. I got the player, a stereo mini-jack to mini-jack and an adapter to power the player off the car battery for ~ $260 USD at Circuit City =0)

Anyone that's thinking of getting the archos, or already has it, i highly recommend replacing the firmware with rockbox (http://rockbox.haxx.se) ... it's got a lot of nice features and fixed some 'bugs' i was experiencing. Only caveat is, doing so may end the warranty ... ah well, such is life.

·
Registered
211 Posts
actually, No, it won't do anything to the warranty as its just software. All you do is erase the file you added from RockBox and put the original one from Archos back in the root directory....presto, stock player

·
Registered
42 Posts
I too had shown in interest in adding the in-dash MP3 player to my EX....after careful reading, i found out that the only way to do that was with a DX. Can anyone tell me about other MP3 players that I can get to plug into the aux. jack?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Misty...why be limited to how many songs can fit on a cd and have to carry all your cds around when you could put 4000 songs on a HD based mp3 player which is the same price, and portable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts