Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've driven my Element cross country 6 times. The last time was this past week. I've noticed when the fuel contains 10% Ethanol my mileage goes from 25 MPG to approximately 20-21 MPG. After 2500 miles that adds up.

Anyone else have similar results?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I see the same thing. The mileage drops about 10% Kinda sucks.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Ethanol contains less energy than pure unleaded fuel. It's crap. And it's only going to get worse if they pass that damn E15 proposal that's floating around.

The crappy part is that it's proven to give you less performance, yet it costs the same as pure gasoline. IMO, if they're going to screw you out of performance and mileage, the crap should cost less.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Ethanol contains less energy than pure unleaded fuel. It's crap. And it's only going to get worse if they pass that damn E15 proposal that's floating around.

The crappy part is that it's proven to give you less performance, yet it costs the same as pure gasoline. IMO, if they're going to screw you out of performance and mileage, the crap should cost less.
But it lowers "pollution" :oops:

(regardless of the fact that planting/harvesting the base-stock and processing the ethanol creates three times the pollution it supposedly saves when added to gasoline). :shock:

·
Registered
4,174 Posts

(regardless of the fact that planting/harvesting the base-stock and processing the ethanol creates three times the pollution it supposedly saves when added to gasoline). :shock:
now now, you are just thinking and stating facts, we'll have none of that

·
Registered
348 Posts
Granted this dates back but wasn't the original reason for this "blend" so the gas was less likely to freeze in cold climates? Me being from Michgan, I seem to remember this being a reason ( back in the early 80's or late 70's ).

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Granted this dates back but wasn't the original reason for this "blend" so the gas was less likely to freeze in cold climates? Me being from Michgan, I seem to remember this being a reason ( back in the early 80's or late 70's ).
Back when Global Cooling was all the rage

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Quoting for truth.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah, I can see that Global Warming out my office window right now (snowing in Dallas this morning). :razz:
You're confusing "weather" (snowing outside in December), with climate (long term-decadal trends). Global warming is about climate change, not the weather channel. Common mistake, but don't make it again.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Exactly. They should gather up all the "theys" and ship them off to Siberia. Damn glad that I'm not a they.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
You're confusing "weather" (snowing outside in December), with climate (long term-decadal trends). Global warming is about climate change, not the weather channel. Common mistake, but don't make it again.
Notice the "grin" :grin: t'was a joke. Don't go all religious. :|

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Global Warming is a hoax, a way for Al Gore and his friends to make a ton of money and take advantage of the average person

Don't forget the Global Cooling scare of the 70's/80's

weather/climate - it just amazes me that my weather person can't get the forecast right right for the weekend but we are supposed to believe that they can forecast 100 years from now...............please

if you want to do something you feel will help, go for it but leave me alone

·
Registered
29 Posts
This stuff is not really better for the environment. We are burning food to make fuel, and a university did a study and the crap is worse because it takes so much energy to make the stuff. Yes it does burn cleaner, but the end result is more pollution to make less pollution. :|

·
Registered
715 Posts
If they add the 10% ethanol and your mileage drops by 10%, then you have to buy 10% more to go the same distance and are still using the same amount of gasoline but wasting the alcohol as nothing is accomplished by adding it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
And wasting alcohol is just a darn shame! :x

:food004:

·
Registered
550 Posts
This stuff is not really better for the environment. We are burning food to make fuel, and a university did a study and the crap is worse because it takes so much energy to make the stuff. Yes it does burn cleaner, but the end result is more pollution to make less pollution. :|
Sounds like a gov't program to me. Can't wait to see how hosed up the health care will get.
se

1 - 20 of 41 Posts