Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much improvement in mpg one should expect from taking the rear seats out? my searches didn't answer my Q.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Negligible improvement if any. The seats weigh around 40lbs each and 80lbs removed from fairly heavy box like the E won't do much.

I had both seat out of my '05 MT for over 10,000 miles. Any minor improvement was covered by the usual tank-to-tank variations.

If you never haul passengers back there, and have a safe place to store the seats- take them out-you'll love the extra hauling space. Just don't expect to buy anything with your gas savings!:grin:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I took my seats out for a trip to Las Vegas from San Diego and I got 27mpg going up there with it empty.. On the way back I got 23 with about 500lb in it.
Also it was also noisier with the seats out.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I've had the backseats out for years. While there is no mpg difference with them out, the lack of ability to carry passengers is a definate plus. :grin: So I guess if you factor in the weight savings of not having people back there (250-350 lbs), that could lead to some mpg savings. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all who responded. I carry no passengers and I was thinking every bit of weight reduction might help. So, I'll run couple of tanks without them just to satisfy the curious mind.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Less weight has to translate into better mileage.

Whether its enough to worry about depends on a lot of factors.

If you live in the mountains and/or do a lot of stop and go driving, it will make more of a difference.

Driving across the plains at a steady speed, much less so.

FWIW, I rarely have the rear seats installed. We transport dogs a lot and its handier without them.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
About those seats and living in California...

Is it possible to drive around WITHOUT the rear seats and WITH a passenger plus be in the carpool in NORTHERN California...?

I say this because there ARE 3-person requirements in some of the HOV lanes as well as the Bay Bridge over here... Now a Mazda Miata, BMW Z3, and pickup trucks without any type of extended cab could go through the HOV lanes/Bay Bridge without any CHP notice as long as there is a passenger so two can go...

If that is the case, would the rear seats out and the extra seatbelts in the back get us in trouble...? With the tolls going up to $6 and now that the carpool lanes are being charged $2.50 to cross all bridges, it may be worthwhile having the seats out if you drive during rush hour... That could be one way to save in time, tolls, and gas here in the Bay Area...

Just a thought...

LBD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts