Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I can't believe I've been a member on this forum for 13 YEARS now??! Yikes. I'm old. You guys have done a lot in here in the past... oh... 8 years since I last logged on. ;-) Anyways, a problem with my E has brought me back to the community searching for answers.

My MT '05 EX AWD will occasionally stall out upon hard braking. It does this with both the clutch all the way down, as well as in Neutral. I've searched the forums and have seen some "similar" issues, but none quite identical. The problem seems worse when there is additional load on the system, like when the lights and AC or Fan are on. The idle basically slips below 750 until and cuts out. She has a newer clutch, valve adjustment, full tune and fluids, and I just replaced the IACV. I'm kinda at a loss here. She otherwise runs Like A Top, no valve chatter, smooth as silk. I've pulled every fuse and checked them all, just in case. The problem pre-dates the mechanical work I've done on the car, but recently it has become more noticeable (happens while I'm driving on back roads more frequently).

Any input appreciated, or feel free to point me in the right direction if there's a link that I missed somewhere.

Thanks in advance.
-D

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No CEL?
Cleaned the throttle body?
Sure sounds like an IAC.
Correct, there is no Check Engline Light thrown.

I also thought this was the IACV. About 2 weeks ago, it was surging the idle real bad when the engine was warm. The "Pulsing Idle" would rev between 500-1500 RPM about 1/second. If I let it run for a few minutes, eventually it would stall out. At that time codes Were thrown, which pointed to the Idle Air Control Valve. Mechanic agreed, so I had the IACV replaced with a new one. She now idles at a smooth 750 warm without stalling as long as it's parked.

This issue of stalling (while driving) under hard braking seems to be related to increased electrical demand on the system. I have Not been able to reproduce the problem when the car is parked. I just replaced the battery 3 weeks ago, because the other 1.5 year"old" battery wouldn't hold charge anymore.

Do you think a failing Alternator could do this? Alternators are voodoo to me. Does the E draw any electricity from the alternator while driving (like for power brakes, A/C, windows), or does the alternator just regenerate the battery and the E draws from the battery?

Thanks!

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,601 Posts
Couple things to check. Take a good look at the ground cables for corrosion esp the body ground. If you have a dvom check for voltage drop while running with everything electrical turned on. Anything over .5 volt is suspect.
Does this happen with a full tank? If not suspect a broken baffle inside the tank causing the fuel pump to suck air during a stop.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couple things to check. Take a good look at the ground cables for corrosion esp the body ground. If you have a dvom check for voltage drop while running with everything electrical turned on. Anything over .5 volt is suspect.
Does this happen with a full tank? If not suspect a broken baffle inside the tank causing the fuel pump to suck air during a stop.
Thank you for the suggestions! I can check the ground, but where (physically) do I measure voltage drop?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My new-to-me '08 EX awd 5 speed with 130k miles does the same thing, especially when cold. She starts up rough but fine, maybe a little light knock at the valves, that smooths out then she dies at the first stop light or two, especially if the fan, heat and defroster is going (which is probably connected to the AC). She fires right back up each time, and if I get on the freeway a bit she's fine the rest of my drive even back in the city. Could this be a low idle setting perhaps? Clogged fuel filter? I've noticed no correlation to empty or full gas tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts