Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody thought about doing this? or does anybody know all the stuff that would be involved... im not a huge gearhead or anything... i figured i could get the parts off a wrecked E from somewhere.
I am thinking about doing this because i lost part of my left leg and it makes it hard to shift with the prosthetic (NO SYMPATHY BS PLEASE) and i love my E dearlEE and really want to keep her.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I remember seeing a thread on this before, but I think someone wanted to swap from auto to manual and it was recommended that it would be less expensive to just purchase another E by the time all the work would be done.

Not sure if it would entail the same thing; I'm no gear head either- just a chick trying to learn some stuff :p If I find the thread I'll certainly update this post.

Manuals are hard to come by and there are always people searching for them on the boards so you may want to consider selling or possibly a trade.

Good luck with everything!

edit: I did a transmission swap search; found lots of stuff, but it was about switching from auto to mt. Maybe you'll be able to find something I couldn't!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm...

I found that thread as well... and that was what i was thinking is just buying the AT... the dealers all want an arm and a leg for the E still and dont give you much for a trade in.

I would still like to know what all would go into a swap like this though.

well if anybody wants to trade a AT for a MT I'm certainly game... I've got a few mods in her but ive also got the Original Head unit for the stereo if its preferred... seriously doubt that you would want me to take the blaupunkt out though... only thing i hafta keep from my E would be the tires... i love my BFG ATs... My E is in pretty good shape

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Yea, auto to manual is much easier than manual to auto. When you go from auto to manual, you can use the same engine/ecu harness, but going the other way would require a new harness to accomodate the auto tranny functions on the ecu. I have converted 3 cars from auto to manual. Two Accords and a 240SX....wasn't that difficult.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Ok, since everyone else is saying no don't do it...

Here's the advice I'll give. I've never thought of going from MT to AT, I'd look at the AT to MT stuff and see what's involved. You'll need to see which parts are different. I'm clueless on that but will give you some starting points.

1) Dash, instrument cluster. Do you have a AT gear selector? Did the '04 show this on the dash? (I have an 07)

2) Gear selector and conections. I suspect you'll need to replace from the shifter to the transmission.

3) Is the ECU the same? Probably not.

4) Wiring harness. You'll definatly need some sort of wiring harness (possibly plural).

5) Axels? Are the drive axels the same part number? I'd hope so, but you never know.

6) Finally, you need the AT and associated mounts.

If you can find one that was rear ended and is an AT, you might be able to get all of the parts. Sounds like a project though. If you plan to do the work yourself, it could be quite fun if you like to do that kind of thing. Otherwise, you'd probably be happier if you just traded someone for an AT.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Currently the E is in NC, i am currently in DC... stupid rehab... anyway i will get some more pics of her... its basically stock except for the mods listed... 54k miles... no mechanical problems ever

·
Registered
657 Posts
Reaper, It certainly can be done if you want it. Its a big job for sure, but its more or less a bolt on project. Its just a matter of getting all the parts together. It will probably cost $2000-4000, depending on how many of the parts are used. So probably the question is - How important is it to you to still be driving the same E? If any orange E will do, then it will be easier to change cars. Cost wise you might actually roughly break even, so if you would rather keep your own then go for it! Either way I support you.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea but when you start doing a big job like that there is always the increased risk of problems afterward... something usually goes wrong... i guess its time to find a new E... now to find one thats the same color, not an EX, from someone that isn't going to charge me an arm and a leg (kind of funny if you remember my situation)

Thanks everybody for the input, needless to say my 2003 E is now (most likely) for sale or trade... but i guess this goes in the swap/sale area... it still makes me sad ;(

and for the record... i did do a thread search for "transmission Swap" but i guess the other one is spelled wrong or something and it didn't show up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts