Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my E for a few weeks now and just changed the manual transmission fluid and oil while was at it. (coolant and rear diff to come.)The guy I bought it from said he had the oil done recently but I figured I would do it just to be safe.
I use Mobil 1 0w20 and Purolator Pure One filters if anyone wonders.

The real reason I did both of these is because my E has 105k on it and I have noticed that the 2nd gear shifts were a little notchy unless you went really slowly to 2nd. It was like the 2nd gear synchro was not matching the speeds as quickly as it should.
I used pennzoil synchromesh (same as the GM synchromesh) because I have had good luck with it in my previous Hondas. I went for a short drive and could tell the difference in the first shift into 2nd. Went in super smooth even with a fast shift.

On a side note whatever was in there was really clean and light colored...almost lighter that fresh oil. The brand new synchromesh was even darker than what I drained out.

I will update in a week or two if there is any change.
you can get pennzoil synchromesh at Autozone...its the only place that I have found that carries it. It comes in a gear oil style bottle and is stocked near the gear oil.

·
Registered
519 Posts
We put Pennzoil in my sons RSX after the motor swap & I agree thats some good stuff. I'm gonna do the same thing to my E in a cpl weeks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, its still going good for me, its definetly improved.
There is still slight notchiness at times going into 2nd but the synchro is probably worn at this point since the car has 106k.

when that or the clutch fails I will definetly be looking into the 6MT mod.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts