Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 EX/AWD/manual. Today, I had MIDAS install a new after market final muffler pipe and tip. My original muffler tip came straight out to the rear. The MIDAS muffler comes out to the right. MIDAS claims that they put my VIN into their system and this part was the result. If I push it, MIDAS will cut new pipe so the muffler tip comes straight out behind.
(1) Is what I have functionally OK? Will it hurt my performance?
(2) Which way do muffler tips come out on 2005+ Elements?
(3) Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
every Element i've seen with OEM exhaust has the exhaust coming straight out the back.
did the Midas guy try to give your vehicle the inspection for free and report that the automatic transmission fluid needed to be flushed? on a manual transmission vehicle.
the Midas guy was able to fabricate a new exhaust hanger for me, after 3 tries, but i decided to not go back there. the hanger was heavy duty rubber material and he kept cutting it to wrong length.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
1. You're fine.
2. Mines an 05, straight out the back with the chrome tip on it.
3. You got an aftermarket muffler so it's only going to function like the OE, not look like it. You'd be surprised at some of the **** I see from aftermarket parts companies.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The OEM exhaust does not come out straight like the aftermarket one pictured above. There is a bend in the piping that points it to the right, but the tip is oriented to point straight back. Mine had an aftermarket tip fitted that also pointed out to the right.

You most likely received a third party part that is a rough copy of the original part.
If it bothers you to look at then maybe it is an issue, otherwise there is no impact on performance.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
The OEM exhaust does not come out straight like the aftermarket one pictured above. There is a bend in the piping that points it to the right, but the tip is oriented to point straight back. Mine had an aftermarket tip fitted that also pointed out to the right.
The shiny aftermarket exhaust in the picture and the OEM pipe are the same shape. It's just a different viewing angle. I just looked at mine a while ago (it FINALLY stopped raining for a day) and my OEM exhaust isn't quite like the OEM in the picture. It's in about 6-7" from the corner instead of being so close. I'm starting to wonder if Honda used more than one shape of pipe at the tail end. There's nothing in the way or hangers to worry about to make it better either way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts