Honda Element Owners Club banner

Multiple engine misfires several cylinders …. Po301,po303,po304.

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Sasquatchmystery 
#1 ·
I have two Honda elements, a 2003, and 2004.
Both have the same problem. I put in new NGK iridium spark plugs and new coils. Still getting the misfire codes intermittently…

the 2003 has 245k on it and good compression and the 2004 has 266k miles.
im thinking next I should pull the air flow meters and clean them… maybe order up new o2 sensors?

they will both randomly at “cold”start up” run erradically and rough upon starting… then if you give them fuel they clean out and run fine…
Anyone have the same problems and found a solution for this? I’m thinking it must either be a electrical issue or fuel delivery problem?

#3 ·
Does it use coolant ? In my situation, mine was doing exactly what you described. Mine ended up being a blown head gasket. Plus I'd get a odd rattle in the engine going up a steep grade. Plus it hear the heater core girlging.

I did do the valve adjust. But didn't fix my problem. It wasn't till I did the blue dye head gasket leak test. And just to be sure. Had my friend use his smog machine to sniff for hydrocarbons.

#4 ·
One owner having 2 elements having similar problems, make we wonder if its a self created issue. Sometimes new parts fail or are of low quality. Is it always the same cylinders that throw the code? If it is, see if swapping plugs and coil packs move the code to the new cylinder. I'd watch your coolant level or do the radiator test for hydrocarbons. Careful what you spray on those sensors, I heard using other cleaners on them can easily mess them up.

#6 ·
I don’t think it would be a self inflicted issue since I bought both of them a month ago from two different people. I adjusted the valves on them both. So far the 2003 seems fine but the 2004 is still having misfire issues, now I got a purge valve code P0443. Going to change that out and see what happens.

#5 ·
Other than a rough start up, do they run fine?
I’d check for vacuum leaks first and look at how old your battery is. I had some misfires (not as many codes as you though) and similar starting problems. I found a major vacuum leak and after replacing the battery all codes cleared themselves. That’s assuming it’s running normal otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.