Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
New to this forum, but if my daughter gets an element, she will probably join.
She LOVES the Element. It appeals to her on many levels. She's only driven one, (she also drove the CRV, was not impressed) and I'm forcing her to try two others so she can be positive. Toyota Rav4 and Mercury Mariner (not exactly a teen car I know). Watched some crash test videos and am scared to buy an Element with no side air bags. So Ive already read the thread about them being optional in 03 & 04 and standard after 05 as well as how to find which 03's & 04's have them by the vin#.
My daughter is going to go to college, she will be taking Art, she may go to college 1 1/2 hours away so she can come home every once in a while.
So, OK you Honda Element lovers, convince me why she should drive a funky, cute box on wheels.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Safety. It is rated very high in crash studies. Plus we have a couple of members involved in horrific accidents and survived without a scratch. They went right back to the element.

It carries a lot. So if she is going to go to away to college it will carry everything she owns and than some.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My son is 19 months old. My E is 2.5 years old. I fully plan to give this one to him when he turns 16. sure I'll have to do some work to it between now and then but it's a Honda it should survive just fine.

If you get a new one 07 or newer the Auto trans has 5 speeds. This equates to better MPG and cruising ease. also the newer ones have standard side curtain air bags.

If she likes outdoorsy type stuff the E is just begging to be parked on a campground somewhere. it is also capable of carrying much luggage and gear. it's well equipt for the National pastime of the average college student..."The Road Trip!!!!!!!!!"

As far as safety goes i wouldn't hesitate a bit. It is a polarizing design so if she likes it that's half the battle.

BTW I test drove the Mariners' cousing the Ford Escape. didn't like it.

good luck

·
Banned
51 Posts
With the big back area(seats up or out) or seats laying flat down, it will give a nice place for her and the boyfriend to stretch out and cuddle LMAO :razz:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Each element comes with complementary crazy people. 33,000 of them. And in regard to the "seating options" I'm sure that everyone knows that doesn't matter. I used to date a girl with an rx7. I'll spare you the details.:D

·
Registered
357 Posts
How comforting. Thank you so much:rolleyes:
Never mind them... besides having a sedan isn't gonna change anything.

it's a good choice. She'll be fine.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I had an '06 E and went off the road, hit a telephone poll then flipped it twice. My E was totaled but I "walked away" with just separated ribs and a couple cuts and bruises. I don't think I would own anything else. This truck saved my life IMO!

It's also very comfortable and has almost everything I would ever want in a vehicle. :cool:

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Welcome, MyKidsMom.

All Elements have front air bags.

Side air bags in the seats were an option in the EX trim level (EX-S) in 2003–04, standard in the EX in 2005, and standard in both LX and EX from 2006 on.

Side-curtain air bags (above the windows) were introduced in 2007 for both LX and EX.

Anti-lock brakes are standard in EX trim in 2003–04 and in both LX and EX from 2005 on.

Based on anecdotal evidence, the Element seems to have a very good crash safety record in the real world, particularly in rollovers.

More info on 2004–09 Elements here.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Roswell.. right down the road from a few of us Atlanta members. If you want to get a better feel of the car, we could always arrange a meet-up and get at least 5-6 Elements there for you ladies to gawk at.

I'm 24 and it's an excellent car for me. The passenger seat just so happens to be at the right height for my girlfriend who is on crutches to just hop right in comfortably. It's great on many levels. :)

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Hi all,
New to this forum, but if my daughter gets an element, she will probably join. . . . . So, OK you Honda Element lovers, convince me why she should drive a funky, cute box on wheels.
My daughter (soon to turn 17) has my Kiwi and she loves it. I have not yet convinced her, or her brother (drives an 03 SOP) to post here. They lead busy lives. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Just get her the Element.................................

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
My daughter (soon to turn 17) has my Kiwi and she loves it. I have not yet convinced her, or her brother (drives an 03 SOP) to post here. They lead busy lives. :rolleyes:
My two--who also have E's rarely post. (You know an E is a cool car when your kiddo's don't mind driving the same car as you do).

They lead VERY busy lives, one is war and the other is Iphone I think:confused:

You should get you your own E too:D

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Something that has been a bit brushed over here is that with such a large support group here, if you daughter does become interested in adding, changing or modifying something on her E, we have a large enough skill base that we can assist over the internet with good advice and lessons on what not to do as well.
As for how much we love the Element, we bought one (sometimes more than one) each... Any investment that someone's willing to be that vocally and actively in favor of is worth taking a serious look at.
Bit of advice though, have her help pay a bit for it. It'll give her more of a sense of responsibility toward it and makes her want to take great care of it all the more. (She'll hate this bit of advice, I know I did when my dad got it from a friend)

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
are you sure she deserves an Element?
she's probably your princess and all that, but how does she drive, and does she know how to take care of a vehicle?
my son is about to turn 21, and based on what he's done to vehicles we have and had, i wouldn't buy him anything.
of course, your daughter may be perfect.
like the Element. <grin>

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Just buy one, I feel safe in mine plus when she is bringing home her huge paintings, there will be room.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unless the driver is 5 feet ten or taller, it is hard to see out of the Element. I'm frequently surprised by cars sneaking past me in the right lane, even after adding convex stick-on side mirrors. A backup camera would also be helpful. If she really wants one, two wheel drive and a stick shift get better mileage and performance. Or at least the 5-speed automatic. The 4-speed automatic bites.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts