Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just bought a used 2006 Honda Element.I absolutely love the vehicle! but shortly after buying my E We started to notice hard shifting from 1-2nd gear and 2-3rd gear! Doesn’t happen every time we shift in those gears but happens quite frequently! So basically we have to drive it so gingerly so they car doesn’t shift so hard In those gears! Also there is an engine light on the dash that showed up soon after we bought it. We scanned it and a P2422 code came up saying that the EVAP is stuck closed. My husband is a newer mechanic and says that the EVAP being stuck closed has nothing to do with the hard shifting... we have little savings till I start school next semester. What could the actual problem be.. also we have higher mileage at 174,000

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,088 Posts
Welcome to the EOC LT85GEM! :)

I'm not really well versed on this subject. You may want to do a search on this site for more info.

But, it could be a problem with your shift solenoids. The good news is they are external and not too difficult to remove. Here is a helpful link with a video on the shift solenoids:

Also, don't be too quick to rule out an engine problem. If something is not quite right on the engine, the change in engine power demand of a shift can possibly cause a rough shift. (I'm old school; it worked like that on old GM Turbo 350s and 400s anyway!)

And of course at 174K miles, the lack of regular ATF changes could hurt things too. While you're searching, look for some How To on ATF; there's a 3 times fill and drain procedure that works well. And always use genuine Honda ATF.

Hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts