Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there

My 4 month old Element has unbeknown to me leaked nearly all of its oil.
It is going to the dealer tomorrow, but I am not happy about this at all. I would like to know if anyone knows what this could do to the engine as I dont really know that much. I noticed a huge puddle of oil where I park, I felt under the car to see if it was coming from there and it is, I then checked the oil stick and it is almost empty. I would like to be able to go to the dealer tomorrow with some knowledge of what harm it may do. Please help!!
(I use my Element around town, have about 3000 miles on it)
Thanks very much!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The best answer is "it depends". It depends on:

Why did it leak? If the drain plug was loose, fine. But if it was tight, you may have a worse problem to deal with. If it all cam out at once, you may have damaged the sump by hitting something which poked a hole in it -- hit any big potholes??

The bottom line is the oil lubricates every moving part inside your engine and, without it, the parts wear much more rapidly.

I would ask the dealer to strain the remaining oil when it's drained and remove the sump pan to see if there are any obvious metal filings (very small pieces of metal) in the oil or at the bottom of the pan. This will tell you whether there has been any substantial damage. Filings typically come from bearings -- camshaft bearings usually take the first hit since they're at the top of the engine and most prone to oil starvation. Rod bearings can also be damaged if there isn't enough oil in the sump.

Good luck.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Some of middle 90's Accords and Preludes had a problem of the main oil seal walking out and draining the engine of all the oil. I hope that ugly little problem isn't rearing its head again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. As far as I know, it seems to have been a slow leak. I noticed a wet spot a several weeks ago, and thought it was moisture from air conditioning, but the spot grew in size which led me to think it may be oil leaking. As far as I know I havent hit any potholes, I just hope it hasnt done too much damage to the engine. I will post the results of what the problem is when I find out incase anyone else comes across the same thing.

Thanks once again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Gobbletwo - I see your location is the Dry Tortugas. I would love to see some pictures of your E parked in front of Fort Jefferson!

Did you get very wet driving out to the Tortugas?

:lol:

K

·
Registered
894 Posts
Jeepeers, I have seen a patch and assumed it is the A/C draining. I will have a check as soon as I can of the oil level. As well as check that patch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just took my Element in for the THIRD time for this exact problem. I noticed a few drops on the garage floor, took a look under the engine compartment, couldn't find any leaks and took it to the dealer where I purchased it when I was living in San Diego a few months back.
The first visit, the dealer couldn't find a leak themselves and told me that they will put dye in the oil and for me to keep a close eye on the oil level and bring it back it. Then, they would be able to hold a flourescent light up under the car and, with the dye glowing, determine the origin of the leak. So, two weeks later, I bring it back in and they replaced some sort of seal on the passenger side rear-facing corner of the engine. The leak persisted, and I called the dealership and they said that they would have to call the "Honda Tech Line" and do the next step in the troubleshooting process.
However, I was unable to take it back in over the next 6000 miles due to school, work and moving to LA. So, this last Saturday I finally took it in again and I got a call from the service advisor telling me that the last dealership did some "weird stuff" and that I'll get a call from him today to let me know if I can pick it up today or tomorrow. Three days without my E... :(

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't know what Seal it is, but mine is leaking.. I had a mechanic look at the oil filter and its not coming from there, which is what I first thought of.

Buy a Honda and you don't think you'll have these types of problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Picked up my E last night. The service advisor told me that they replaced the oil pan gasket and ran it for a few hours with no sign of leakage. They added dye to the oil and told me that if it is leaking again, to bring it back in and they will be able to locate the leak using a light and they dye in the oil to find it.
So, now we'll see. They did change my oil and filter (which I was due for coincidentally) and washed the E, so I'm a little happier. But, I'm a little wary that my problem may rear its ugly little head again :? ...I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
[quote:786c7efacd="kevmi44"] They did change my oil...[/quote:786c7efacd]

Can you really say they changed your oil when you were leaving it in the street? :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
My father purchased an element 5 months ago (2WD EX Blk/silver) He has barely 200 miles on it and it is garage kept.

I was speaking to him a few days ago and he is now telling me he is noticing a puddle of oil on the garage floor. So I figured to do a search and see what I could find. well here I am.

This Element seems to have several other problems, body noise coming from the rear passanger side (honda not able to duplicate)
and was poorly prepped in my opinion on delivery. Plastic molding dirty and scracthed. Bumber has a huge gouge in it.

I've herd of first year model problems but to have an oil leak at 200 miles? Also Im seeing complaints at nhtsa about defective windsheilds? How many people here have experienced this issue and is it it something to worry about?

Regards,
Dennis

·
EOC Founder, Admin
2,897 Posts
Dennis,

Sorry to hear about your dad's oil leak. There have been a few mentions on this board about oil leaks, but not many and this is the largest community of owners you'll find in one spot. I wonder if it could have been a group of E's produced around the same time or something. Who knows.

As for the other items, yes...the Element has had a few flaws but the 03 is the first model year and Honda seems to be stepping up and correcting all the issues.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts