Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did try to search for this. Only found the opposite problem. While driving if I hit a bump hard or if going around a turn while hitting a bump, my doors unlock. And sometimes the interior lights even come on. I'm guessing that this might be a safety thing, like the car anticipating a crash (doors unlock so emergency personel can gain access). But it will sometimes do it on the slightest bump it almost seems as if my car is posessed. Does anyone else's E do this?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Doors unlocking

How long has this been happening? This happened to me when I was on a back road once. Then, I stopped and made sure all the doors were closed. Turned out one of the back doors wasn't closed all the way(I don't remember right off hand if the dash light was on showing an open door). As soon as I closed it, the problem stopped.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Do they re-lock if you go over a dip in the road?

I think you have Zombies. :confused::confused:

Better call Jojo.

CoolE'sRule

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This has been happening basically since day 1 I've had the E. I also had a hideous ticking noise from the front passenger seat area. After about oh let's say 8 or 9 visits (and recordings of this noise, honda techs are deaf) it seems to have vanished on it's own. But the doors always do this. They don't physically open, just locks pop up. And the interior lights will sometimes get in on the act. And mine are always turned off. (even off in the door-open position)The door open/close thing always shows doors are closed.

Maybe that's where the zombies hide....in kiwi E's! I think we have uncovered something here.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
almost sounds like a remote is jambed in somewhere and it is hitting the unlock button. go under the driver dash and unplug the littl keyless entry box and see if it still does it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
almost sounds like a remote is jambed in somewhere and it is hitting the unlock button. go under the driver dash and unplug the littl keyless entry box and see if it still does it.
Thanks for the info. Or I can just keep terrorizing the honda techs at my dealership lol.:lol::lol:

·
Registered
202 Posts
This happened to me too one day, lights and lock. I stopped and checked all the door. None of them seemed closed improperly, but I opened and re-closed each one. That seemed to do the trick.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yoda E SC said:
...go under the driver dash and unplug the littl keyless entry box and see if it still does it.
Good call!!!! This is an easy step and eliminates the keyless system as a culprit.

Once the keyless system has been eliminated, it could be several things from the physical adjustment of the door to the multiplex system. But the easiest by far to check is make sure your physical door switches are functioning properly.

Assuming your dome light is switched to the DOOR position and comes on when the doors are opened, proceed to open the front driver's door and ensure the interior light comes on. Then press the door switch in by hand (ensure the switch moves smoothly and is not broken or binding) to simulate the door being closed and see if the light dims and then goes out. Repeat for the passenger side door.

If the light dims and eventually goes out like normal, you can assume the switch is good and the next step is to see if a door is not adjusted properly. This can be checked by sitting in the vehicle with the doors closed and pressing firmly on each door to see if the dome light comes on (all first generation CRVs with the sliding L-shaped door switches as well as 2nd and 3rd gen CRV rear door switches with the same design were bad for this, especially if the rubber bumpers on them came off. We would "adjust" them by wrapping layers of electrical tape around the extension part of the slider to take up the clearance of the missing rubber bumper :D).

If all door adjustments check out fine, it is very likely electrical in nature and a service manual may be required to diagnose the problem area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts