Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my EX 2WD I have had it for less than a month and have already taken it to the shop for repair on the alignment it pulls to the right a bit, they say they fixed it but it still does it and they say this is normal. Does any one's EX do this? Let me know. :D [/b]

·
Registered
335 Posts
The Element is a front wheel drive vehicle and is subject to "torque steer". During accelleration, the torque of the engine will cause the vehicle to pull to one side. You will experience this when starting from a dead stop and during hard accelleration such as passing. This is normal and is present in all front wheel drive vehicles in varying degrees. At cruising speed, you shouldn't notice this effect. I believe that this may be what you are experiencing. If you have never driven a front driver before, it can be quite unnerving, but you'll become used to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you I am very annoyed about this right pull, but I use to drive another front wheel drive vehicle and I didnt feel this way. Most people I Speak to say that it shouldnt pull to the right.

·
Registered
352 Posts
OOHH - How I love stuff like this - makes it seem that my 5 years in engineering school weren't a waste. Here's an engineering explanation to the problem. From a structural standpoint, drive shafts are like jump ropes. When 2 people are spinning a jump rope, the further they are apart, the bigger the arc gets. On your car, the longer drive shaft (this one being the right hand) will actually spin in a larger arc than the left one. Since the ends of the shaft are fixed, the longer one will try to pull in the right wheel, this is when you get "torque steer". Many manufacturers, including Honda will put a suppport bearing in the middle of the longer drive shaft to minimize the effect. I didn't get a chance to see if the right drive shaft has a support bearing, but I bet it does. I have been driving front wheel drivers for so long, that I don't even notice it any more. Lesson over.

·
Registered
352 Posts
OOHH - How I love stuff like this - makes it seem that my 5 years in engineering school weren't a waste. Here's an engineering explanation to the problem. From a structural standpoint, drive shafts are like jump ropes. When 2 people are spinning a jump rope, the further they are apart, the bigger the arc gets. On your car, the longer drive shaft (this one being the right hand) will actually spin in a larger arc than the left one. Since the ends of the shaft are fixed, the longer one will try to pull in the right wheel, this is when you get "torque steer". Many manufacturers, including Honda will put a suppport bearing in the middle of the longer drive shaft to minimize the effect. I didn't get a chance to see if the right drive shaft has a support bearing, but I bet it does. I have been driving front wheel drivers for so long, that I don't even notice it any more. Lesson over.

·
Registered
55 Posts
To answer your question we need to know when it pulls to the right. Does the pulling to the right increase when you stomp on the gas, the break or if your just coasting. I notice a little pull when I first take off but not on breaking or coasting. I don't think you should either.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I haven't noticed any pull to the right in my 4wd, but when I test drove the Outlander, I felt it. The dealer said it could be because the roads were slanted down to the right for water to run off :?:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Lordy -I wish sales poeple had a basic understanding of the products they're trying to sell. Slanting roads causing torque steer - AAARRRGGGHHH.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi All- We've had our EX 4WD Auto for a week now and have also noticed the slight torque steer (to the right) during moderate/brisk acceleration from a full stop and also hitting the accelerator to pass. It's not noticeable if you are firmly gripping the steering wheel while accelerating. It's clearly apparent when holding the wheel very lightly or not at all (when it's safe) and then accelerating. Funny just came across this post tonight when I was planning on posting the same question. It would be interesting to hear if others are experiencing this slight pulling to the right during acceleration also.

SF HONDA H2
Don, Phil and Chloe the Bulldog

·
Registered
22 Posts
My wife purchased an Outlander in January and we noticed a pull to the right. I called the service department and they said that a TSB had been issued and to bring it in. I checked the paper work after picking it up and was surprised what they had to do to correct it. It seems that they had a bad front in procedure at the factory and decided to fix it in the field.
BTW, my wife loves her car.

As I write this I am sitting in my room at the Ritz-Carlton in Naples Florida thinking of the 230 mile trip. I drove down in my Element and I too noticed a bit of pull to the right at highway speeds using cruise control.
It was more pronounced on I-4 than 1-75, but nonetheless still there. I will keep an eye on it and call the dealer next week.

I never have had a vehicle that got so many looks and stares. I even got a "thumbs-up" from a guy driving a pick-up truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
there is somewaht of a pull to the right, a lot of it is due to road crown. but, if you are ina left lane and stills pulls right, cross rotate the front tires...left to right and right to left, should handle your concerns

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have noticed a bit of a tendency to pull right when I steer left. I have to remember to be a bit more careful on the gas when I turn the corner. This seems to be all the more an issue if the road is slick from rain. Definitely something to careful in the winter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts