Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had this happen ever before. Was on my way to a charity function, when a lady nearly sideswiped me, and I went around her, on the freeway, and then she tailgated me, before changing lanes, I looked in rearview mirror..and suddenly I was rear ending an AT&T van in front of me. I had no time at all to brake. He put his on hard at that time.

My airbags did not employ. My Service dog went nearly through the window :( I hurt a LOT. But all in all, we got off OK, I guess. Just devastated. Insurance thinks it's fixable, but I doubt it. Tow guy said no way on earth. My beloved E is toast. Heartbroken. I love love love my E so much, and it's still financed. If it's toast, I will be out a car, of any sort.

Can't believe it was just three years ago, when I was waxing my baby every week, to this. Watching it go off on a tow truck to possibly it's death. What a time, too. I'm disabled, and have no insurance for a rental. Cuz I need specialized gear. I have two charity functions this weekend for photography of mine....

Of all the people who talk on the phone, and whatever.....why me?? I don't! I am conscientious and courteous. I take care of my baby. And yet, this fluke happens....

In shock..

·
Registered
816 Posts
wow,,so sorry to hear about your accident,,however its great to hear you walked away from the accident with minor injuries...hope the dog is fine,,good luck,,

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Wow! I hope you and your dog are OK. I met you at the San Diego meet a few years back and I've seen you around town here and there. I remember all the stickers on the back window.

No airbags, that's not cool, lawsuit?

Life can be hard sometimes, when it throws you lemons... you know the rest :grin:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, make lemonade? Hope I can figure that out. Everyone is puzzled by the airbags. I hit straight on, 35+ mph. Neither deployed. Borias is limping, but just a little. I'm sore a lot, but not enough to get treated. Just strange.

Figures the van had a slight indentation at the rear, and my front end looked like that. Yeah, I've dreamt of having this E for like 4 years, and finally got it. SO hope it's not the end. Been paying quite bit every month to have it. I get SSI, and am trying to make it on my dog photography. I was just about to get a vinyl for my studio, Heart Dog Studios on the car.

Maybe a miracle can help it get back to normal, but as you can see from the pic... eeeeek.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I am really sorry to hear that. Life is not fair, not at all! I wish you all the best and really hope you can get your Kiwi back! :)

Take care!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Sorry to hear about your E and if it was that hard of a hit the bags should have gone off. Do you have any photos and what has the insurance Co said about the damage.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'm so, so sorry. :(

Didn't Orangee just post about the airbags not deploying in his accident?
Yep.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, and glad you made it ok. It might be worth sending Honda a letter detailing your experiences and noting that the bags didn't deploy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, sorry I haven't replied in awhile. I do have a pic, and the insurance company said it's fixable. It's $7K worth of damage. The entire front end took the impact, and the frame and engine are OK. Whew. Other than some sensors on the front of the engine. So it did it's job absorbing the impact. Looks pretty horrid, though! It's gonna be at least two weeks, though I'm sure it's gonna take longer. Usually does I hear.
I'm found 100% at fault, too. That sucks. Nothing I could've done to avoid it, other than not leaving home when I did!

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Thats great that you are getting it fixed. I can see why the airbags didn't go off. The hit was above the frame and the 2 sensors in the front are on the frame horns. Look at the vehicles that are being repaired at the body shop you are taking it to to see how their work is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just wanted to comment and say that the exact same thing happened to my toaster (except it wasn't my fault, for the first time ever!!!). They have done about 8k in work at this point and it has been 3 weeks to the day from when the accident happened.
WARNING: everytime i have gotten the Toaster back it has broken down on me 10 min later. It has officially gone to the shop 3 times now and before it had NEVER been. I had this car for 5 years, put over 70k miles on it and besides new tires and oil changes it never went in for work.
Now i can't keep it out of the shop. 1) wreck 2) throttle sensor 3) this time they don't know what is going on with it-they FINALLY sent it to a freaking Honda dealer to have them look at it. It has been 4 days and still i have heard nothing.
I really hope that you don't end up having the same issues that i did but our accidents look VERY familier...

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
what the he_ L ? I've seen way to many E's wrecked here lately

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Hello HeartK9,

You are lucky your E can get fixed...

I struck a big SUV never seeing it in the dark...

The City of Lake Forest (CA) turned off all lights the day before. 'Setting a trap'. Like a patsy I rolled through the intersection, never knowing I was crossing another major parkway...

Bag deployed, my E is dead... I am SAD!!! STILL...

Only about 10+ more miles per hour...

I wish I could bring my E back...

....and then there is the 'NEW LOVE'...!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
You look at that photo and can see how well built the E is. I love this car....

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
You look at that photo and can see how well built the E is. I love this car....
Both doors, driver and passenger, would still open and close shut. Not quite as smooth though... :-I

·
Registered
23 Posts
Both doors, driver and passenger, would still open and close shut. Not quite as smooth though... :-I
It's still fixable, of course it might not be worth what it takes to do it... on the other hand, Heartdog- yours is easily repairable! It's about 5 days worth of work plus the time for parts shipping but actually pretty easy for the body shop to do. Fear not, you'll have it back just the way you remembered it.

These things are pretty easy to straighten out; here's the one I'm workin on- about 5 hours to straighten out the front end so far. (looked worse than yours)

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts