Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! :D
I thought some of you might enjoy pictures of a basic audio system complete with component separates, coaxials, a couple amps, and a twelve inch sub in a decent enclosure - all of which is well hidden from prying eyes (except the sub)...

· Registered
183 Posts
EMASS, with that thing on FULL BLAST you might make your BOX ELEMENT into A CIRCULAR BEETLE :lol: 8) :D :shock:

HEY AT LEAST YOU GET MORE HEADROOM...............RIGHT? :p

· Registered
12 Posts
maybe i'm wrong, and correct me if I am, but isnt it usually not a good thing to mix and match components? i.e. if you have jl speakers in the front, you should have them in the back as well.

I could have sworn that I had heard that somewhere before. maybe i'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

· Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote:d502601545="katchwreck"]maybe i'm wrong, and correct me if I am, but isnt it usually not a good thing to mix and match components? i.e. if you have jl speakers in the front, you should have them in the back as well.

I could have sworn that I had heard that somewhere before. maybe i'm wrong, feel free to correct me.[/quote:d502601545]

It's extremely common to mix and match components. The reason many people have the idea that it's bad is because all of the competition vehicles they see generally have components from the same vendor. This is usually because they are sponsored (read: paid) to use a specific brand.

I try hard to choose the best sounding product for each application in my vehicles and as with anything "the best" products are always consistently changing. New manufacturers displace old ones and sometimes old manufacturers return to greatness.

3 years ago I was using Eclipse head units, MB Quart for fronts & rears, PPI amps, & JL Audio Subs. I would have never in my wildest dreams have thought I'd use MTX for amps (MTX was considered junk for a long time), drop MB Quart components (they got too bright sounding - quality went downhill), and I never, ever thought I'd start using Eclipse subs over JL audio. IMO - Focal now has the most natural sounding mid/high component set I've ever heard for under $400 - and I've listened to a LOT of component sets. To me, the Eclipse subs have the smoothest, most musical response of any sub - ever. :shock:

So the only thing that I remained brand-loyal to over the past 3 years is the Eclipse head unit!

Anyway - based on my sound prefs, this combination gets me to my favorite audio sound sweet spot - silky smooth highs, crisp mids, and tight warm musical bass. (I oughta be in product marketing - huh?:lol:)

I'd certainly agree in theory that it sounds like a good idea to stick with the same brand but FWIW I've never come across a single manufacturer that could do everything really well. :D (and believe me - I'm such an Eclipse fanatic I only WISH that someday they can do it all well)

P.S. I chose the JL's for the rear doors because they are a warm sounding coaxial with very respectable (not harsh) tweets. The reality is that in any good system, you fade down the back speakers quite a bit anyway though so they don't compete with the front soundstage - rather they just supplement it for the back seat listeners. Most people looking for sound quality just use them for filler.

· Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote:7ffbdd08fa="Black Elephant"]Where is the best place to bring the power leads from the battery through the firewall? Also, take some silicone spray to that engine bay!
Nice setup.[/quote:7ffbdd08fa]

In the picture above where the wiring at the battery is shown - you can actually see the spot on the firewall where the wires have been routed through.

...and you're absolutely right about needing a good healthy dose of silicon spray for the bay. :oops:

· Registered
141 Posts
Beauuuuuuuutiful.......

Definitely don't have to worry about a muddy middle there. Crisp, clear highs and BOOMING lows I'm sure.

B

· Registered
493 Posts
eMass, where did that power cord of blue wires go from the battery thru the dash to? Did you have to drill a hole, or use an existing hole that had something already going thru? I tried an existing hole that had a grommet around it, but could not see or find it on the underside of the dash for my power to the ham radio. I ran mine from the battery to between the fender and body to the door where I brought it under the door weatherizing stuff and into the cab. Looks like it "might" pinch, but I do not think so.

Ger

· Registered
2 Posts
i ran my power cord along the left fender also, but i made a hole just large enough for it to go through with a grommet close to where the hood release wire is run. you can find the area by simply following the hood realease wire, or by removing the plastic side panel where the front wheel is. i managed to run it without having to remove the outside panel with some tricky use of a coathanger and a small drill to make the hole.

· Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just bumping this thread since a lot of people have been IM'ing me asking about install specifics. For those folks - please check out the pics and descriptions in this post - they cover a lot.

· Registered
4 Posts
:?: eMASS,
I bought the JL Audio 6.5's and I am having a hard time getting them to fit. How did you get them to sit flush? I cut out pretty much all of the plastic behind the speakers and they still wouldn't set all the way back. Did you also use the baffels behind these speakers too?
Thanks for your help,
Garth

· Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[quote:9f01c79b2a="gc1021"]:?: eMASS,
I bought the JL Audio 6.5's and I am having a hard time getting them to fit. How did you get them to sit flush? I cut out pretty much all of the plastic behind the speakers and they still wouldn't set all the way back. Did you also use the baffels behind these speakers too?
Thanks for your help,
Garth[/quote:9f01c79b2a]

I used a trim ring on the JL's which keeps the speaker depth out of the door cavity just enough - also, no baffles on these but I bet adding baffles with or instead of trim rings would give you plenty of depth to work with - only concern with using both is the height protruding into the grille.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Please fill me in, what is silicone spray for in the engine compartment, is it that engine detailer stuff or something better.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.