Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just one problem with my E...it stinks like rottin eggs. Its so bad that I don't want to drive with the windows down. I took it to the dealer today, and they told me that there was nothing that could be done and to switch gas stations as some gas will affect your vehicle in this way. I guess I will give this a try.

Anybody else been told this?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Never heard that before...I was told to use "good" gas, but not that it will make your car smell.

Did you check your car for a dead animal? That might be the smell...or even real eggs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have never heard that about the gas. I have heard when a catalytic converter fails that a rotten egg smell is produced. I would assume this is the source of the smell.

·
Registered
102 Posts
For what it's worth... I recall the guys on _Car Talk_ (some time back) stating that such odors can result from chemical reactions when combining different brands of gasoline. Some combinations result in interactions between additive compounds which can lead to foul odors as the multi-brand mixture gets burned. Their advice was to avoid mixing brands...

·
Registered
6 Posts
:(
That "rotten egg" smell is in fact, sulfur dioxide. Exhaust "fumes" contain sulfur dioxide which when passing through the catalytic converter at certain temperatures and atmospheric conditions they can condense and create water vapors both inside and outside of the exhaust chambers. These water vapors combine with the sulfur dioxide (in your exhaust) which emit a very distinct "rotten egg" smell.
The most common advice given to resolve this rotten problem is to use a higher octane rated fuel; preferrably a brand with less know additives. Sonoco is pretty well known as the preffered go-juice for muscle cars for this very reason. This brand may be a little more expensive but its worth it. Give it a try! But be patient! It may take a few tanks to rid you of this problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have read some posts where others have had this same problem. According to their post, the Dealership replaced the catalytic converter. If it keeps on smelling, try to get the Dealership to replace it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine has the same problem. It smells like rotten eggs coming from the engine compartment. It doesnt happen all the time, but does happen more often than I like. It reminds me of the way Daytona Beach, FL water smells.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I changed places where I got gas and presto...no more smell. It was the gas!

·
Registered
1 Posts
wow, yeah. my element stinks to high heaven. So, what kind of gas do you use now? I've always wondered what the deal was because it doesn't seem right that some of the people's elements stink and some don't, so the gas they're using might really be the difference. I've got to try that out. Thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm...don't know the brand. Its 7-11 variety store gas :)

I was getting gas at Canadian Tire Gas Bar. As soon as I switched, the stink stopped. I will after a couple of tanks switch back and see it it returns.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Update: It has been a couple of weeks and I went on a 500 mile roundtrip and a few days to work and no stink. It is strange; it just comes and goes. Maybe it is the gas. Gas nowadays have so many additives.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had the rotten egg smell when I first got the car and the dealer said this was due to the catalytic converter being new, as well as the gas I was using, and that it would go away in time...which it it did!

Now I have a new "stink". When I open the fresh air vent which brings in air from the outside rather than re-circulating the interior air, I get a terrible smell very much like a urine-soaked alley(!). I am wondering if this has something to do with the A/C filter or did some sicky pour their "specimen" down my front vent? Any other people experiencing this? :roll:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A friend of mine had this problem. The smell stayed for years. Oh, and one more thing...there were little paw prints all over his hook the day he noticed it :)

I think you had a Cat say hello to ya.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I was told when I first test drove an Element that the smell was do to the engine and it would go away in time. I test drove a couple before I bought and they all did it. I bought one and it had the smell as well for the first couple of drives but it left and never returned. I've used different brands of gas and it made no difference but like I said, once it left it didn't return.

·
Registered
25 Posts
[quote:7ed0a6966e="Hank"]I had the rotten egg smell when I first got the car and the dealer said this was due to the catalytic converter being new, as well as the gas I was using, and that it would go away in time...which it it did!

Now I have a new "stink". When I open the fresh air vent which brings in air from the outside rather than re-circulating the interior air, I get a terrible smell very much like a urine-soaked alley(!). I am wondering if this has something to do with the A/C filter or did some sicky pour their "specimen" down my front vent? Any other people experiencing this? :roll:[/quote:7ed0a6966e]

The AC stink has been a common problem with Hondas and many other manufacturers. The problem is usually caused by people using their AC, and never opening the fresh vents before they put the car away.

The evaporator box gets full of condensation and sits there wet, and grows mold and mildew which causes the stink.

Take it to the dealership and have them clean it out, then when your driving and can bare it, about 10 minutes before you get to wherever you are going, turn off the AC and leave the blower on with the fresh air vent open, so that it helps to dry out the evaportator cores box better. Of course there could also be a problem with your drain tube not allowing the condensation to drain out of the box, which could accelerate the stink.

Good Luck,
If they dont want to fix it under warranty, and you dont want to pay to have it done, then the ghetto way is to get a medium sized can of Lysol spray and spray it all down the vents and let it sit for a couple hours, then turn the blower on High, and stay out of the car for about 10 to 50 minutes for it to clear out, this usually works, but only for about 3 months or so then the stink returns as the mold and mildew build backup.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts