Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been putting up with the noise coming from the rear hatch for 2 months now. It happens mostly when turning right. There have been a few threads here addressing the issue with some ideas for fixes. So far none had worked for my noise until the other day. Was bringing home a new bookcase. It was a tad too long so I had to drive about 7 miles home with both back hatches open. This allowed the top hatch to extend a lot while going over speed bumps. The next day I noticed the noise was gone. It has been about a week and the noise has not returned. Hopefully it won't!

·
Registered
33 Posts
If it's a clunking noise when you turn one direction, have you considered the possibility that it's a seatbelt buckle swinging against the interior? I've noticed the seatbelts will rattle if they're in the wrong places. Perhaps swinging the seats up and down moved the belts to where they are supposed to be.

Food for thought. YMMV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I did think of the seatbelts at first. I latched them and still the noise. Nothing is moving in the spare tire area. Checked the whole thing out. Even had someone ride in the back to listen for it. Definitely somewhere high up in the hatch. Well, the sound hasn't come back yet and hopefully it will never return.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For what it's worth, I have heard the same thing in two elements, one 2WD and one 4WD. Like a little thing is rolling a short bit and then hits something. Kind of hard to describe exactly, but definitely seems to be the exact same thing as described here. So far always on turns, not always tight turns, but more often on tight turns. Left and right turns, not sure if one more than the other.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I notice a creaking noise from the back end when the vehicle is turning at slow speed and going over a curb- eg entering or leaving a driveway. After having someone sit behind the rear seats it appears it is coming from the rear hatch and is happening when the body is flexing.First service is several months away at the rate I`m going- may have to make a special trip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Short Blue Bus was making the same noise in the same way (turning right, clunking sound from rear) We took it back to the dealer and they had to adjust the latch on the rear hatch. That fixed that problem. Now we noticed more noises up front. I will make a separate post now to see if Im alone on that one.....

dp

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone been told by their dealer that is SHOULD be fixed?

If letting it alone will cause a worse problem, I will take it in to the dealer right away... If not, then I'll just wait until I make a trip their for regular service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
rattle on turns

i don't know a lot about elements but i spent 20 years at honda in alliston ontario .i worked for 6 years in the repair dept, and spent hours on the test track looking for the same noise you describe. during assembly associates would drop screws which would get stuck in the frame chanels before the carpets went in. it takes a lot of patience and a strong stomach to lay in the back of a civic with no rear seats and carpet while someone swerves left and right till we find the little bugger. i hope this is not the case for you but i thought i would pass it on anyway

copperhead

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have this same problem when going over small bumps in the road. Really annoying clunking sound coming from the rear. like a loose strut tower or something. Anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Assembly line workers in days of old used to keep ball bearings in their pockets, and would strategically place one in a structural body channel before welding it closed. Most devilish trick drank free at the beer bar that night.

HalfaHum

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Has anyone checked the rear license plate light assembly? I was getting a clunk and quickly chased the problem to the left rear license plate lamp not being properly mounted. They just pop into place. Stick your fingers in there and see if it moves. If so, and its still loose, maybe some double sided tape or anything to keep it in place.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Indeed I do after putting up with a friends Corvette in the 80's. That thing was a clunk machine. Id had the E for a day when I went clunck hunting. Only one thats puzzling me is the front dash area. Thinking maybe its a loose speaker wire.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I discovered tonight what should have been a clunk, but never made a sound... The rear passenger door bottom rail latch hook thingy is totally loose and flopping around. I discovered it by accident, after closing the door and seeing it do a shake as it closed. Just two large phillips screws, but will likely need some fooling with it for proper alignment.

HalfaHum

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Figured out the front noise around the dash was actually the sun visor mounting screws! Both were super loose with one being held from falling by the plastic trim. A quick run over with a flat head screw driver and its all good. The plastic trim just came right off with a little twist.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts