Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So Ive started working on a front seat swap in my 04 E, and while this wont have detailed pictures or function as a DIY, it should help anyone understand the amount of work involved and if its something they want to do.
Unlike the other Honda OEM seat swaps, I will not be reusing the Element seat rails, this will be more like an aftermarket seat install and I will be fabricating my own seat bracket to bolt these new seat rails too.

I am using OEM leather seats from a Hyundai Tiburon, which I was able to snag very cheap and are OEM grade which means they pass all crash rating standards. (not the case with many aftermarket seats)

This is just sitting in place, which puts your rear end a couple inches lower than stock.

I will most likely be lifting them up slightly with the custom brackets to set the seating platform at the same height as OEM, but I will give them more rear ward movement & tilt the fronts up just a hair higher.
I think I will get a little more clearance underneath for amps as well, which will be needed at a later date. lol
These seats are sooo much more comfortable than the E seats, I cannot wait to get them installed.

A question I came across yesterday though, is WTF is this thing attached to the seat belt reciever?

My E does not have side airbags, so the seat belt should only have a SRS sensor. However this thin canister thing clearly states it contains an explosive material.

This is the assembly removed from the OEM seat

And this uses the same 14mm bolt as the Hyundai seats, so I will easily be able to mount these latches to the new seats. I will be fabbing up a front C bracket to hold the canister, and drill a small hole near the bolt hole to match the Honda latch alignment tab. Then its just a matter of trimming the plastic around it & either leave it uncovered (will be hidden by a center console I plan to build) or make my own cover piece to hide it.

So does anyone know WHY this thing contains an explosive compound?
Does my E have the rare unpublished 007 ejection seat option? lol

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
That is the automatic belt tensioner, activated in the event of a crash.
Damm. Was liking the idea of seat ejector system. Be tough though w/o an overhead sun roof. Oh well, guess the belt tnsioner makes sense. Like the seats. Pics, when installed, please.

·
12,178 Posts
In the event of a sever enough accident an explosive charge goes off in the cylinder causing the buckle to retract 2-3 inches to take up the slack in the seat belt. The mechanism in the should belt also locks up.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats crazy, never would have thought such a thing. Sounds almost dangerous, but Im sure its had some serious R&D done around it.
Was really pulling for it being an ejection seat though.

I hope to get started on the brackets this weekend.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Thats crazy, never would have thought such a thing. Sounds almost dangerous, but Im sure its had some serious R&D done around it.

BTW, your speaker box is working splendidly. Finally got around to installing it about 2 weeks ago. You should have warned me about the b!tch bolt that's underneath that one metal piece. I saw that and was like "Oh hell no he didn't?!?!?" :razz:

·
12,178 Posts

They can be dangerous. While not a bad as an airbag they still need to be handled with care. every couple of months we have to set off airbags and buckles before we can dispose of them and the buckles make a hell of a noise when they go off.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, your speaker box is working splendidly. Finally got around to installing it about 2 weeks ago. You should have warned me about the b!tch bolt that's underneath that one metal piece. I saw that and was like "Oh hell no he didn't?!?!?" :razz:
:grin: I know exactly which one you are talking about, but it didnt seem that difficult to get to so I figured you could get it. Glad to hear you finally got it up & running, and hope you enjoy it for long time.

They can be dangerous. While not a bad as an airbag they still need to be handled with care. every couple of months we have to set off airbags and buckles before we can dispose of them and the buckles make a hell of a noise when they go off.
Are retractable buckles that popular? All Ive ever set off were steering wheel airbags, but this is the first time ever seeing these.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Just an FYI. Not sure you have figured this out yet, but ANYTHING with the
YELLOW tape or YELLOW connector is part of the SRS system.

·
12,178 Posts
:grin: I know exactly which one you are talking about, but it didnt seem that difficult to get to so I figured you could get it. Glad to hear you finally got it up & running, and hope you enjoy it for long time.

Are retractable buckles that popular? All Ive ever set off were steering wheel airbags, but this is the first time ever seeing these.
Yes they are. Honda has been using the for more than ten years.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an FYI. Not sure you have figured this out yet, but ANYTHING with the
YELLOW tape or YELLOW connector is part of the SRS system.
Indeed I am aware, all car manufacturers have done so with SRS wiring.
I was just surprised to see an explosive warning label under my seat for a car without side airbags.

What years did Honda start putting retractable seat belt buckles in?
I guess Ive either been playing with OBD1 cars for way too long or just away from the modding game for longer than I thought. lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was thinking about swapping my seats out.
My only concern is the side air bags in the stock element seats.
Right now am really at a cross roads about what to do with the seats.

Do i just get them reuphostered or swap them out for rsx or civic si seats?

·
EOC Rank: Registered
200 Posts
Indeed I am aware, all car manufacturers have done so with SRS wiring.
I was just surprised to see an explosive warning label under my seat for a car without side airbags.

What years did Honda start putting retractable seat belt buckles in?
I guess Ive either been playing with OBD1 cars for way too long or just away from the modding game for longer than I thought. lol
The 2001 Civic was the first if i recall correctly.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Time for a little update.

The seat rails on the Tiburon & the Element are identical in spacing from side to side, however the mounting positions are farther forward on the E so I would loose rearward sliding travel if I kept the Tiburon seats mounted similarly.

As a result, I need the brackets to extend beyond the rear chassis mounting bolt.
The Tiburon seats are also much lower in profile which is great, because then I can raise the bracket height to get the extra rearward sliding room, it gives me almost another inch of under seat clearance for audio goodies, AND is still right at the same height as the OEMs in their lowest setting.

Ive also pitched the front of the seats up just a hair compared to the OEMs, because I want the new ones to have a nice semi-reclined seat position.

Here are the brackets as they sit now.

Still need to finish drilling the mounting holes, and weld in some bracing to really make these bomb proof. Then modify the Tiburon seat to accept the OEM seatbelt buckle (just needs a small bracket & a hole drilled) and I will finally be ready to install one of the seats.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Too bad this wouldnt work with the 2009-2011 Element. Seatbelts are mounted in the Seats.... you would have to swap everything out of an older Element. Great swap though.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shouldnt be too difficult, I really doubt Honda spent the money to reinvent the rear door framing just to remove the seatbelt, it remained a major structural piece of the E so it still required all of the internal bracing with or without a seatbelt inside. Im willing to bet all of the connection points and openings are still present. All you would need is the upper plastic portion of the rear door where the seatbelt comes out, the seatbelt itself from the door cavity, the little plastic slider piece that rests in the upper door panel, and some little odds & ends.

$16 for door panel
$30 for slider piece
$148 for seat belt
~$12 for all of the support hardware
---------------------
$206 total per door new from Majestic Honda.

Could easily do both sides together for under $100 at a junk yard.

·
12,178 Posts
Shouldnt be too difficult, I really doubt Honda spent the money to reinvent the rear door framing just to remove the seatbelt, it remained a major structural piece of the E so it still required all of the internal bracing with or without a seatbelt inside. Im willing to bet all of the connection points and openings are still present. All you would need is the upper plastic portion of the rear door where the seatbelt comes out, the seatbelt itself from the door cavity, the little plastic slider piece that rests in the upper door panel, and some little odds & ends.

$16 for door panel
$30 for slider piece
$148 for seat belt
~$12 for all of the support hardware
---------------------
$206 total per door new from Majestic Honda.

Could easily do both sides together for under $100 at a junk yard.
Honda changed the part numbers on the rear doors for 2007. With out having the two doors side by side to compare it would be easy to guess that the seatbelt attachment points were left off the 2007+ doors. No addition engineering would be required. No surprise they would do this. I have seen 4-5 different wire harnesses for one vehicle depending on the factory options they came with.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts