Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the rack level?

Nice Rack! It looks like the rack curves with the Element's roofline. Is the front of the rack the same height as the rear of the rack? In other words, if you were to lay a straight 10 foot piece of 2" x 4" lumbar on the rack, would all the cross bars of the rack be touching the lumbar - without the lumbar bending? I'm interested in a rack that I can strap my 10 foot surfboard on which has wider spaced bars than the OEM racks. The OEM racks seem sturdy enough, but I would feel more confident if the crossbars were more widely spaced.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
For the price of those (ouch!), I like Lizard's TPS rack better - as officially the best rack for the E. :D

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
For the price of those (ouch!), I like Lizard's TPS rack better - as officially the best rack for the E. :D
Yup...as much as I like the Gobi...and it does look awesome...Lizzurd's rack seems incredibly functional. Since that was his goal in design (pardon Lizzurd in speaking on your behalf here), form followed function. It has a flat surface with enough strength to take on anything you dare put on top. The Gobi seems like it would haul plenty of general gear better, the Lizzurd more for larger items.

So if I had a few thousand laying around and wanted to bow to my vanity: I'd keep both on hand. (Of course, reality dictates not one sits in my garage yet.)

·
Registered
200 Posts
wants vs needs

You can want a long time, if you need a rack there are ways to make a damm strong one cheap.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
That rack sure does look awesome. Really brings it together with the brush guard and side steps. To complete the look you should get a set of LX steel wheels.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lx wheels

I thought about the black lx wheels, I think I'm going to powder coat my stock rims however. Also will add BFGoodrich A/t 225/70-16. should look good. Then fog lights, and I think my Element Project will be complete...for now. Also, I agree that lizurd's rack is the most functional for ladders, canoes, and other long things. You cant beat the Gobi on looks and cargo capacity though. Glad you guys like it. Hope to see some more E's with the Ranger Rack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gobi Ranger

I also have a Ranger on my '09 E. It's a mpg killer and loud, but very, very strong. I'm 260 lbs and it supports me just fine.
The ladder doesn't fit the contour of the hatch at the mounting points very well, so I didn't install it.
I'll probably fab up a better wind deflector that isn't a barn door. Hopefully that will quiet the noise a bit and improve the milage.
BTW without the rack on, I recently attained 32+ mpg while driving through Idaho, Wyoming and Montana while touring Craters of the Moon, Grand Teton's, Yellowstone, And the Beartooth Highway. This covered 4 tanks of gas while driving at altitude.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It looks real nice----and very expensive. I bet that makes washing the top a real bugger.

Just curious---what is the tiny ladder for?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks really good.

I like the look that the ranger gets, but I went for the stealth. I found that the rack lights cut down on the noise a little also play with the angle of your faring.

I think the ladder hurts the MPG more than the rack, but I found that if I pull the back of the sunroof portion of the rack out when I don't need it that there is a difference.

Also try folding your ski rack back and flat when there are no skis in it. That is why the bars are round you know.

By the way, are the side steps factory? I dig them, what is the make and where did you find them?

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Side Steps

Side steps are factory. They are 2009 black side steps. Honda/OEM Available in any honda parts store. The 2009 Elements have the same bolt on set up as the 2005 and I'm sure many other model years.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Hotrodder, what is a ladder normally used for??? Unless your lebron, then good luck getting on top of an element from the back.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Gobi Stealth Rack

If I got a rack, I think I'd go with the Gobi Stealth rack for looks. They look like they're easy to install. How 'bout some pics of the Stealth rack?

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
Wow, that looks great. Don't trust just the cargo netting though......
Always use straps too.

I have a yak basket, but this is awesome.

jurn

1 - 20 of 25 Posts