Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share the mount I'm using for my iPod (or cell phone when I don't have my iPod with me)

It's a universal mount from Arkon and works great. The top is actually interchangable to hold GPS as well. I thought about making a top that'll hold my netbook. The arm will definitely support the weight of the netbook as it is that sturdy.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Very nice. Is that flexible neck stiff enough to hold a netbook? I know some like the Panavise ones are pretty stiff, but I've also seen some that are fairly soft and loose.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Oh. My. God. You have no idea how badly I've wanted something like this the past few months. My gf bought me a car holder for my Storm, but it doesn't reach very from from the power outlet.

Mind providing a link where you found this arm? How easy was it to install? Are you still able to move the passenger side seat without an issue?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
BRAVO GroundHog...! Good stuff...! Keep up the good work...! Awesome, just awesome...! Thanks for sharing...!!!

LBD

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, all.

I've had this for a couple of years now, but here's a link to where you can buy it directly from the manufacturer. Just select the one that'll best suit your phone/mp3 player.

http://www.arkon.com/Cell_Phone_Floor_Mount.php

Installation was VERY easy. I just loosened the one bolt in the front left of the seat(where you see the mount now)

There is a "leg" that will lift about 1/4" of an inch and I just slid the bracket into that spot. Put the bolt back in for the seat and the the flexible arm just screwed into the bracket. You can see the leg in the last picture I took. I guess, technically, the seat is not level any longer but it's only the thickness of the bracket and not remotely noticeable.

It has absolutely no effect on moving the passenger seat. I guess it could rub a groove into the plastic over an extended period of time, but I haven't seen it even make a mark yet.

Snuffleupagus: I THINK it'll hold the netbook as it's fairly sturdy. If I ever make a mount for it, I'll definitely try it and post it up here. Unfortunately, I have no way to test it without some form of mount. I thought about just balancing it on the mount that's there, but I'd like to find out with some driving/turns/braking/accelerating to get a more accurate answer.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Pretty sweet and thanks for the heads up.

As strange as it sounds, I just wish the neck was longer. I'd love to have it go as far as the shifter, so that it would deter me from looking away from the road for too long.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Very nice. Is that flexible neck stiff enough to hold a netbook? I know some like the Panavise ones are pretty still, but I've also seen some that are fairly soft and loose.

Snuff,

Why didn't I think of this earlier...? :homer: D'OH!!!

Ask Locksmith to show you a pic of his laptop mount... When I was in FL, I paid him a visit and took a look at his "LOCKSMITH"-badged E (AWESOME!) and was VERY impressed with all his "work" applicable mods...!!! He's got a USB web cam attached to his mirror as well as in the back plus a mounted arm that can hold a full-sized laptop on the floor on the passenger-side (on the right of the subwoofer)...

His E is loaded with key-making equipment (blanks, grinder, cabinets, inverters, etc) for his mobile business and on top of that, has a D-I-Y roof rack and remote/anti-theft starting system (so he can run his machines and if someone jumps in and puts in (D)rive ain't going no where) to boot...! Pretty cool stuff...!

LBD

·
Registered
161 Posts
heres what i did...

my moto droid cradle, ran the cable down the left side to an extension, i then drilled a hole on the side of the console to access the 12v socket. this works realllllly great for the navigation...

the itouch dock with remote is temporary until i get my avic, when i get my avic ill run the ipod cable right to the back of the dock eliminating the aux and usb cable running to the center console.

i also installed my new toy! my valentine one... i did the direct wire under the driving column...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not to be a jerk, but the idea of all you people running the roads fiddling with all your gizmos gives me the willies:shock:. I mean, y'all realise it's not safe or sane, right?
Talking on a cellphone is bad enough, but what the hell does anyone need a NETBOOK for while they're driving? To play Mafia Wars? Check your email? Bid on something on eBay? Holy schmoke!!!

I'm not against technology- far from it- but driving should be driving. Not computing or texting or anything that distracts you.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Not to be a jerk, but the idea of all you people running the roads fiddling with all your gizmos gives me the willies:shock:. I mean, y'all realise it's not safe or sane, right?
Talking on a cellphone is bad enough, but what the hell does anyone need a NETBOOK for while they're driving? To play Mafia Wars? Check your email? Bid on something on eBay? Holy schmoke!!!

I'm not against technology- far from it- but driving should be driving. Not computing or texting or anything that distracts you.
Perhaps the person prefers to use a GPS program installed on a computer instead of a device? They can be faster, more accurate and highly customizable compared to many handhelds. It IS entirely possible, you know. :)

Jerk!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ehh, what can I tell ya.....Hey, anyway- what's a GPS? Oh, yeah- one a those talkin' boxes that tells people who can't read maps where to drive to. Oh, fer sure....definitely gotta have THAT.

Myself, I am waiting for the direct neural interface......just plug in, just a little pinprick....becoming one with the vehicle........

·
Registered
161 Posts

thats y we are posting pictures of ours docks or cradles so we wont be fiddling taking them out of our pocket also not posting how we txt and drive...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Akshly if u wrnt fddlng w/them they wdnt nd 2 b in dox or crdls, now wd they?

See, the thing is, when you're using all your little gadgets there's part of your mind which is well, using your little gadgets, hence not concentrating on your driving. This even extends to hands-free devices- please see this NTSB study:http://www.ntsb.gov/Recs/mostwanted/prohibit-cell-phone-motorcoach-drivers.html

Sorry, but I'm not making this stuff up. Unfortunately it's sort of left up to peoples' judgment(if any) as to how to use most of these accessories, although there are laws in place in some locations regulating cell phone use/texting.

Your 2007 2WD AT SC weighs about 3600 lbs, and at any kind of speed there's not much room for distractions before your fine ride becomes a hurtling death missile.

Looking at your profile I'd guess that you're pretty young. You've grown up with all this stuff, and it's probably pretty hard for you to imagine not texting or talking or I-podding or GPS-ing while you're driving. Too bad for the other folks who have to share the road with you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks, all.

I've had this for a couple of years now, but here's a link to where you can buy it directly from the manufacturer. Just select the one that'll best suit your phone/mp3 player.

http://www.arkon.com/Cell_Phone_Floor_Mount.php

Installation was VERY easy. I just loosened the one bolt in the front left of the seat(where you see the mount now)

There is a "leg" that will lift about 1/4" of an inch and I just slid the bracket into that spot. Put the bolt back in for the seat and the the flexible arm just screwed into the bracket. You can see the leg in the last picture I took. I guess, technically, the seat is not level any longer but it's only the thickness of the bracket and not remotely noticeable.

Buy the way....I bought the dvd player mount and with just use the velcro they provide to mount the netbook to that. Will post pics when I get it installed

It has absolutely no effect on moving the passenger seat. I guess it could rub a groove into the plastic over an extended period of time, but I haven't seen it even make a mark yet.

Snuffleupagus: I THINK it'll hold the netbook as it's fairly sturdy. If I ever make a mount for it, I'll definitely try it and post it up here. Unfortunately, I have no way to test it without some form of mount. I thought about just balancing it on the mount that's there, but I'd like to find out with some driving/turns/braking/accelerating to get a more accurate answer.
GRNDHOG....thanks for the link. I have been looking for a mount like this for a while now. Not so that I can use it while I drive but so that my wife can use the netbook while I drive. Just got off the phone with the company and should have it in a couple days......man I love this website...get great info.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While I thought about using it for a GPS in the netbook...I did realize that it'd probably be too much of a distraction. 1) the screen would be bright at night and 2) I'd have to look down too far to use it while driving.

I do a lot of local driving for work, and find myself parked a lot doing computer work/phone calls and would use the mount for that. It does get annoying holding a netbook on your lap in the driver seat for more than 5 minutes.

Otherwise it's great for when I put the ipod on it. But probably 75% of the time my phone is just sitting in it since I'm listening to the satellite radio

·
Registered
116 Posts
soccplyr9, I have that same ipod/phone dock you have in your center console, but mine is stuck down to the dash just to the left of the raised center bit. nice and sturdy.

I don't text while I drive, but I do use it as a GPS, and music source. I use the remote it comes with to control the music, so my hands don't leave the wheel, and program the GPS before I pull out.

daoud, is that okay with you? We actually have a new law in place that bans the use of electronic devices while driving, unless it is a cellphone handsfree that you can operate with one button. (bluetooth visor mount handsfree FTW)

I'll take a picture when I think of it, if anyone is curious..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Very cool. Mr. Safety Jerk gives it a big thumbs-up.

One of the things I really liked about my E was the aux. jack for my MP3 player(Walkman in my case) but soon I realised I don't have the ability to safely operate the vehicle and the MP3 at the same time- so I guess I'll have to figure out how to actually program it......meanwhile the XM radio is fairly safe to operate....

I never used to be such a Nervous Nellie about stuff like this until I got my E- I think it's the fact that my car of the last 10 years was a butt-dragging low-slung convertible- now I sit up WAY higher and I can see everything around me a LOT better and it's kinda nerve-wracking sometimes....hopefully the New vehicle Paranoia will go away eventually.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Arkon mount. It's exactly what I have been looking for to hold my Note 9 that I use for navigation. Appreciate the detailed info and link!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts