Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All testiness aside (pun intended),

As consumers (and as a friendly community), it would be best for us to take a step back from debating whether or not a crash test, favorable or not, should sway us towards or from buying a particular model of car.

I'll tell you what I personally think about crash test ratings. I think that they should be a factor in buying a car. Certainly not the main factor, however. No car out there will pass a modern-standard crash test with flying colors, so holding unrealistic expectations is foolish.

Crash tests are almost more useful for manufacturers themselves. I think the IHSA (or whatever organization it was that ran this most recent side-impact test) is doing the industry in general a service by running tests that either reflect current conditions or near-future conditions. By paying attention to these tests, car manufacturers are obtaining a very valuable piece of information that will help them build better and safer cars in the future.

Forgive me if this post is hard to follow- I just wanted to get my "final" thoughts out there regarding the recent hubbub about crash tests out there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think you are correct. The tests should definitely be a consideration but look at all the tests, not just one. The E has done very good in all other tests and overall is probably pretty safe for a vehicle its size. I hope these tests will help Honda make it even safer in the future.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Our discussion of this very topic more or less paralleled the discussion at Brand X forum, with similar snarks from a couple of rather cranky people.

Interesting: A few people brought up what they saw as not the problem with the tests per se but the agenda of the IIHS.

That's kind of interesting to think about but I'm not going to go further with it. If I want analysis, I'll call my priest or a therapist.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
meanelvis you were not harsh in the least, very well said... and yes there is more then one component to look at when car shopping... more then one test to be given.. and there are plenty of things to factor in, like does the vehicle work with your lifestyle, does it have what you are looking for in price, mpg, comfort, looks, etc.. No vehicle is infallible. Every person must look at all the facts and make a decision based on those facts as to what works best for them.

When it comes to such tests, you know how you drive and how others around you in your area drive, you know what concerns you have, and you know what needs to be done to make sure you and those who ride with you are safe.

Don’t just focus on one piece of information unless that one piece of information is the most crucial item that would sway you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
[quote:04ed31bd94="TheLusciousHellcat"]Our discussion of this very topic more or less paralleled the discussion at Brand X forum, with similar snarks from a couple of rather cranky people.

[/quote:04ed31bd94]

:lol: :lol: :lol: will you EVER get over with it? I thought you were "the" rational one!? It all depends on how you take others' opinion. I think a priest will definitely help you out quite a bit. Sorry guys, but i can not helped.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm just going to come right out and request that you, Whyask, discontinue any response to me, or reference to me, on this forum. Please discuss the Honda Element to your heart's content, but please stop responding to my posts and all personal reference to me.

I'm asking for your voluntary cooperation in this. Thank you in advance for your compliance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
GYPSYTDA said:
meanelvis you were not harsh in the least, very well said... and yes there is more then one component to look at

Actually, you WERE A BIT HARSH!! I have been in the fetal position blowing spit bubbles for some time now.

I did fully recover...

Just some feedback

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL! Sorry! I'll try to word it a bit differently next time.

that being said, isnt the fetal position great?? i assume that position at work daily (as an added joy i start sucking my thumb and cooing like a baby), and it gets me through the 8-5 just fine. :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
BOTTOM LINE:
The Element Tanked in the side crash test....other similar sized "SUV"s passed with "flying colors"...UNLIKE THE ELEMENT. We certainly dont need to "step back" and try to rationalise the choosing of an unsafe vehicle since we didnt buy one yet!

Honda stupidly declined to provide an E with side air bags like Ford did with Escape.....What did they have to fear?......perfrormance just as bad?...did they know it would perform poorly all along and not care since "loyal" Honda buyers are "blind"? Honda will assuredly lose customers...most likely US unless we see it retested and passing!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Wow, Corvette Archives.

Here's my reaction. You ready? Here it comes.

:::shrug:::

Yours is one view. If this is how you want to address this issue, fine. I don't see your view and your reaction as being The Gospel for everyone. We all make our choices. Oh wait, Honda owners are 'blind.' I guess we need someone to tell us things. Good thing you're here to do that.

Or not.

BTW, CA, I have side airbags. I'm just that cool. 8)

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:46ab2970a3="CorvetteArchives.com"]BOTTOM LINE:
The Element Tanked in the side crash test....other similar sized "SUV"s passed with "flying colors"...UNLIKE THE ELEMENT. We certainly dont need to "step back" and try to rationalise the choosing of an unsafe vehicle since we didnt buy one yet!

Honda stupidly declined to provide an E with side air bags like Ford did with Escape.....What did they have to fear?......perfrormance just as bad?...did they know it would perform poorly all along and not care since "loyal" Honda buyers are "blind"? Honda will assuredly lose customers...most likely US unless we see it retested and passing![/quote:46ab2970a3]

Thought I might as well answer you here as well as on the "other" thread. Why are you hopping around like another Ralph Nader? Interpret the information and use it when choosing your next car. Most people on this site don't care if you buy a Subaru or not. Overall, Honda did above average. That is fine with me. I would like it to be better, but for now I weighed everything and am very pleased with the E and pleased that I bought it. I certainly don't consider the E unsafe. If you do, so be it. Good. Buy another vehicle. But this blah blah blah about Honda buyers being "blind" etc is really childish. Hell, I am not a Honda fan. This is my first Honda I have ever owned. And I am very very happy with it. And you know what? That is all I care about.

Interpret the info of these test for your own use. That what they are for. Don't start insulting people who like the E simply because you don't want one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Every web forum has its share of rock throwers who just need attention. I was once a member of a list for Questar telescope owners that had one member who couldn't let a day pass without telling everyone that Questars were terrible! One wonders why he felt the need. Some people just love the sound of their own voice.

I suspect "Corvette Archive" is like that. Ignore him, and he'll go away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts