Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theories on bad gas mileages

This is my opinion on bad gas mileages:

1) If you use a/c all of the time < i use it about 5% of my daily trips >

2) windows are down, gas mileage will be less because of the wind "drag"

3) a drivers weight < i'm about 185 but if you are heavier, their you go

4) If you have 2 or more passengers you drag around

5) If you have a lot of accessories < i have about 87 pounds on my E >

6) Have something heavy in the back trunk area all of the time.

Bottom line:

I drive 95% alone all of the time, I very rarely use a/c, my windows are slighty down when hot, my trunk area is empty..... i get about 25 to 26

or

If i drive 2 or more people, i use the a/c, i have tons of stuff in the trunk, then i get about 22 to 23

I am not a Rocket Scientist, but this is what I GET!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I also get pretty decent gas mileage - 21+ around town and 26+ on a run. I've found a noticable hit when running the a/c that causes something like 8% reducation in this around town and less (maybe 5%) on the highway. I don't have any approcaible degredation in mileage from having the windows down, nor from carrying loads or people. Worst degredation in fuel efficiency has been when running at 90mph or more, and that dropped the highway mileage from 26 to 21 or less.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Guess I'm going to have to live with bad mileage for awhile longer then -- an extra 3-4 MPG isn't worth turning off the A/C when it's in the 90's with high humidity. :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Guess I'm going to have to live with bad mileage for awhile longer then -- an extra 3-4 MPG isn't worth turning off the A/C when it's in the 90's with high humidity. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
My passengers sometimes say I'm crazy ( :roll: ), but I try to run the AC at full blast when I am going down a decent hill and then use recirc air for the uphill parts and coasting. If you have a helpful passenger, they'll punch the AC on button when you go downhill and you don't even have to work it at all!

I have a manual transmission, so I can select the amount of engine braking I want to do. I don't know if this would really work in automatic...

It's like a hybrid car. If only they would put in a gizmo to track deceleration and then stick on the AC. Of course, you might get pretty cold going down a long hill. Hmm.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would be happy if I could get 23-26 MPG. Best I can manage on the Hwy is about 23. Of course the AC is on 100% of the time and I drive the auto EX. I don't drive slow either. I guess you can't really expect much considering we're pushing a big square box through the air! I wonder if the V6 from the Accord in the E would get better mileage since it may work less than the 4?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I drive by myself most of the time, never have anything in the cargo area except my cargo organioinzer, and do have a roof rack and side steps, but A/C is NOT going to be turned off anytime soon, since we are in the middle of a heat wave I will just suck it up and deal with my 20 mpg.....

Hey....I guess this is another reason to count the days until fall!

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I haven't checked in the element, but I noticed that in my old Honda civic, there was a profound difference in the revving of the engine at a dead stop between recirc and exterior options while running the AC. It makes sense that it would take more energy (gas) to continuously cool hot air coming from than the outside rather than keeping what's inside cool.

·
Registered
247 Posts
[quote:795e2489d7="M Ornett"]I haven't checked in the element, but I noticed that in my old Honda civic, there was a profound difference in the revving of the engine at a dead stop between recirc and exterior options while running the AC. It makes sense that it would take more energy (gas) to continuously cool hot air coming from than the outside rather than keeping what's inside cool.[/quote:795e2489d7]
Meaning that it's "how far to the left" that the A/C knob is turned affects the engine, correct? (With recirc running, the A/C shouldn't have to be turned as "cold", right?) The A/C unit itself doesn't actually do anything different when recirc is on, does it?

Just making sure I understand all of this. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
The a/c compressor should cycle on/off depending on the load, which is determined by how much heat it's pulling out of the interior and the outside temperature.

If you're on recirc, you're cooling the same air inside, so once you get the entire car at the same temp, you are just cooling how much heat is being transferred in from the windows/exterior surfaces/etc.

If you're not on recirc, you're having to cool the outside air temp down to what is comfortable to you.

On long trips, I normally end up with the fan set to one of the lowest speeds because everything gets cooled down after 20-30 minutes.

A tip for long trips, and it works great in the E because the bottom of the seats is open to airflow, is set it so the dash vents are the only ones open, on recirc (max a/c), direct the vents upward so the air goes to the top rear of the car, and give it about 10 minutes of high speed cooling to get the ambient temp down. The cool air will go to the rear of the interior, fall, and come back along the floor to the fan suction under the dash, it really recirculates the air well. You'll find that the car feels more like your house, cool, but no air in your face, and you'll end up turning the fan down quite a bit once the car is cooled. It works, and no turning it on/off/having your wife complain that it's too cold or too hot/etc.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Let me clarify:

With temperature set the same, in my civic, when I pushed the interior/exterior buttons (and yes, it's all the way left/right in the element) I could hear a definite difference in the engine running sound like it I had pressed more on the gas even though I was at a complete stop. I would think that this would have an affect on the gas mileage to always have the air set to outside rather than recirc.

And I'm with superJETT, when I get it cooled down, I really do have to turn down the fan speed or I freeze.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My car -- not a Honda Element -- ranges from 21 to 29 mpg depending on the air temperature. Hot summer days produce better mileage, and cold winter days, below zero Fahrenheit, produce worse.

Since the engine runs at a controlled temperature, I suppose the reason has to do with the temperature of lubricants in the wheel bearings and perhaps the transmission.

Perhaps there is an issue with air density.

Tire pressure varies with temperature also.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Let's say you drive 15,000 miles per year. Person A gets 24 MPG. Person B gets 20 MPG. Person C gets 35 MPG. They all pay $1.75/gal. How much does Person A save over Person B? $218.75/year or $4.20/week. Person C saves $561/year over Person B.

I orginally did this math when I was considering a hybrid or Diesel vehicle. Typically, this option cost $2000 - $4000 more than a similarly equipped gasser. The break even point was at least 5 years, which meant I no longer cared about MPG when shopping and instead went with vehicle cost.

So now, you're suggesting that I sweat like a pig and fiddle constantly with the AC to save a buck a week by increasing my avg MPG by 1? I'd far rather spend a buck, keep my hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. Getting into a fender bender because I'm preoccupied with MPG might cost me much more.

·
Registered
447 Posts
* Drive the speed limit, especially in a high-profile SUV.

* If you are on hilly terrain, allow the vehicle go above the speed limit going down hills, and lose some speed going up the hill. This is more energy efficient than trying to keeping a steady speed.

* Hang back from the vehicle in front of you to anticipate traffic slowing or stopping so you can let off the gas earlier and brake less. Everytime you use brakes when you could have avoided it by being less aggressive on the gasoline, you are effectively burning extra gasoline by using the brakes.

* Don't downshift or shift into neutral with this vehicle when slowing to a stop. Your car is programmed to make good use of energy from general decelleration to charge the battery and run accessories. Under most conditions, your vehicle uses more gasoline in neutral to maintain engine idle while slowing down than it would if you left it in gear anyway.

* Maintain the air pressure in the tires, and of course maintenance the vehicle.

* Keep as little unnecessary weight in the car as possible.

These things reduce the fuel consumption without making you feel uncomfortable. Shutting off the A/C helps, but by all means if you need it use it! Also, don't be telling people to get out of your car and walk. A vehicle is made to transport people and their stuff. :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts