Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some photos of my '03 Element I bought 3 years ago (from the original owners) when it had 81k miles; it now has 145k miles. I came close to selling it this summer because of a persistent loud noise that I thought was coming from the windshield area, but it turned out to be that bug guard you might be able to see in the pictures. It's pretty common to get 30-40mph crosswinds here in N. Dakota, and the wind was catching under the bug guard and making it vibrate violently. Unfortunately, you can't see the bug guard from the driver's seat so I didn't realize it was the bug guard until one day I elevated myself out of my seat and saw it vibrating so fast it was practically invisible if you understand what I'm saying. Needless to say I couldn't remove it fast enough when I got home, and miraculously it hadn't left any marks on the paint. These pictures were taken this summer after I had detailed it prior to putting it up for sale. You will also notice the drivers seat doesn't have any tears in it. When I bought the E I didn't know that it was very common for the '03-'06 Elements to have splitting seats. I have since put an OEM cover on the driver's seat to preserve it.
Anyways, long story short, I have maintained the E very well, changing all fluids twice in the 65k miles I've owned it, new spark plugs and a valve adjust at 100k miles. I was unlucky in that this was one of the '03s that had the 'soft' exhaust cams, so I had to have that replaced before they could adjust the valves. I've also replaced the struts/shocks front and rear and that has really transformed how this car rides and handles. It's actually pretty fun to drive now! I'm a self-employed consultant so I use it for my work and play car. I also have a 2018 VW Golf Alltrack I use for holidays and long road trips, and while it is quieter and faster than the E, overall I enjoy driving the E just as much. I'm so glad I didn't end up selling my Element! OK, on to the pictures. Ignore the black dot you see in some of the pictures, it was on my camera:

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
981 Posts
Very nice Maxey! Love that Eternal Blue Pearl color! It looks classy!

You certainly have cared for it nicely too. For 17 years old and 145K miles, it looks outstanding on the photos!

Thanks for posting! : - )

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, te1966! It's every bit as nice as the photos show. I also love that it never uses any oil. Hard to get rid of a car like that. (y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here are some photos of my '03 Element I bought 3 years ago (from the original owners) when it had 81k miles; it now has 145k miles. I came close to selling it this summer because of a persistent loud noise that I thought was coming from the windshield area, but it turned out to be that bug guard you might be able to see in the pictures. It's pretty common to get 30-40mph crosswinds here in N. Dakota, and the wind was catching under the bug guard and making it vibrate violently. Unfortunately, you can't see the bug guard from the driver's seat so I didn't realize it was the bug guard until one day I elevated myself out of my seat and saw it vibrating so fast it was practically invisible if you understand what I'm saying. Needless to say I couldn't remove it fast enough when I got home, and miraculously it hadn't left any marks on the paint. These pictures were taken this summer after I had detailed it prior to putting it up for sale. You will also notice the drivers seat doesn't have any tears in it. When I bought the E I didn't know that it was very common for the '03-'06 Elements to have splitting seats. I have since put an OEM cover on the driver's seat to preserve it.
Anyways, long story short, I have maintained the E very well, changing all fluids twice in the 65k miles I've owned it, new spark plugs and a valve adjust at 100k miles. I was unlucky in that this was one of the '03s that had the 'soft' exhaust cams, so I had to have that replaced before they could adjust the valves. I've also replaced the struts/shocks front and rear and that has really transformed how this car rides and handles. It's actually pretty fun to drive now! I'm a self-employed consultant so I use it for my work and play car. I also have a 2018 VW Golf Alltrack I use for holidays and long road trips, and while it is quieter and faster than the E, overall I enjoy driving the E just as much. I'm so glad I didn't end up selling my Element! OK, on to the pictures. Ignore the black dot you see in some of the pictures, it was on my camera:

Yes, great color and very cool. I love my Orange 03 EX with 283,000+. I put work into it, fortunate to have a good mechanic, and having been driving 120 mile trips a few days each week for years. Recently replaced the ball joints (2nd time) and solenoid for oil pressure guage. I would love to do the struts/shocks for a smoother ride but I'm told I'm crazy. I'm looking for an '11 but those I've seen not as nice as mine. I just love this car and she loves to go! It may be time to retire her to a farm in FL this winter. Going to drive down in January and see what I can find. Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, great color and very cool. I love my Orange 03 EX with 283,000+. I put work into it, fortunate to have a good mechanic, and having been driving 120 mile trips a few days each week for years. Recently replaced the ball joints (2nd time) and solenoid for oil pressure guage. I would love to do the struts/shocks for a smoother ride but I'm told I'm crazy. I'm looking for an '11 but those I've seen not as nice as mine. I just love this car and she loves to go! It may be time to retire her to a farm in FL this winter. Going to drive down in January and see what I can find. Enjoy your ride!
You are not crazy to replace the struts/shocks. The people telling you that are the crazy ones. I would replace them and then decide whether or not yours is ready for retirement. I think you will be surprised by how much they transform your '03. Believe it or not I get a lot less rattles in the interior because the suspension doesn't 'crash' over bumps and expansion joints now. I think you probably don't realize how shot your shocks/struts are -- especially if they are original. Replacing mine made me fall in love with my E all over again, seriously. And from everything I've read here, 283,000 miles is only about the half-life of an Element if it's been cared for. If you do decide to replace it with another one, maintenance and condition is more important than the year or miles with these Elements I believe, all else being equal. Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, Maxey, that is really clean!! Seeing it so pristine makes me appreciate the color, with the black cladding.(y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts