Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the last two weeks I purchased a Yakima, flipside bike rack (orsdirect.com) and a drawtite class 3 receiver hitch (etrailers.com).

This morning Mr. Gisele installed the hitch and bike rack :D
I am glad to have the ability to carry two bikes outside the E instead of in the cargo area. This is better for vacations and long road trips especially since I have a dog now. The set-up looks pretty good. I am disappointed that the tailgate cannot be lowered with the bike rack installed because I love to lay out on the tailgate and sun after a long hike or bike. But I do like having access to the rear door versus a bike rack that prevents rear door access.

Well, I'm off to go test the hitch and rack installation. We unloaded my bike (the blue bike in the photo) and loaded my husband's bike for the maiden voyage just in case he forgot a screw and the whole assembly falls off it will be his bike that's damaged and not mine. :lol::lol:

-g

P.S. box-E Mr. Gisele wants to know if these installs redeem him in your eyes as a person of value

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
DOg, DOg ???

What Dog ??

Tell Mark He did a good job. It looks good!

Dom

·
Registered
295 Posts
The install looks good. Don't be surprised to see you mpg go down 1-2 with bikes on the rack.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yakima Flipside Bike Rack

Don't be surprised to see you mpg go down 1-2 with bikes on the rack.
Hanging hitch racks work best with bikes with top tubes parallel to the ground, but since the popularity of mountain bikes and hybrids, and now even relaxed road bikes most top tubes now decline from the head tube to the seat tube. This created a market for the bike frame adapter which allows these bikes to hang level from the bike rack. The XPORT frame adapter ($15 from Performance Bicycle => http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1031464_-1_400019_400007_400173 is an example). They make the bike easier to load / unload and also reduce the MPG hit.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts