Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I JUST got my BRAND NEW 2010 Element SC on Tuesday evening...so, walking up to the vehicle from the back yesterday, I noticed the bumper seemed a little warped. Looking closer, I could see that between the bottom of the clam-shell door and the bumper (where it hinges down) there was a raised portion of the bumper that rubbed against the bottom of the tailgate when it opened and closed...it was scraping the paint off the bumper and the bottom of the tailgate's edge. :x :x :x Now it's in the shop and I'm carless this morning only 3 days after getting my element...at least it's not an engine problem! I'm sure they'll fix it, but it's just disappointing I had to tap into my warranty so soon :|

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm in agreement with ramblerdan. I wouldn't be carless. I would demand that the dealer put me in a loaner on their dime.
Absolutely!

3 Days old is all?? Yeah... The dealer needs to throw in some free accessories too...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it back...

I'm in agreement with ramblerdan. I wouldn't be carless. I would demand that the dealer put me in a loaner on their dime.
Ok, here's the scoop. They did offer to shuttle me to and from work, so that made everything a lot better. I took them up on it and had no issues with transportation, THANK GOD! You all were right, it wasn't a warranty issue...they just fixed it without question.

So, I JUST got it back. They removed the bumper and apparently when it was installed, there was a tab that was not clipped in causing it to raise up about 3/4 of an inch on one side. They reseated it and bingo. Once I got a call back, I asked about the paint that was scraped off the bumper and they said "well we are not a paint shop and don't do any paint work"...that ticked me off and I pressed a bit...he then said he'd ask his tech if he could retouch it (duh!). The paint that was scraped off was in-between the groove of the tailgate and bumper...otherwise I most certainly would have demanded a NEW bumper if it was in a more highly visible area. Once I got there, all was well exactly as said. Not a perfect day, but I have to give them kudos...it was done in less than 2 hours.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would have still demanded a new bumper. You're purchasing a new car. Well... That includes a bumper too. You shouldn't have to settle for anything less as this wasn't due to neglect on your part to begin with. Like someone said earlier, this should have been caught before the vehicle was handed over to you. If the dealership had a problem with it... It's a problem they would need to take up with Honda. Not you.

Anyway, nice car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Original paint

Well, in my opinion, you did good. I've been a car painter for 43 years, and for most of those years working for the body shop of a large dealer that has sold Honda automobiles since 1972. So, I've painted a lot of Honda's. I may not be the best.....but I have a lot of experience......and, if you can preserve the original paint, do it. Especially if the slight scratch is hardly seen.

The '10 SC is sweet.....if I had to replace my '07 SC, the PPM is the one I'd buy!

Something to make you feel good about your Element - my SC has been the most enjoyable car I've ever had.....there's nothing about it I don't like. Hope you enjoy yours for many, many years!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Love your SC, I just got one too and your color was my first choice but i couldn't find one and my dealer offered me invoice on the omni pearl blue and i took it. I like it but that color of yours is nice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
looks nice, I just test drive a SC Thursday for a few miles. I told them I want the Costco price, he replied $300 over dealers invoice.
OK whats dealer invoice?
are you ready to buy today? No.
What is the price? no reply
I walked to my s2000 and drove off

The best deal I've heard about was 24400 plus T.L.
so far I like the two shades of silver

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looks nice, I just test drive a SC Thursday for a few miles.
Not anymore...I picked mine up for just shy of 23K (like 22,9XX or 22,8XX + tax, etc. and my added accessories of fogs and security). I got lucky at an out of state dealer offering employee pricing!

Anyways, thanks for the good comments!

·
Registered
52 Posts
looks nice, I just test drive a SC Thursday for a few miles. I told them I want the Costco price, he replied $300 over dealers invoice.
OK whats dealer invoice?

Mine was invoice plus delivery and it was $23,565. - That was supposed to be a hundred over invoice but they didn't charge me it in the end. I think delivery was in the $700s.

It was from a far away dealer though so i did pay them $100. to drive it out to me and bring all the paperwork. Last time i drove to them but it was worth a hundred not to go all the way out there in traffic. T & L I don't even want to talk about....California-totally insane!

·
Registered
68 Posts
A problem like this is either A: Warranty due to incorrect assembly, B: Transportation damage, C: Lot damage that occured before you took delivery, or D: Happened after you took possession. Assuming it did not happen after you took delivery the dealer would most likely process it as a warranty claim and that would cover repositioning the bumper and retouching the paint. Only if the bumper was sufficiently damaged would it warrant replacement. The suggestion to demand said replacement is out of line in this instance and would be a worse solution than the repair. That the dealership does not have a body shop is irrelevant, they sublet body repairs regularly and AHM will pay for it on a warranty claim. For something this minor the dealership may not have even made a claim and just handled it in house. For you to have taken delivery of the Element in this condition means it was missed at final inspection before leaving the factory, upon arrival at the dealership, during the PDI, when detailed for delivery, and when you inspected it at time of delivery. It is something that could easily have been overlooked at all of these points as people are not infallable and a minor panel gap variance may not register. It could also occur if the vehicle was lightly bumped and the cover flexed enough to slip out of place at that spot and that can happen anywhere. During transport to the dealer there are protective pads on the bumpers and they could push against another vehicles bumper and not leave a mark while still dislocating the part.

The important thing is that it has been dealt with and you can move on and enjoy your new ride.

Ok, here's the scoop. They did offer to shuttle me to and from work, so that made everything a lot better. I took them up on it and had no issues with transportation, THANK GOD! You all were right, it wasn't a warranty issue...they just fixed it without question.

So, I JUST got it back. They removed the bumper and apparently when it was installed, there was a tab that was not clipped in causing it to raise up about 3/4 of an inch on one side. They reseated it and bingo. Once I got a call back, I asked about the paint that was scraped off the bumper and they said "well we are not a paint shop and don't do any paint work"...that ticked me off and I pressed a bit...he then said he'd ask his tech if he could retouch it (duh!). The paint that was scraped off was in-between the groove of the tailgate and bumper...otherwise I most certainly would have demanded a NEW bumper if it was in a more highly visible area. Once I got there, all was well exactly as said. Not a perfect day, but I have to give them kudos...it was done in less than 2 hours.

·
Registered
149 Posts
OK whats dealer invoice?

I bought a 2007 EX 4WD for $11,995. May have to shop around or travel to get a great deal. Mine is also a MT which I love and are somewhat hard to find.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts