Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently started a long commute to and from school (an hour each way) and have been using my blackberry's Pandora application hooked up to the AUX port for great music. This was great but had two problems. 1. Nowhere to keep the phone. 2. Pandora kills the battery and I would barely get a full day if I used it for the drive to and from school. Add in some texting and phone calls and the battery would be dead. So I ended up with the ProClip mount system...

853227 - ProClip Center mount
960746 - Padded Holder with Tilt Swivel and Cigarette Lighter Charger

I was debating on the mount for the left or right side of the radio but ultimately ended up with the one that goes to the left for a couple of reasons. It is easier to reach and see. Also the cables on the blackberry come out of the left side. If I put it on the right side of the radio the cables would run right across the stereo.

So I placed the order and it finally arrived.

Pros:
1. ProClip was easy to deal with. Their site is very user friendly
2. Fast shipping. Shipped it out the next day and only took 2 days to get here FedEx Ground.
3. Great packaging to get here.
4. Product is nicely packaged with instructions.
5. Instructions are super clear, and easy to understand. Each direction is car specific. They are not general vague directions. Actually had pictures of someone putting it in an element.
6. Install is super easy, non permanent, non damaging.
7. Mount is VERY high quality. It is worth the money!

Cons:
1. A little expensive. This set up ran me right over $100 shipped. I do not mind because it is not permanent and can be easily removed with no damage. This was also more expensive because I got the charger, and swivel mount. Probably the most expensive version they make.
2. Can't use phone with a case. I don't use a case, but some do, so it is a concern.
3. It is dangerous to be playing with your phone while driving.
4. The setup of the element means there have to be wires going across the stereo somewhere. My plan was to have them go across under the stereo and over the shift knob (like the AUX cable shown). It looks pretty decent in person. The thing is the charger comes with the stupid coiled up wire. I wish it was a 3 foot straight cord that could go next to the aux line. Any way to straighten this out? Either way it functions perfect. Does exactly what I want and looks great (besides the wire which isnt that big of a deal. I am going to find a way to stretch it out somehow).

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Thanks for this. I own a Proclip setup for my Garmin Nuvi GPS, Love it! I agree about being a little on the expensive side, but it does work quite well. I don't have the wires running across... my GPS's wire runs along the side with the driver, down near the left side of the console and gets poer from the 12v in the arm rest.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I agree with the commentary provided.

Additional...

Pros
- Great location next to steering wheel, line of sight angle
- Good fit for phone (G1)

Cons
- I have had to tighten it a couple of times on the swivel mount attachment. Mine is used a great deal and I do flip the mount to the side often. Easily remedied and would not be needed if not needing to rotate phone so often.
- Wires run across dash to the E's AUX ports. I will be cleaning this up with a 2ndary audio and power source soon.

Worth the money? Yes
Do it again? Yes

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I prefer the right hand mount. I've had mine in this position for almost 5 years.

I find the line of sight is better (I'm a bit farsighted now anyway :rolleyes:) as well as dealing with the loose wire issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cons
- I have had to tighten it a couple of times on the swivel mount attachment. Mine is used a great deal and I do flip the mount to the side often. Easily remedied and would not be needed if not needing to rotate phone so often.
- Wires run across dash to the E's AUX ports. I will be cleaning this up with a 2ndary audio and power source soon.
Actually I have noticed that too. The swivel loosens up a little bit when used a lot. I tightened it a little tighter and it seems good now.

Also I did not like how the wire was going across the dash with the charger. I bought another mount (just the regular mount with swivel and no charger) and also picked up a retractable cigarrette lighter charger. It is much nicer with the cables. I will post new pictures later today.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are the pics of the new set up.

Dash

Close ups

Driver view

Passenger view

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just wanted to throw in another endorsement of the ProClip. I've had one in my MINI for years and as soon as I got the Element I went straight to ProClip. Very solid material, very well fitted to each individual car. The universal device holder attachment is very versatile.
Spend the money, everything else seems like a toy whereas the ProClip seems like a factory part! :D

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Update on my ProClip performance:

I have the model fitted for my G1 phone where there is an end terminal off the unit that allows for plug in of mini-USB, a 3.5mm power source receiver, and a general audio 3.5mm output. Normally, I run the audio out with a male to male 3.5mm cord to the E's AUX input with great performance.

A couple of weeks ago, the terminal end off the proclip developed a short where the left side for audio cuts out. Requires highly technical manual manipulation (aka I have to fiddle with the audio cord plugging in there) to remedy.

The malfunction seems to be in the 3.5mm female receiver of the audio output from the proclip. So far, I can make it work. But it was a disapointing development. Am waiting to see if the problem persists before pursuing warranty support...hate to ship it off as I use it daily.

I don't think this to be typical of the unit as it's the only failure or complaint I've seen regarding these. But, just an FYI on its status in case some trend develops...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts