Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Screens

Thanks Rambler Dan. Clearly, I finally figured out how to get the pics from the album into the email. Haven't considered doing the back side window because I rarely open those.........although I guess it would be easy enough.

·
Registered
510 Posts
HOLY VELCRO! nice mod!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Is that some sort of shelving unit in the cargo area? That certainly makes a lot of sense, wish I would have thought of that...

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I like the one on the driver's door but don't think I'd be driving around with the back end open like that. If you're opening the back end at stoplights, you need to pick a different route!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Screens

It is a raised dog bed. I posted pics on the Dog thread. Read all the posts about sleeping platforms and picked out what would work best for me. Headed to Ursa Minor for an Ecamper installation and needed extra storage space. I travel with Aladdin, my Rhodesian Ridgeback, so I had a raised bed made for him. 3/4" plywood, covered with 2" thick foam and Sunbrella fabric. Black to match the E and to disguise the storage underneath. Sturdy enough to stand on to access the Ecamper.

Is that some sort of shelving unit in the cargo area? That certainly makes a lot of sense, wish I would have thought of that...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Screens

If it's a fresh air day - not an air conditioning day, sometimes I drive with the topp half of the tailgate open to catch the breeze - just around my local area. When both halves are open, Aladdin's crate is anchored so nothing can slide out (or past the crate).

If the weather is right, both halves are open when I'm sleeping in the E on the field of a Lure Coursing Trial. Gotta have that fresh air.

I like the one on the driver's door but don't think I'd be driving around with the back end open like that. If you're opening the back end at stoplights, you need to pick a different route!

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Outstanding! I've had Skreenz for camping for years and will always now have to have them.

Never would have occurred to me to drive with them on, but I haven't had wasps flying in the windows. (I'm allergic to bees so that would give me a heart attack)

Really nicely done and thanks for the great pics.

:)

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
If it's a fresh air day - not an air conditioning day, sometimes I drive with the topp half of the tailgate open to catch the breeze - just around my local area. When both halves are open, Aladdin's crate is anchored so nothing can slide out (or past the crate).

If the weather is right, both halves are open when I'm sleeping in the E on the field of a Lure Coursing Trial. Gotta have that fresh air.
Ooch! I was making funny about the back doors but seriously, those gas struts aren't built to hold up to hitting a simple bounce in the road. If you can't find aftermarket replacements, I bet Honda's usual price for them would involve first born children.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Screens

Ooch! I was making funny about the back doors but seriously, those gas struts aren't built to hold up to hitting a simple bounce in the road. If you can't find aftermarket replacements, I bet Honda's usual price for them would involve first born children.
Sorry, but I don't know what a "gas strut" is. After 110K, nothing is broken yet. Love my E!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Great job Ridgeback nice clean look. I also have the Skreenz & love them but with the window open they scream while driving. I also made a screen for the rear & sunroof but with magnets.

Gaily

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Sorry, but I don't know what a "gas strut" is. After 110K, nothing is broken yet. Love my E!!
The gas struts are the long "spring in a tube" things that hold your hatch up when it's open. The damage happens when you hit a bump, the door drops down a little and then bounces back up again. It's that slam against the top that breaks it, and you don't need much of a jolt to cause problems. Just driving over a speed bump at the supermarket can do it since the hatch acts as a lever and magnifies the up/down motion of the car.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The gas struts are the long "spring in a tube" things that hold your hatch up when it's open. The damage happens when you hit a bump, the door drops down a little and then bounces back up again. It's that slam against the top that breaks it, and you don't need much of a jolt to cause problems. Just driving over a speed bump at the supermarket can do it since the hatch acts as a lever and magnifies the up/down motion of the car.
Thanks Desinia. I'll be more aware in the future. Sure don't want to spend $$$ if I can help it!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ridgeback, are you driving from Morehead to Ursa Minor? I am sure you will like the top.
Nice screens>
U

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ridgeback, are you driving from Morehead to Ursa Minor? I am sure you will like the top.
Nice screens>
U
Morehead City via Fort Collins, CO for a dog show in Loveland, then down to Chula Vista. Do you already have the top? I asked John if there was an East Coast ECamper owner near me - he said there was one in MD/DC/VA area - don't remember exactly where. Where is RMT?

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Driving with the tailgate open

Aside from bouncing the upper and lower around, driving with the hatches open presents a risk of carbon monoxide in the passenger compartment.

2006 owner's manual, page 47:

With the tailgate or hatch open, air flow can pull exhaust gas into your vehicle’s interior and create a hazardous condition. If you must drive with the tailgate or hatch open, open all the windows and set the heating and cooling system as shown below.

If you must sit in your parked vehicle with the engine running, even in an unconfined area, adjust the heating and cooling system as follows:

Select the fresh air mode.
Select the [feet-and-face icon] mode.
Turn the fan on high speed.
Set the temperature control to a comfortable setting.

·
Registered
510 Posts
yea +1 on the dont drive with the back hatch open. Its really not worth it, youre better off cranking the AC, considering the damage to the car and the possible damage to yourself/furry friends via exhaust fumes.

CAROLINIANS!!!!!! didnt even notice last time i posted:twisted: Speaking of morehead city... theres a rather funny sign in goldsboro.

Morehead City ^
Seymour Johnson AFB >

Anyhow, if youre around this coming up weekend... I'll be at Carolina beach and youre most welcome to come show off those screens! I lurve to show off my mods as well =) Theres more in the Mid South section on that.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Morehead City via Fort Collins, CO for a dog show in Loveland, then down to Chula Vista. Do you already have the top? I asked John if there was an East Coast ECamper owner near me - he said there was one in MD/DC/VA area - don't remember exactly where. Where is RMT?

RMT is the postal short for Rocky Mount. 2 hrs west of you.
No I don't have the top and from what I see on their web page, they only do 09-10 2 wheel drive ones when they have to cut access hole in the top.. One would be nice. Have a good trip and drive safe.
u

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

RMT is the postal short for Rocky Mount. 2 hrs west of you.
No I don't have the top and from what I see on their web page, they only do 09-10 2 wheel drive ones when they have to cut access hole in the top.. One would be nice. Have a good trip and drive safe.
u
Family from RMT and been many time for Lure Coursing at Wishing Well Farms out on Leggett Rd.

Don't understand the "09-10" reference either.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts