Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I told my dealer I would not take delivery if some small scuffs on the left and right of the front bumper from the factory/shipping were not removed. I came back and they were gone! Their trick was to use a mild solvent to melt them away. Very clever. I am trying to find out from the detailing department what the solvent is and get a bottle.

My dealer was great about it. He was more concerned that I was concerned. The dealer tried to find out from Honda tech services what is the ideal stuff but no word yet.

I'm calling them scuffs and not scratches. Its that top grain that scuffs and looks worse than it really is.

I'm a happy camper :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
i don't know :? are you saying that it looks as good as new! you say melt and i say ouch that hurts. but hey if it is as good as you say it is i'd like to know too!

·
Registered
333 Posts
The word 'solvent' immediately implies some kind of melting or dissolving which doesn't sound too inviting to me. But, I do know that heat can often remove small surface irregularities in plastic - we use a heat gun at work to 'repair' the finish on plastic parts that are marred by techs. The only problem is controlling the amount of heat. Too much heat and you end up with a shiny spot, way too much and it deforms the shape. But that being said, it doesn't look to me that the EX panels would be repairable using this method. The DX could be a candidate though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To take the scuffs out the detailer first used acrysol to level it out. It is a general purpose, color safe cleaner. Then he used Dukasol to fill it back in. It is an industrial version of Armourall, a kind of coating. But don't use Armourall. It is a water based silicone and rinses off in the first rain. He will give me some Dukasol if I want. I am going to try Black Magic Total Shine which is petroleum based and I think is the same stuff. It lasts longer and does not dry out the plastic like Armourall would. Now you know why the Armourall competitors point out theirs is not water based.

No word from Honda tech services yet on best products and procedure. So the above is an unendorsed suggestion you follow at your own risk. The detailer said he used the materials sparingly. I am would move slowly at this.

He said Nufinish may turn white over time in the grain of the cladding. He did not recommend it for cladding.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:idea: Finally made it back to the dealer for my free solvent and get the names right.

The detailer is using a colour safe solvent called R-1 All Purpose Solvent from a company called Granitize in California. It smells a lot like mineral spirits. Another alternative is Acrysol from Kent Automotive in Illinois. Both are not available to the public because they are so strong they require MSDS sheets (safety information). I guess mineral spirits from Home Depot would do about the same thing. Detailer advised against laquer thinner because it may take colour out of the panel.

To finish off the work he used a non-silicone product called Super Dressing S.T. solvent dressing from Ducan Industries in BC, Canada. It starts out shiney but the more you rub it the duller it gets. Also not available for the general public.

All this stuff you put on a rag and buff them in sparingly.

This detailer is concerned about the long term looks of silicone based sprays. Over time they may turn white he suspects. He has been detailing for 15 years. So I haven't decided what over the counter stuff to use. Perhaps Mothers Back to Black which I think has no silicone. My garage is looking and smelling like a chem lab.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:oops: Whoops! Mothers says that Back to Black and Preserves has silicone in it. They say there is nothing wrong with it except cheap formulations may have problems. I guess just about everything has silicone and it is a matter of who has the best. The detailer may have been burned by ArmourAll.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Say what you will about armorall but my dealer's detailer used it AFTER using lacquer thinner on a scratch on my plastic panel and it is gone! It's been a month and it hasn't re-appeared yet. I realize that lacquer thinner sounds scarey (it did to me) but it removed a mild surface scratch and NOW I have nothing against armoall. (But I was always told it was a lousy product). I posted another thread about the composite panels (just like ours) on the new Chevy pickup. I am looking into what the Chevy dealers recommend on their panels. It looks like the identical material. Will let you know! :D Smiles for miles!

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
This scratching thing has turned out to be a non-issue for me. I walked into my dealership recently and the service manager immediately said he has spray for me. I said I don't need it. I have been using Mothers Back to Black off and on. I suspect there is some fine plastic hair that gets worn off over time by washing and rubbing. The spray seems to be like another silicone formulation. I heard, like most silicones, it wets out the panel a little darker shade so you should do the whole panel. Your sales or service guy should be on top of this request Mine was.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts