Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first 2003 E had the accessory exhaust tip. I know it's trivial, but there isn't much bling one can add to an Element.
My current 2011 E did not have the tip. I have searched many times trying to find anyone who might still have one in stock, to no avail.
Then, I heard about Pick'n'Pull. I found a junk yard with 3 very old Elements, but I was pretty sure the Exhaust Finisher fit all years.
Two of the three Elements had no exhaust pipe remaining.
The third had only the rear 2 foot section of exhaust dangling by a rubber hanger AND it had a shiny tip!!!
Vice Grips were needed getting the rusty/rounded bolt out, but this became a restoration project.
So, I'm happy with it. It took some work with 0000 steel wool and polish, and a new bolt, but it works.

If anyone see a tip in a junk yard, or if you are parting out a tired old Element, please put the tip here or eBay. Someone may love to have it.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle
Tartan Musical instrument Plaid Wood Flooring
Tartan Tableware Musical instrument Wood Plaid
Automotive lighting Wood Gas Fashion accessory Hardwood
Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Wood Tin Material property
Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I got one from a parts car as well and also polished up, definitely worth the effort, mine may become available in the future as I am considering going to an aftermarket black exhaust tip finisher.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Then, I heard about Pick'n'Pull.
I also found one at my local Pick'n'Pull. (Mine looks nice, but didn't clean up quite as well as yours)
However, I lost the screw/bolt thing that holds it onto the tailpipe.

Two questions:
1. What did you use to clean it?
2. Does anybody know the size of the screw/bold thingy? (that's my technical term for it)

Cheers!
newtstone

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is all stainless steel except the welded in nut and bolt (steel that rusts). My nut/bolt were extremely rusted. The bolt head was so rounded from rust I had to use vice grips to get it out.
The nut/bolt are M6-1. My nut was so rusted a new M6-1 would not screw in. I wasn't sure how much solid steel was left. I bought an M6-1 tap to carefully chase the threads to clean the rust and help clean up the threads.

Cleaning
Black specs on the body surface looked more like road tar spatter specs and cleaned off with brake cleaner and paper towel. That was the only easy part to clean.
The tip had very thick HARD carbon deposits. I tried soaking in spray-on oven cleaner overnight, but I couldn't tell that it helped with the carbon. I only hoped it might soften/loosen it.
I went to Home Depot and got 0000 steel wool ($5 for big bag) and a bottle of Bar Keepers Friend ($3.50), soft cleanser (very mild polish that wont scratch and lubricates the steel wool).
Bar Keepers Friend is also much cheaper than all the automotive polishes; about $3.50 vs $15+ for automotive exhaust polishes.
Some automotive polishes are more aggressive polishes. I also was willing to use more elbow grease using a very mild polish to decrease risk of polish scratching.
It's best to ONLY use 0000 steel wool to avoid adding scratches. This combination worked but also relied on about 45 minutes of scrubbing to get every bit of carbon traces off.
I also used it to clean all I could inside the tip.

My tip actually had some tiny dents and pitting under the thick carbon. I just kept polishing until every trace of carbon was gone from the recesses.
And I had a bit of surface discoloration, but that polished off too.
It's solid stainless steel, keep polishing with the 0000 steel wool and generous Bar Keepers Friend until you only see shiny surface.
I did a final short polish with Bar Keepers Friend and micro-fiber cloth over the whole surface again. It isn't perfect, but shiny enough for the location.

New Bolt
I wanted a stainless steel bolt. It needed to be slightly longer than the original to make sure it wasn't too short.
The original screw was a bit pointy and a perfect length, but I could not match that.
I searched Lowe's specialty bolt bins. I found an M6-1.00 x 12mm socket head cap screw. A bit too long, so I added a 6mm Stainless Steel Split Lock Washer. And lock washer makes it more secure.
The combination looked about the right length (just slightly longer than original). Test fit any solution by making sure the bolt contacts the tailpipe with threads left for tightening.

At first, I only found an M6-1.00 x 16mm socket head cap screw. Much too long but I would have just added extra SS flat washers to get the right length.
I considered trying to grind/file the bolt to a pointy tip like the Honda bolt. But stainless steel is very hard and I would probably damage the threads, so I skipped that attempt at perfection.

Here is a picture comparing my solution. Tighten until the lock washer goes flat.
Household hardware Nickel Gas Auto part Metal
Fluid Household hardware Font Gas Number

Inside the Exhaust Finisher - an exact fit for the original Honda pipe.
Inside the tip, you will see it makes contact on the exhaust pipe on 3 points; the screw and 2 raised shoulders.
The raised shoulders had remnants of hard crispy something baked on and crumbling.
I suspect that Honda had some kind of non-skid rubber on these to provide a good non-slip surface to grip the pipe when the bolt is tightened.
I scraped and sanded to get all the original rubber bits off down to metal.
I had 2 alternatives to put on the raised shoulders.
1. High temp exhaust RTV.
2. Or, I had some double-stick dense rubber tape that was about 1/16" thick.
I finally decided to use small squares of the double-stick tape on part of the raised shoulders.
My tape was a bit too thick, making it a little harder to slide the tip on the pipe, but I got it on.
Had I used the exhaust RTV from the automotive store, I would have put it on the raised shoulders, installed loose for 1 hour and then tightened the bolt down.
But I was afraid I would just rub most of the RTV out of place sliding it on.
I thought I might try painting the raised shoulders with a layer of the high-temp RTV and let it fully cure before putting it on so it could not easily rub off sliding it on.
Just make sure the final assembly feels really secure so it never comes loose.
I've never seen a new tip, so I'm just not sure what Honda originally used as a non-slip surface on the raised shoulders. I'm pretty sure it had something, not bare metal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If someone ever sees a brand new Honda tip it would be informative to see what, if any, non-slip coating Honda put on the 2 shoulders that rest on the top of the exhaust pipe.
(With a photo inside the exhaust finisher)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts