Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in for some warranty work recently(Had my steering rack replaced) and my Service manager pointed out a little something I don't think any of us thought of.
I have a hula girl on my dash. She's velcro'd on there and I have gotten somewhat emotionally attached to her. Well my service manager pointed out the fact that a dash mounted hula girl, or a dash mounted anything for that matter, will become a rather lethal projectile in the event of an airbag deployment. I'll let that sink in for a minute....

Think about it folks. If you have a dash mounted bobble head or what-have-you and you get in an accident and your passenger side airbag deploys, it's gonna send your hula girl rocketing at something like 240mph straight at your head. I'm gonna miss that cute little Hawaiian honey and her ukelele. :cry:

Thought I'd pass that little gem of information along.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
My hula girl is mounted in the center of the dash. Above and left of the passager air bag. According to pictures I have seen depicting deployment, the air bag fires striaght out and expands, I can't see how it would have any contact with the center of the dash. If I am missing something I would like to know.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured she's all the way over in the middle, but he said they have seen some pretty scary stuff happen when the bags deploy. Feel like testing your theory? :wink:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Any loose objects on the dash will become dangerous projectiles in an airbag deployment.

On that note, ANY loose items in your car will become projectiles in a crash. People have been hurt by unbelted passengers bouncing around inside a vehicle during a rollover.

Newton's Law - An object in motion stays in motion.

It's not just a good idea, it's the law!

Regards,
SOL

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
OMG! I better remove my stuffed penguin....

Can you imagine death by penguin or death by hula girl!!!

Now that would be a awful way to die....
"My wife was killed by a stuffed penguin"

·
Registered
80 Posts
Same goes for your hands on the steering wheel. Think about where many acidents happen. Turning across oncoming traffic. Think about how you use your hands when turning. If you cross your hands over guess what could happed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Death by hula girl doesn't sound all bad... :wink:

<of course, my wife just hit me for that comment.>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts