Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 4 years, Ele is FINALLY getting a system installed!
Over the past decade, I have been slowly building up a decent system that started out in my '90 Integra, then moved to my '93 240SX, then to the '01 Bug. We sold the bug 2 years ago and those stereo parts have just been sitting on top of my wife's dresser hutch since.

I can't tell you how many combinations of equipment I have had over the past 11 or 12 years. I have had a single 12", 2x10"s, 3x10"s, 2x15"s, 1x15", at one point I had a pair of triangle woofers, but after all of these, I have settled on my favorite of all, a pair of 8" Diamond Audio CM3s. These little gems are built like a tank, have great frequency response, only take an enclosure of 0.5 cuft/each and they hit like 12"s.

To keep up with the tight, accurate bass, I need some great sounding mids/highs. Thats where my Diamond Audio D3 5 1/4" component set comes in. For rear fill, 6 1/2" Diamond Motorsports. The headunit I will be installing will be a Kenwood eXcelon x789, nothing special, (not even iPod control :-( . And powering this will be a pair of amps that I have had for a long time almost 10 years, a Fosgate 800a4 for the mids/highs, and an 800a2 for the subs. These things are massive, they are also powerful! I don't know if this is still done, but years ago, Fosgate included a "birth sheet" with all of their amps showing the quality inspection results. The sheet for my 800a4 shows a total output power of 872 watts while the 800a2 drops a whopping 958 watts! thats 1830 watts total!

I am friends with the owner of a local car stereo shop, Quality Car Stereo, (the BEST SHOP in town!) he is helping me with the planning of this, but I'm doing all the work. We worked out a game plan and here is what we decided...

I started today with a test board, I replaced the spare tire cover with a sheet of plywood to get an idea how the layout is going to work out. I mounted the amps roughly where they are going to be in the final setup. This week I will try to get a pair of simple 12"x12"x6"(int) boxs built so I can test to positioning of the subs. Next weekend (weather permitting) I will install the headunit, run the RCAs to the amps & get power to the amps. For now, I will leave the factory speakers in place (though they will be connected to the 800a4) and just concentrate on the subwoofer placement. Possible placements: firing down into the spare tire well, directly up, angled back, angled forward, straight back, mounted on either side of the cargo area, etc.

After I figure out where the subs will go I will install the mids/highs. Eventually I will get started on the final enclosure. I will be focusing mainly on retaining the E's utility, while allowing me to have a great sound system. If I end up mounting the subs on the floor, I will design the box so that it is trivial to remove the sub enclosure(s) and replace them with a panel so that I can load the back with cargo like usual. I plan on building a cover of some sort over the amps protecting them from cargo.

Here is an image I of todays progress:

(no I still haven't finished installing the leather seats I bought nearly 2 years ago!)

I will be posting updates as they happen and maybe a wire diagram when details become a little more concrete. If you have any ideas for me, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
at one point I had a pair of triangle woofers
ah the old bazooka triangles :)

If you have any ideas for me, please let me know.
if you are looking at removing the spare tire which you will have to in order to build boxes in the well then i would mount the amps in there and build a new console area for the woofers up front. that is what i am doing with a kicker L58 between the sc console and the rear seats in mine and i flushed my amp into the rear area that you are playing with now and i can still get my spare out if i need to. http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=786786#post786786

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Wow it looks like you have the same leather seats I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
That Plywood you chose for the base of the project is terrible quality for sound stuff. I would have chosen MDF, or stacked fin-birch which is practically vibration-less, which is what you want.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I started today with a test board, I replaced the spare tire cover with a sheet of plywood to get an idea how the layout is going to work out.
dont think that is what is being used for the end project, at least i hope not either.

·
Registered
557 Posts
IF that's the layout, you may also want a way to regain trunk space. maybe by creating a false floor, mounting the amps vertically across the back, and putting the subs on the sides. Unless you don't use the trunk, then it really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
After 4 years, Ele is FINALLY getting a system installed!
Over the past decade, I have been slowly building up a decent system that started out in my '90 Integra, then moved to my '93 240SX, then to the '01 Bug. We sold the bug 2 years ago and those stereo parts have just been sitting on top of my wife's dresser hutch since.

I can't tell you how many combinations of equipment I have had over the past 11 or 12 years. I have had a single 12", 2x10"s, 3x10"s, 2x15"s, 1x15", at one point I had a pair of triangle woofers, but after all of these, I have settled on my favorite of all, a pair of 8" Diamond Audio CM3s. These little gems are built like a tank, have great frequency response, only take an enclosure of 0.5 cuft/each and they hit like 12"s.

To keep up with the tight, accurate bass, I need some great sounding mids/highs. Thats where my Diamond Audio D3 5 1/4" component set comes in. For rear fill, 6 1/2" Diamond Motorsports. The headunit I will be installing will be a Kenwood eXcelon x789, nothing special, (not even iPod control :-( . And powering this will be a pair of amps that I have had for a long time almost 10 years, a Fosgate 800a4 for the mids/highs, and an 800a2 for the subs. These things are massive, they are also powerful! I don't know if this is still done, but years ago, Fosgate included a "birth sheet" with all of their amps showing the quality inspection results. The sheet for my 800a4 shows a total output power of 872 watts while the 800a2 drops a whopping 958 watts! thats 1830 watts total!

I am friends with the owner of a local car stereo shop, Quality Car Stereo, (the BEST SHOP in town!) he is helping me with the planning of this, but I'm doing all the work. We worked out a game plan and here is what we decided...

I started today with a test board, I replaced the spare tire cover with a sheet of plywood to get an idea how the layout is going to work out. I mounted the amps roughly where they are going to be in the final setup. This week I will try to get a pair of simple 12"x12"x6"(int) boxs built so I can test to positioning of the subs. Next weekend (weather permitting) I will install the headunit, run the RCAs to the amps & get power to the amps. For now, I will leave the factory speakers in place (though they will be connected to the 800a4) and just concentrate on the subwoofer placement. Possible placements: firing down into the spare tire well, directly up, angled back, angled forward, straight back, mounted on either side of the cargo area, etc.

After I figure out where the subs will go I will install the mids/highs. Eventually I will get started on the final enclosure. I will be focusing mainly on retaining the E's utility, while allowing me to have a great sound system. If I end up mounting the subs on the floor, I will design the box so that it is trivial to remove the sub enclosure(s) and replace them with a panel so that I can load the back with cargo like usual. I plan on building a cover of some sort over the amps protecting them from cargo.

Here is an image I of todays progress:

(no I still haven't finished installing the leather seats I bought nearly 2 years ago!)

I will be posting updates as they happen and maybe a wire diagram when details become a little more concrete. If you have any ideas for me, please let me know.
" For now, I will leave the factory speakers in place (though they will be connected to the 800a4)"

Its safe to run 100 watts to each factory speaker?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
" For now, I will leave the factory speakers in place (though they will be connected to the 800a4)"

I have been running a decent sized 4 channel amp on the stock speakers in my Ranger for almost 10 years and they are still going strong and actually sound really good amped. The key is to not run a lot of low frequency through them to reduce heat and to make sure the components are gain matched properly to avoid clipping.

·
Registered
79 Posts
intresting...
makes me wonder if your buying an entry to mid level aftermarket speaker if you are actually "upgrading"... I know what kinda power a speaker can handle isnt everything, but it is a big something...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow it looks like you have the same leather seats I have.
I bought my leather from fujiisan a while back. I love them! I need to install the last one on the right rear seat though. My daughters car seat has been there and I haven't yet got a cover to protect the leather from getting stretch marks from it. Got another kid on the way soon, maybe I will finally figure something out by then.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IF that's the layout, you may also want a way to regain trunk space. maybe by creating a false floor, mounting the amps vertically across the back, and putting the subs on the sides. Unless you don't use the trunk, then it really doesn't matter.
I am planning on making the subs easily removable. When the sub box is removed, there will be a panel to cover the hole so that the floor is flat. I will only lose about 2 1/2-3" of vertical space.

For a better idea about my current plans here are some renders:

and

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

It's actually just as safe or even safer to run them on an aftermarket amp than on the cars built in stereo. As long as you don't keep it cranked up to 11 all the time. A 400watt amp doesn't mean that you are pushing 400watts 100% of the time. By having a more powerful amp, you are able to turn the volume up with less distortion. Distortion is what usually kills speakers. That said, you can't expect a speaker rated for 10-15watts to be able to handle 300-400 watts on a constant basis and last very long.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
intresting...
makes me wonder if your buying an entry to mid level aftermarket speaker if you are actually "upgrading"... I know what kinda power a speaker can handle isnt everything, but it is a big something...
Most of the time when you upgrade to aftermarket speakers, you will get a noticeable improvement. Keep in mind, most factory speakers are thin paper cones with foam surrounds, which after a few years start to fall apart. Most aftermarket speakers are made of some sort of composite material with rubber surrounds. Plus they are usually more tolerant to abuse (excessive distortion) than the factory speakers. Unless you are buying wallyworld brand cheapos, you will more than likely get a speaker that is of somewhat higher sound quality than the OEMs.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the amps & subs installed. The 800a4 is connected to the factory mids/highs and they really sound good, though not enough mid-bass for my taste. It doesnt look like much but I will have pics soon.

I am currently in Columbia, TN for a cousins wedding, and I had a chance to test the setup for about 6 hours. I am fairly pleased with the results, and there is Just enough bass when the headunit is set to Subwoofer "-7".

Next on my to-do list, build a proper box for the area the subs will be in.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
at one point I had a pair of triangle woofers
I myself have been holding out for the star shaped subwoofers but since the fall of the soviet union, R&D has been put on hold.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any update/pics on this?
Yeah, I have the amps installed as well as the subs (in the old box that was built for the VW i used to drive). The 800a4 is connected to the factory speakers, but soon I will install the Diamonds.

sorry for the pic, i took it with my phone in direct sunlight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts