Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I really blew it. I admit it. But frankly, I think I have paid my dues.
I wore out my struts at 70k miles. I didn't mind, because all of my driving is across NYC. The brakes were close too, so I decided to do it all. I bought KYB replacements and mounts from Rock Auto as well as discs and pads. So far so good. Where I screwed up was that my regular mechanic, who is average at best, couldn't fit me in for weeks so I hired a guy off craigslist. He screwed up every last thing. My car ended up parked for a month while I tracked down the OEM washers and other parts that he chucked. I paid my regular shop to do all of the work again. The rears weren't seated correctly, the fronts were leaking, (rock replaced those no problem) and the brake pads were missing the springs and shims.
Now one month after it is all finished it sounds and feels terrible again. I have to drive over a cobblestone street everyday, and it sounds like everything is going to fall out. The car is puling some, and my mileage has continued a steady drop to 18 from 20.
I guess I have to go to the dealer, but my two local ones are really unimpressive. If I can't it is straight soon, I will probably give up and buy a new car, which I don't want to do.

Listen, I know I screwed up at first, but can't I be done making amends?

·
Registered
816 Posts
i just did the brakes all around on my e last month,,how did he screw up the brakes??there simple,,,you cannot buy shims and the springs alone...they come all together in the box,,,,you and might need to re buy the front pads..but you can always re-use the springs and shims......if you do re-buy the front pads i see your in nyc area..if your in the bklyn area i can always install them for you,,,it takes 30 mins tops,,,,as far as the struts someone else might be able to help you with them,

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The brakes are fine now, thanks. My shop did straighten them out.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bigsmokes, I forgot to say thanks for the offer of help. I do commute to Redhook every day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts