Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading and re-reading many of the threads in this forum, I finally built up the courage to tackle this do-it-yourself project. I was fortunate to have a U-Haul dealer nearby who had a 82580 in stock for the now typical $134.00. First observation, very well made and also very heavy.

To do the install, I was able to lie under the rear of the car and just push it up a little on one side then the other until it was wedged in place. To get it the rest of the way, I decided against a hammer (for now) and instead used my floor jack. Pushing up on one side and then the other it went straight up until the rear holes were perfectly aligned.

To get the bolts in, I was very worried but then quite surprised at how little material needed to be removed to slip the square washers and bolts into the frame rail. I used a small convex hand file and it only took 5-10 minutes.

It wasn't obvious to me at first but the washer and bolt are threaded into the frame rail together but one after the other (duh)! The trick to getting the wire tool threaded through was to rotate it so the wire was naturally curved in the right direction. Just a couple tries and it the wire slid along the inside of the frame rail and then popped out. A little tug and the washer seated on the bolt and the threads followed. I spun off the wire tool and slipped on a nut and that was it. BTW, that wire should win a tool of the year award.

So for a half-hour at U-Haul and an hour in my driveway, I have a new hitch on my E - not including the 10-20 hours reading through these boards :)

A definte do-it-yourself project for anyone and their E.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Welcome,
Good for you on completing this first MOD, of many you will take on.
Now, pictures would be nice.....:)
Enjoy your Element.....
Cecil...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts