Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read a couple of install guides in the forum and I am currently confused on how to install mine.

I bought this on Ebay> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0382059320&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT
U-Haul Class III - 2" Receiver
Part # 78258

Received it today and after looking at the parts and the instructions, it is different:confused:
Part # on the hitch is correct and the install guide does say Honda Element 03-08.

Attachments

·
Registered
873 Posts
just fallow those instructions that came with it.it will be fine,looks easyer than the ones that you need to fish washers& bolts into the frame like what I have (also an ebay uhall, $89.00) good luck, make sure it,s tight. I had to shim mine at the bumper(down about 1/8") for clearance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
RAWR ...

The UHaul hitch you show looks identical to the Draw-Tite hitch I installed on my wife's '09 a week ago. Your part number is 78258, mine is 75659. Often, one manufacturer makes one part for several branded distributors.

Your instruction sheet is identical to mine, including the part numbers in upper right corner, and the info at the bottom ... 75659N, 3-12-09, Rev B.

These instructions work perfectly for installing the hitch, no parts left over. :grin:

I think you should go with the instructions provided and ignore the linked instructions from E-Bay. Those look like Valley and don't seem correct for this hitch.

This hitch goes on the inside of the frame members as shown in the UHaul/Drawtite instructions. The Valley instructions show the hitch mounting on the outside of the frame members, which is probably correct for their hitch, but irrelevant to your application.

One of the best things you can do to help prepare for this install is to get your tools together in advance. Maybe a socket and box wrench for the big bolt/nut plus a socket for the u-bolt nuts. I did my install at home, then went to a friends to use his torque wrench for the final tightening.

Total install time about an hour.

Now, I just need to get up the motivation to go out and install the wiring adapter and harness that arrived more recently.

Good Luck, BillP

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I feel better now :smile:
This version of the hitch looks a little easier to install (no fish hooking) and less clearance problems. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I meant to mention the rear bumper trim.

There's been some discussion on this forum of hitches pushing the bumper trim up. The Draw Tite, on an '09 EX pushes the trim up by less than an inch. There's some confusion here, where some report that it pushes the bumper itself up which it does not. Only the rubber trim on the bottom of the bumper is displaced.

It doesn't look bad or unnatural to me, since the transition is gradual. To me, it's not worth the trouble to trim and I don't want to risk a bad trim job that looks hatched. I know some here are bothered much more that I am about the trim displacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts