Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed when I open the door to get in my E after unlocking with remote key, I hear a short beep. Does anyone know what the beep is for :?:

·
Registered
30 Posts
When you use the remote it flashes the lights. When the lights flash and the key isn't in the ignition it sets off the 'your lights are on' beep. So as the lights flash twice, the beeper inside goes off twice at the same time. If you're quick when you open the door after unlocking (as the lights still flash) you'll hear the trail end of the last beep. No worries. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be darn.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
It's supposed to do that. The parking lights flash twice when vehicle is unlocked. With the lights being "ON" twice and the vehicle being turned off, you get the "lights left on" beep. Mine has always done this. If you don't want to hear it just wait until after the lights flash and then open the door.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: Now it beeps when I open the door...

I have a terrible problem with beeping. When I unlock the car, there is a shrill, long beep that goes on for 20 seconds after I unlock the car, I can't shut it off and it's really annoying when you pick up a girl for a date and your car is annoying her. Anyone know how to disable the beeping? It's driving me mad! I wouldn't however, sell my E for just that, I love it too much.
-Element858
P.S. Car's name is "Pahu"- Hawaiian word for Box

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: Now it beeps when I open the door...

Nevermind, I fixed it. The problem was because when my car unlocked, it turned on the parking lights on for 30 seconds and caused my car to beep at me to tell me that I had left my lights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Keyless Entry "Ding Dong"

My 05 EX obviously has keyless entry. When I unlock with the key fob and open the driver's door; an ding-dong electronic tone sounds. The same tone sounds regardless if I use a single push (only drivers door) or a double push (all doors).
Went to delership and tested two other 05's. Both produced same electronic tones. Sales/Technical staff were not aware of this condition and had no answers. Owners Manual is no help. Why did Honda engineer this feature and what does it signify???Tone does not occur when "Key" is used.
Go carefully-----

·
Registered
295 Posts
Re: Keyless Entry "Ding Dong"

My '05 is the same. Always wondered about that too.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

I've noticed it too. The only thing I could think of is if you're sleeping in the car, you'll hear if someone else unlocks the doors.

·
Registered
40 Posts

I had the same thing happen in my last car after I had a lo-jack keyless entry installed.

The tone is the same tone the car makes if you leave the headlights on.

If you watch, the ding matches up with the parking-light flash.

So, the keyless-entry flashes the lights, the car goes "oh, the lights are on, door's open, key's out of the ignition" and dings to tell you.

Bit of a logic 'bug'.

Mikey

·
Registered
176 Posts

My 05 does the same thing, however the electronic beep is cut off at the end, making the beep sound like a mistake or problem.. I was worried about it, but then forgot it..

·
Registered
3,150 Posts

Mikey is right. It's only doing it because you are opening the drivers door and the vehicle thinks you have left your lights on during the 2 parking light flashes. Open your door within the 20-30 second time limit after the second flash and you'll never hear the "lights on" beep when you open the door.

·
Registered
4 Posts

THANK YOU one and all.... Press unlock on the remote..... count to 15.......
open door ......... NO ding-dong!! Mystery solved.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

mikey6331 said:
I had the same thing happen in my last car after I had a lo-jack keyless entry installed.

The tone is the same tone the car makes if you leave the headlights on.

If you watch, the ding matches up with the parking-light flash.

So, the keyless-entry flashes the lights, the car goes "oh, the lights are on, door's open, key's out of the ignition" and dings to tell you.

Bit of a logic 'bug'.

Mikey
Ah! Makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
2 Posts
DO you have this beep:

I have remote entry.

I walk to my E, I hit the unlock, I open the door, and I hear dinging, like I took the key out with the lights on.
Now if I hit the unlock RIGHT before I open the door I hear 5 dings
If I hit the unlock then wait say 10 seconds (I did not actually time this).. no dings
If I hit the unlock then wait 5 seconds... 2 and a half dings.....

Is this normal or is my E dinging too much?

Thanks,
-Mark

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Re: DO you have this beep:

I think you have a normal amount of ding-age. I read a post somewhere else on this. If you're walking to the car and you open it from 20 feet, there will be no dinging when you open. But when you open it right after the remote, it dings more. Not sure why. Mine does the same.

·
Registered
144 Posts

that is normal every honda i've owned has done that same thing. and it always beeps the same number of times you just don't hear it when you wait to get in.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts

This has been explained before but it's because your parking lights flash twice to show the car has been unlocked. Whenever your lights are on and the driver door is opened it thinks you are exiting the vehicle while leaving your lights on during those 2 flashes. If you wait until after the second flash and open your door it will not beep. If you open anyother door besides the driver door during the 2 parking light flashes, it will not beep. If you are inside the vehicle with the door closed and hit the unlock/lock button, it will not beep. It's only the combination of opening the door during the 2 flashes that you will hear it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts