Honda Element Owners Club banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

· Registered
543 Posts
Do I have a short?

After I unlock my truck via remote (pushing twice for all doors to unlock) when I open my door there is sometimes a dinging sound. I think it may be the same one that sounds when you take your key out of the ignition and the lights are still on. ( I think it sounds the same, is not caused by this). Any ideas? It's done it since day 2 and someday I hear it and other I do not.

I started to think it was me opening the doors quickly after being unlocked when it is still doing the unlocking thing. You know -- the exterior lights always blink twice when you push the button. Help!!!

· Registered
1,466 Posts
When you unlock your vehicle with the remote (the lights flash) and quickly open the doors you will hear the warning that the lights are on.

Regards,

· Registered
253 Posts
I noticed that too, Heather.

When I hit the unlock button the parking lights flash twice. If I open the door while they are flashing I hear the dinging in sync with the lights flashing. If the door stays shut, no ding (I left a window open so I could hear it).

My conclusion is that the dinging is the alarm that tells you that your lights are on. You know, the one that starts making noise as you get out of the car with your lights on. When the lights flash, they are "on" for a moment. If your door is open at that time, then you hear the "ding". Made sense to me, once I figured it out. I haven't worried about it since.

· Registered
1,466 Posts
This is the alarm that sound when the lights are on. Unlocking your vehicle causes the lights to flash twice.

Regards,

· Registered
1,253 Posts
It is normal.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
When you use your keyless entry to unlock the doors, and you open the driver door does it beep then. Not sure why, it must be a comfirmation of some sort, so I never worried about it.

· Registered
14 Posts
door chime problem??

Here is my question...when I unlock the door with the remote, the door chime goes off for about 1 second (if that) as soon as I open the door, and then stops. Do the door chimes always go on when the doors are first unlocked? and if so, is it so short that you wonder if there is a short in the wires?

I know, I know. I have tons of questions! But I want to make sure my new E is perfect, especially considering that I just purchased it. Ahhh, it's like I'm a first time mother....thanks for being so helpful!!

· Registered
4,156 Posts
not to worry

it is normal. that is the same chime that comes on when you leave your lights on. Trun off your car and remove the key from the ignition and leave lights on if it is the same chime no worries.

· Registered
2,165 Posts
The alarm system turnes on the parking lights and the chime thinks the lights were left on by you. The alarm is back feeding the lighting system. BEEEEEEEEEEP...

· Registered
3,447 Posts
The alarm system turnes on the parking lights and the chime thinks the lights were left on by you. The alarm is back feeding the lighting system. BEEEEEEEEEEP...
I hate it when other people quote entire posts, but your grasp of "gadget logic" is so utterly transparent and unprecedented, I couldn't resist, slimerdogs! Odds are 99.9% that your deduction is exactly correct! :rolleyes: :cool:

· EOC Rank: BANNED! :)
491 Posts
I dunno the magic answer, all I know is that my E does that too and it kinda bugs me. :x

I got over it though. :-D

· Registered
124 Posts
Was just going to post this exact question. I thought maybe there was a problem with the switch on the door-frame or something. It's sort of a half-chime that usually cuts out half-way through. I really thought something was shorting out. Glad to know it's normal!

Search before posting works for me! :grin:

· Registered
32 Posts
Key Fob Ding

I've noticed on my recently purchased SC that I occasionally hear a little ding-deng when I open my door.

I can't figure out what I'm doing, because I only hear it on occasion. It may do it all the time, and I only hear it when I unlock the door when I'm close, and hear it as I open the door.

Can anybody enlighten this new Toaster owner?

BTW, really like the vehicle. :)

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.