Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am, back again with another concern about poor Ruby (07 EX 4WD).

For those who have seen my earlier posts, most everything is fine from the major engine work. The valves seem good, no serious shudder, only code currently active is the downstream 02 sensor (which I'm going to replace soon,) and all that.

But! I have come across an interesting set of issues. I noticed that something in the passenger side front suspension seemed to squeak. I let it go for a week or two, seeing if it would go away, but no dice. There's not really an explicit pattern I've noticed, but almost always occurs when going over rough/uneven roads.

However, upon going under for an inspection, I noticed almost the entire passenger suspension system was coated in a layer of oil- definitely fresh. Quick look deeper suggested it was coming from the lower section of the engine. Took it into my local (very sleazy) mechanic, and they said there was nothing from the timing chain cover (as I had suspected due to them having to remove it previously), but instead a pair of solenoids. They replaced those, but 2 weeks later the leak is still there.

So! I ask you, the forum- where should I begin to look for this? What could be causing the squeaking? Where is a good place to start looking for the leak? Should I just get it diagnosed from a different mechanic, the local Honda dealer, maybe? I believe the ball joints were done recently, and the shocks definitely were. Maybe thought about the CV axle? Or maybe a sway bar bushing? Thanks for all the help, as always.

·
Registered
2008 LX FWD AT
2,613 Posts
Clean/degrease the area as best you can, then drive it a little and look for the source of the leak.

Bounce the vehicle by hand to listen for the squeak.

·
Registered
200K Mile Club, 2006 LX AWD
59 Posts
For the leak check the seal of the strainer located behind the power steering pump (yes you have to remove it, +10mins maybe) then check the seal of the VTEC solenoid.

For the squeak, check the bushings on the lower control arms, dunno when/if they've been replaced but mine were completely hollowed out on all 4 sides, replaced them and fixed my squeak

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So, long time since I first posted, but I figured I'd put in a little update, perhaps see if this goes anywhere.

First, it seems as though the squeak is gone. I don't exactly know how, but I can't hear it anymore. Oh well.

Second, I did some digging when I was doing some other work, and found this (in pics). It seems to be exactly where the oil is coming from (notice the difference in grime on the bolts),though I can't see it explicitly dripping. Question for you guys is: could I have found it? And if so, what would be the replacement procedure? Is there a gasket I can replace, or is it missing a cover? There seems to be a tiny crack where the bracket meets with the block on the right side.

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2008 LX FWD AT
2,613 Posts
I don't think that is a crack, just surface imperfections in the block casting. Get some brake cleaner and spray it in there (put a piece of cardboard under the engine). Remember that whatever is leaking will tend to flow down and back. I suspect it is coming from the timing cover (item 2); it is sealed with Hondabond (no gasket). It could also be the o-ring (8) on the crank position sensor (3).

Auto part Font Technical drawing Diagram Drawing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts