Honda Element Owners Club banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Combination seat and step stool.

The camper needed two folding step stools that would be used as seats inside or outside the vehicle. In addition, one of the stools would be used as the first step to enter the Ecamper bed upstairs (the second step would be the countertop). The stools needed to be not too heavy and not overly large. A height of 12” or so would work well as a both a seat and a step, and when used as a seat, would be low enough so that you didn’t have to sit in it bent over to clear the headliner. Initially I went with a stool like the following, which is commonly available at many stores:

Photo of the stool folded:

This stool was the correct height, but weighed 4.36 lbs, and was rather large in area when folded or deployed. When used in the aisle, it would be big enough to block the aisle. I decided to go with a smaller, lighter, lower step stool, and somehow build up the height higher, while adding minimal weight. I bought two stools from Home Depot, each 2.49 lbs, and I was able to add slightly over 3” to the height while only adding 0.72 lbs to each stool, for a total of 3.2 lbs per stool, a total savings of over 2 lbs.

Here is a photo of one of the stools in the aisle, with another one barely visible behind the passenger seat. The lower white and black part is what I purchased from Home Depot, while the part above is what I added, consisting of Foamular XPS foam, a 1/8” layer of birch plywood, and a piece of Z-rest sitting pad (dark green):

Another view showing the two stools being used on the ground behind the tailgate. The stools are at the correct height to be used as seats with the tailgate as the table:

When the stools are folded, they can be stored interlocked together. Here is a top view of them folded and interlocked, but without the Z-rest tops:

Another view:

Another view:

One stool alone, folded:

Another view:

The height extension is held to the plastic top of the stool via two 1/4-20 studs going through holes on the plastic stool top. Here one of the tops has been unbolted from the stool, so that the two studs are visible:

The studs are held in place with Gorilla Glue, which works well for bonding steel to the XPS, and XPS to XPS:

Side view of three stacked 1” sheets of XPS with a 1/8” baltic birch layer on top. These were all bonded together with Gorilla Glue. Gorilla Glue is activated by water, and tries to greatly expand when curing, so I had to use a lot of force to hold this sandwich together as the glue was curing:

Another view of the foam and thin plywood top. The reason for the plywood top is that the XPS doesn’t have good impact resistance. A hard push at one point on it with your finger will dent it. The plywood spreads the impact over a large area, and cures the impact problem. After bonding everything together, I trimmed down and sanded the edges of the XPS, then used varnish on the XPS and wood:

The height extension bolted down to the top of the plastic stool:

Another view:

Thermarest Z-rest pad placed on top of plywood, for padding while seated. The Z-rest piece was 1/2 of a Z-rest sitting pad:

The two folded stools and pads interlocked and placed on top of the kitchen box. This is probably where I will store them while driving, using 1/2” nylon webbing to hold them in place. Anytime I would need to access the top of the kitchen box, I would probably also be using the folding stools, so they would not be in the way:

Another view of the stools on top of the kitchen box:

The folded and interlocked stools also fit easily on the shelf inside the lower driver side cabinet:

The folded and interlocked stools will also fit in the upper driver side cabinet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow. One of the most impressive and best detailed DIYs of any kind I have ever seen on the web. Thoughtful and inspiring modifications and fantastic craftsmanship, plus some of the best insight into an E teardown for anyone to use for other purposes. Well done! I'm burning with envy. =) Please be sure the pics are hosted somewhere good! Many people will be visiting this thread for many years to come!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Wow. One of the most impressive and best detailed DIYs of any kind I have ever seen on the web. Thoughtful and inspiring modifications and fantastic craftsmanship, plus some of the best insight into an E teardown for anyone to use for other purposes. Well done! I'm burning with envy. =) Please be sure the pics are hosted somewhere good! Many people will be visiting this thread for many years to come!
Thanks for the feedback and kind words. I thought it was important to show photos of what is behind various plastic panels and flooring for those who needed that information. I have no plans to change my picture hosting, so the pictures should be available for the foreseeable future.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Truly impressed! I just rear this whole thread and I am amazed. Time,talent and well thought out. I am sure you enjoy your E. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have not visited the site in some time, but just now it appears that the pictures are all still here.
I just read through this entire thread over the course of a week and all the photos are indeed there. Fantastic job on the build, and the detailed explanations in each post. Truly a wealth of knowledge!

Great job, and happy camping! I want to see some pictures of it in action and loaded with gear!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Super late to the party here..

@LoveOurECamper Would you every consider releasing a set of complete plans for your Nanocamper build (especially the cabinetry). I'm sure there would be a few (including me) who would pitch in a few dollars for them. Thanks!

81 - 93 of 93 Posts