Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my 06' E down the beach yesterday , and it started knocking bad from the back. I looked under from the back while my fiend gave it some gas na dthe differential shook madly. It sounds like a sledge hammer beating on the frame, when the front wheels slip. Its a manual tranny, we toed it back to pavement, and it drives fine, sept for an occasional slight knocking. I actually drove it 180 miles back home , just the occasional light knock. Any ideas what happened?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I was driving my 06' E down the beach yesterday , and it started knocking bad from the back. I looked under from the back while my fiend gave it some gas na dthe differential shook madly. It sounds like a sledge hammer beating on the frame, when the front wheels slip. Its a manual tranny, we toed it back to pavement, and it drives fine, sept for an occasional slight knocking. I actually drove it 180 miles back home , just the occasional light knock. Any ideas what happened?
Change the rear diff fluid, and see what ya got then. You just might be lucky...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just did that about 6 months ago....and it didi get rid of the usual clicking noise. But this is somethin else, could be rear diff related, beacuse it knock when turning...

·
Registered
44 Posts
i would bet that one of your attachment bushings has degraded or is loose. i have seen that a lot on the differential housings for the newer 4x4 trucks with IFS

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the replies!
there IS a rubber piece that is loose in its cradle. its the one that is perpendicular with the axle. It is shaped like a 5" broom handle with two knubs sticking out a half inch or so. Bad description sorry.... maybe there is a pic to look at or I'll post one. All the others look solid and in goo condition.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If you were in sand or even heavy snow and give it a lot of gas or just slipping the front tires the rear diff will in guage real hard sometimes and you will hear a bang from the quick offset from the front to the rear driveline. and the rear diff is on rubber mounts and it will force the pinion up and bottom out the rubber bushings. I have had this happen even when the rear diff fluid was changed. The piece of metal hanging in the rubber is a dampening rod is some sorts and just floats in its mounts. If you go smoothly on the gas it shouldn't happen. If it keeps up check the swaybar bushings or the rear shocks for leaking or the exhaust mounts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks slimdog, I need to see what it should look like and compare. It does make a slight knock now on dry pavement when I do a circle, or gas it hard.
getting it in to the shop next week.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Parts diagram blow up/ rear differential

Does anyone know where I could see one of these on the web, cant seem to find one.
Thanks, Dean

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Thanks slimdog, I need to see what it should look like and compare. It does make a slight knock now on dry pavement when I do a circle, or gas it hard.
getting it in to the shop next week.
It does sound like a shock or swaybar issue. Let us know what you find out..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took it to the shop today, will find out tomorrow afternoon.
I did look at it again, and saw the back right axle was not looking right where it attaches to the differential, boot and axle look blown, and doesn't have the in /out play like the left side. That's gotta be it, I just hope the differential is not damaged!! stay tuned......

·
Registered
176 Posts
Same Issue

I did look at it again, and saw the back right axle was not looking right where it attaches to the differential, boot and axle look blown, and doesn't have the in /out play like the left side. That's gotta be it, I just hope the differential is not damaged!! stay tuned......
I have the same issue, it Knocks/Thumps loud when I make a hard left turn and also when I'm driving over a dip or bump. I believe it might be the axle as well with my research, just haven't gotten around to it. Hope I don't have to change the entire axle. Wonder if it is rebuildable?

No it's not the same as the rear differential clicking sound.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Sooooo...the verdict is...?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally got my car back.......broken right rear drive shaft. Dont know the cause, my mechanic couldnt tell me why either. There were only 2 of the 3 bearings in place inside the boot, at the differential connection.
Total cost $750
I'm happy now!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts