Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the EX w/navigation?
My choice of vehicles expands considerably if I get one without ... and just buy a portable.
Is it worth it? or not...

thanks
e

·
Registered
816 Posts
welcome to eoc,,,i like the portable,,you can take it from car to car..and since i live in nyc,,its one less thing for them to break into my element for..

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dealer had to get my FWD EX-NAVI in the next state over. They couldn't find *any* 4WD EX-NAVIs in easy range.

My jury's still out on NAVI. (I've never had GPS before) But voice commanding XM stations is pretty dang cool. It's not compatible with my MP3 player- that's the only big downer. I may just have flash cards or jump drives instead.

So far, it's positive. I don't regret the extra grief it took to find a NAVI.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ditto, I had to have my dealer make a deal for one that was was already on order by another dealer. I like it, not to thrilled about the $700 disk updates though. Nice ipod interface, voice command apparently hates my voice, back up camera is a plus. I guess if I had to do it all over again, I would still get it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Are you talking about Navigation DVD upgrade?
It is $185 regular price, & $149 sale price now.

Here is link, just select "Element" & "2009".
Hmmmm, I hadn't looked into it because the dealer told me it only gets updated every few years, but the dealer is the one who told me it was $695.00 plus tax. You never know what to believe when they start talking....:x

·
Registered
295 Posts
For what the Navi costs over the regular ex, you can buy a great portable gps and be able to take it in your pocket if sightseeing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Since I have an 03 I don't have Navi, but if the Element's is anything like my wife's 09 Accord I would like it. It displays more then just navigation information like the miles per gallon the car is getting and displays song information for the cds in the changer. Just intergrates well with her car.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I personally would not buy a vehicle with built-in navigation. With the rapidly changing GPS market (Garmin seems to be bringing out a new unit every week) I feel that the unit in the car would be obsolete in less than a year.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Hmmmm, I hadn't looked into it because the dealer told me it only gets updated every few years, but the dealer is the one who told me it was $695.00 plus tax. You never know what to believe when they start talking....:x
They probably included the Honda labor fee for sticking the disk in the slot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I personally would not buy a vehicle with built-in navigation. With the rapidly changing GPS market (Garmin seems to be bringing out a new unit every week) I feel that the unit in the car would be obsolete in less than a year.
I share that opinion, but would ask about the USB interface and back-up camera.
Would like those so may have to accept the GPS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree whole heartedly. I used to sorta envy the guys over on the ROC who have Ridgelines with the OEM Nav because it is the only option I don't have. Then they complained about the price of the update disks and the envy was over.

I use Google Navigation on my Droid in my E and in my Ridgeline. Google updates the maps pretty much every day... for free.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have not used the Honda gps but many oem units do not allow for in route alterations or destination entry. I understand this from a safety point but why can't a passenger enter the info in? Toyota has a very poor interface and is not easy to work. I have a garmin and they are great. The new ones are advancing pretty darn fast and even the after market stereo systems with built in navi can do a lot of what the oem stuff can. do some research on the after market units to see what the differences are between Honda and the others before you decide.

Garmin has a lifetime upgrade program for $100 that will allow you to update the map four times a year for the life of the unit. Not bad if you splurge for one of the higher end gps units with the added features (bluetooth, traffic, mp3, xm weather radar, multi point routing, etc)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Except for the backup camera, you should check out what you can get at Cruchfield for a $1000 or less.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350/In-dash-GPS-Navigation.html?tp=20212
That is true but I don't want to give up steering wheel volume controls and an AUX jack in the arm rest for an aftermarket GPS system. I already have a Garmin system but I heard the Navigation includes voice commands (I wonder if it will connect my bluetooth cell phone) and a courtesy night light when driving. But at $1400 I'm not sure it's worth it.

Yet I'm still confused why I only see it offered on the EX and not the SC.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just keep in mind, OEM navigation offer following two functions likely is not offered with aftermarket navigation. They are important to me:

1) SVC (Speed-Sensitive Volume Compensation). No more audio volume change when driving. It goes up & down automatically along with speed of the car. Three sensitivity levels plus off for SVC. It is possible since Navi received speed info from E's ECM/PCM vehicle speed pulse. Our E is not the quietest car by long shot, this function allow me to enjoy music, regardless speed, w/o manually changing volume, so I could pay attention to the road.

2) GPS will work w/o clear view of sky when on the road. It continue track E's location on the road in the GPS when deep inside the forest or in the tunnel. It is possible since Navi received speed info from E's ECM/PCM vehicle speed pulse, forward/reverse info from E's reverse signal, & Navi unit's own build in yaw rate sensor to determine E's orientation. I don't know how many time I was really appreciated of this function, when I was going through confusing back roads in Santa Cruz mountain here in North CA w/o stopping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
wow Jazzy that is such a good point that I totally overlooked. The unit is connect to the cars computer which allows it to disconnect to the satellites and still keep you going.

Capt: What does the $500 get you, Stereo Bluetooth, hands free operation? And do you have to have navi to get the Bluetooth?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts