Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight, I was starting to pull out of a parking lot onto a busy highway. Waited for a "gap" and started to gas it.

Instead of going, it lurched forwards just a few feet (into the lane) and then felt like I had completely let off the gas and it engine braked strongly.

Had an "OH SH*T!" moment, let off the gas, gave it gas again and all was back to normal.

Any ideas?

I've done a search but haven't found any results that seem to match.

2006 model. 56,000 miles. Out of warranty.

All maintenance is up to date and its the ONLY time its done it thus far that I can recall. I thought I felt something similar (but not as bad) once before quite awhile back. Didn't do it the rest of the night.

No warning lights or funny sounds.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
This could be a hard one if the check engine light didn't turn on. If it did get the codes checked but a hesitation could be a number of things.

·
Registered
707 Posts
That's strange, I know sometimes when my engine is cold and I stomp on the gas I get a "delay" of power for like a second then it kicks in but then it's fine after the engine warms up but that doesn't sound like your problem. I'd get it checked out.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I think a wheel was slipping and the traction control kicked in. to test go to a empty parking lot, turn your wheels and gas it.. If it stalls try turning off the Vehicle Stability Assist. (the button next to the cruse on/off near your left knee) and try it again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree, the only time I had that happen is when the wheel was slipping, once I let off of the gas and back on it was good.

·
Registered
873 Posts
if none of that stuff works try some good fuel conditioner,(bg or lucas ).check to see if the battery is tight(hold downs&terminals).or possiably something on the road. mine has the almost nonexsistant very stiff struts that when it is off camber 1 wheel comes off the roadway & walah no traction,no go.but under warranty honda says it's normal nothing wrong:shock: good luck

·
Registered
751 Posts
I think a wheel was slipping and the traction control kicked in. to test go to a empty parking lot, turn your wheels and gas it.. If it stalls try turning off the Vehicle Stability Assist. (the button next to the cruse on/off near your left knee) and try it again.
To my knowledge the '06 does not have VSA... Could just be a tire slipping. I've done that before in my first car. You don't always hear a screech if the road is wet or you're on sand.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys.

I can tell you that I KNOW it was not a tire slipping. I know how that feels and it wasn't that. Wish it were that simple.

This was a drop in the motor. Saw it in the tach. Dropped to idle.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Since that year is no fly by wire the problem could be caused by a low fuel pressure or bad throttle sensor ect. If it was just started and cold the car is in open loop and is not running efficiently so under a fast hard throttle it could hesitate. If you get a CIL light it will give you an idea what is going wrong.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I had almost the same exact problem at around 60k on my 04 AWD and pulled off/cleaned the IC valve & throttle butter-fly assy and that fixed mine.

Matter of fact, thats the only running problem it's ever had :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I still think a wheel was slipping and the traction control kicked in. It doesn't have to slip much. Find a dirt lot, turn the wheel and gas it. If the engine dies that's what it is. Simple enough to test. Get back to us with the results.

·
12,179 Posts
I still think a wheel was slipping and the traction control kicked in. It doesn't have to slip much. Find a dirt lot, turn the wheel and gas it. If the engine dies that's what it is. Simple enough to test. Get back to us with the results.
As has been stated numerous times in this thread the OP does not have traction control. VSA did not start until the 2007 model year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts