Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What hands free device do you recommend for the element? The $500 fine would be a killer before Christmas.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
What hands free device do you recommend for the element? The $500 fine would be a killer before Christmas.

My Garmin GPS is my hands free Blue tooth device! Plugs into the Aux jack. It also doubles as my I-Pod.It currently has an 8 Gb chip in it. When the incoming call comes in, It suspends the music, and substitutes the call. It's all hands free, unlike my JawBone headset.

I'm waiting to see what it does wile it's in guidance mode. Will it talk over the caller with turn instructions? How rude ! :D

Dom

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
If you're serious about a hands free unit, go with one of Parrot's designs. I've had the 3200LS Color unit in my E for nearly three years now, never had a problem at all.

Plus, they now have plug-n-play connectors for the Element. Makes install a breeze.

Check out their line here.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Maybe it's me, but what's the point of these hands-free devices? I have been getting along just fine using my bluetooth headset, Sirius Sat radio, iPod and TomTom without any of them talking to one another.

I can easily take all of this stuff from car to car, have flown all over the country with this stuff and been able to get it setup in minutes.

I saw Dom make mention of the radio lowering automatically when a call comes in or his Garmin doing something when a call comes in. Is it that difficult to manually lower the radio? I do it before I answer the call or hit the pause on my Sirius radio or the iPod. Really, what am I not seeing here that I have been missing out on all of these years? Not asking this sarcastically either, I really am not seeing a benefit to these devices.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
not sure about canada but some states actually dont allow the earpiece type bluetooth devices as they consider them "headsets" like they went in both ears and you were listening to music with them and couldnt hear a fire truck or cop car.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
it varies from state to state and the ticketing officer's interpertation of the law but california is one specifically that has several "exclusions" but nothing still for bluetooth headsets. the laws havent yet caught up with the times.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27400.htm

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Larry,

The reason I went with a handsfree unit was the simple fact that I despised having that thing in my ear. Yes, they are handy and easily transported from vehicle to vehicle, but I never liked the 'feel' of the thing in my ear.

Not to mention, road noise. We all know how much noise there is in the E - the only earbud I ever found that could work over most of the ambient noise (not counting the radio) was a motorola unit - but that still had the 'don't feel right in/on the ear' issue going. Between that and the fact that I would constantly have to turn the radio down or off just to be able to use the phone - it was just a royal pain in the arse. Then you still have the dial issue - the handsfree units can dial on voice command - totally hands free.

The handsfree units eliminate all that, they not only mute the radio but also use the radio's speakers. No, it's not portable - it's built into the sound system. But then it's not so apt to be stolen either.

I do a lot of traveling with the E, typically I do have to contact people while I'm driving - calling shelters, other transporters, rescues. The handsfree unit works for my needs, maybe it's not the best thing for everyone, but if one is looking for a good handsfree unit, the ones made by Parrot are just that.

Besides, I'm a big fan of having things work for me, not the other way around.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I'm with you on this one Benny!

I have a head set also. I don't like it on long drives/ all day or for over about 2 hours or so. After that long it gets on my nerves.

The Garmin GPS fits the bill for me very well. It's portable ( can be taken from car to car ) and will transmit to an FM station on the radio for car's not equipped with an appropriate jack. Now instead of transporting several items, I just take the GPS. It does what I need it to do seamlessly, Simply, and efficiently. Less to carry !

Larry will learn all about that aspect, when his family expands! LOL :D

Sorry I just could not resist!

Ok Larry, you win ! I'm lazy !

Dom

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
i was using a Parrot hands-free unit 'til my Garmin GPS was stolen and i replaced it w/ a Garmin that has BT link to my phone. the Garmin works just as well as the Parrot did and i now have 1 less thing to worry about.
and when a call is up, the Garmin doesn't provide voice instructions, so it's not rude.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The Invisio G5 is what I use.
http://www.nextlink.to/content/us/invisio®_consumer_headsets/invisio®_g5

Recharge the case and headset in one sitting and you can get over 20 hrs from it. I typically only need to recharge about once a week. The audio quality is good, if a bit loud and slightly tinny. The mic picks up voice and minimal background noise. Headset fits snugly in your ear and holds well enough that you don't have to worry about it coming out if you quickly turn your head.
Charger/carrying case is 3"x2 3/8"x7/8" and kinda like a zippo. You plug a mini USB into it to charge it (with the headset inside) and when not using the headset, just put it inside to top off it's charge.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
If you're serious about a hands free unit, go with one of Parrot's designs. I've had the 3200LS Color unit in my E for nearly three years now, never had a problem at all.

Plus, they now have plug-n-play connectors for the Element. Makes install a breeze.

Check out their line here.
I have that one and love it. I'm thinking about swapping it out for one of the newer ones that allow you to play MP3 music through bluetooth though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts