Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

This last weekend I had to spend an hour and a half digging my 2008 Element out of the snow after getting the undercarriage jammed into the icy snow on a back country road. I've had way too many cringe moments where I wonder when the whole damn thing is gonna rip right off as I do often go on some arguably questionable roads. I really need a lift (do you lift bro?).

I've never done this before, but could someone school me on some good options here? I'm not looking to do anything crazy high but a couple of inches higher would be great. I'm not familiar with the kits so whatever reccs you got are greatly appreciated! Preferably something easy for the mechanic to install since I don't really have the space or tools to do this myself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi there,

This last weekend I had to spend an hour and a half digging my 2008 Element out of the snow after getting the undercarriage jammed into the icy snow on a back country road. I've had way too many cringe moments where I wonder when the whole damn thing is gonna rip right off as I do often go on some arguably questionable roads. I really need a lift (do you lift bro?).

I've never done this before, but could someone school me on some good options here? I'm not looking to do anything crazy high but a couple of inches higher would be great. I'm not familiar with the kits so whatever reccs you got are greatly appreciated! Preferably something easy for the mechanic to install since I don't really have the space or tools to do this myself.
Aerogenics and HRG are the two main options. Ones aluminum, one is steel. Aerogenics has a swap program if you decide you need more or less lift & both offer subframe drop kits (prevents axle wobble, keeps geometry closer to stock despite being lifted).

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 EX AT Fiji Blue
45 Posts
Does a lift tend to put more wear on other components? Axels for example. What kind of mpg difference do folks notice?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Howdy

I have a 1/2 spacer in the rear I made at work, and a 1" spacer in the front I bought from aerogenics.

That doesn't sound like much, but because of the suspension geometry it's a big change. I'm going to say overall, I got over 2". Oh, well I did change out the stock tires also to P235/70R16. I drove thru snow this winter and didn't drag were it would have definitely dragged previous.

I also replaced the rear springs with MOOG - which btw are def stiffer than the old ones. I can carry alot of weight now without any sag. I've mentioned they don't specifically say they are stiffer, but I'm level at probably 500+ lb in the back for the first time ever. They are a little stiff when new, and empty maybe not the greatest ride - but I'm never empty.

I like the lift. It does want to wander a little at speed, but it's not a big deal. I am having some vibration issues, but without doing my research I bought aftermarket CV axles. It's tough to say which caused it, I have seen plenty of complaints about the cheaper axles. I plan to have my original fronts refurbished to see if that helps.

No change in MPG for me. Not noticable anyway.

CM

·
Registered
997 Posts
Howdy

I have a 1/2 spacer in the rear I made at work, and a 1" spacer in the front I bought from aerogenics.

That doesn't sound like much, but because of the suspension geometry it's a big change. I'm going to say overall, I got over 2". Oh, well I did change out the stock tires also to P235/70R16. I drove thru snow this winter and didn't drag were it would have definitely dragged previous.

I also replaced the rear springs with MOOG - which btw are def stiffer than the old ones. I can carry alot of weight now without any sag. I've mentioned they don't specifically say they are stiffer, but I'm level at probably 500+ lb in the back for the first time ever. They are a little stiff when new, and empty maybe not the greatest ride - but I'm never empty.

I like the lift. It does want to wander a little at speed, but it's not a big deal. I am having some vibration issues, but without doing my research I bought aftermarket CV axles. It's tough to say which caused it, I have seen plenty of complaints about the cheaper axles. I plan to have my original fronts refurbished to see if that helps.

No change in MPG for me. Not noticable anyway.

CM
For CV Axles try TRAKMOTIVE, I have used their CV axles on two cars now including the Element. They fit great, easy to install, are new, not rebuilt, don't make any noise and are a great price. I paid $99 Canadian for one front CV.

On my previous car I had both left and front CV from them and they had no issues for the four plus years they were on the car until someone totalled the car, but they were still fine up to that.

The local parts supplier I deal with only carries good parts and drops any problem lines he encounters and has sold a lot of these without issue or returns

TrakMotive | Light Duty Truck CV Axles, ATV-UTV CV Axles & Window Regulators

Warranty info from their website

• TrakMotive warrants its new CV Axles for as long as the original owner owns the vehicle in which this unit was first installed.
  • We warrant all parts purchased from us to be free of defects in workmanship and materials, without regard to a specific period of time.
Warranty Information | TrakMotive

·
Registered
Tango Red Pearl 2008 LX
44 Posts
Aerogenics and HRG are the two main options. Ones aluminum, one is steel. Aerogenics has a swap program if you decide you need more or less lift & both offer subframe drop kits (prevents axle wobble, keeps geometry closer to stock despite being lifted).

This is the right answers. Go Aerogenics or HRG. If you go above 2in you'll need the subframe drop kits. Any change in geometries will arguably wear on your CV joints faster, you're more likely to tear the rubber boots as well. I put the 2in kit from HRG on my 08. No wobble issues. Also bumped the tires up to 16x225x75 (wheel spacers required with 2in lift geometries). Small loss in MPG (1-2miles) but I equate that more to the tires. Mainly the bigger wheels just feel hella heavy when accelerating. You'll want a set of camber bolts for your front struts and if you don't have them already, adjustable upper control arms for the rears are a must. The main danger you have is the notorious freezing of the rear strut shackle to the lower bolt. If that happens you'll need new rear struts to go along with your shiny new lift kit. The lift does kindly make the Elements easier to get underneath for thieves....I speak from experience. So maybe make a cat guard a stretch goal of the project

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is the right answers. Go Aerogenics or HRG. If you go above 2in you'll need the subframe drop kits. Any change in geometries will arguably wear on your CV joints faster, you're more likely to tear the rubber boots as well. I put the 2in kit from HRG on my 08. No wobble issues. Also bumped the tires up to 16x225x75 (wheel spacers required with 2in lift geometries). Small loss in MPG (1-2miles) but I equate that more to the tires. Mainly the bigger wheels just feel hella heavy when accelerating. You'll want a set of camber bolts for your front struts and if you don't have them already, adjustable upper control arms for the rears are a must. The main danger you have is the notorious freezing of the rear strut shackle to the lower bolt. If that happens you'll need new rear struts to go along with your shiny new lift kit. The lift does kindly make the Elements easier to get underneath for thieves....I speak from experience. So maybe make a cat guard a stretch goal of the project
.... And Aerogenics just happens to make a CAT guard ;D

·
Registered
108 Posts
For CV Axles try TRAKMOTIVE, I have used their CV axles on two cars now including the Element. They fit great, easy to install, are new, not rebuilt, don't make any noise and are a great price. I paid $99 Canadian for one front CV.

On my previous car I had both left and front CV from them and they had no issues for the four plus years they were on the car until someone totalled the car, but they were still fine up to that.

The local parts supplier I deal with only carries good parts and drops any problem lines he encounters and has sold a lot of these without issue or returns

TrakMotive | Light Duty Truck CV Axles, ATV-UTV CV Axles & Window Regulators

Warranty info from their website

• TrakMotive warrants its new CV Axles for as long as the original owner owns the vehicle in which this unit was first installed.
  • We warrant all parts purchased from us to be free of defects in workmanship and materials, without regard to a specific period of time.
Warranty Information | TrakMotive
Howdy, I am using the TrakMotive CV axles. They were not the cheapest, but def cheep compared to honda factory.

Now, I could not tell you for sure with any certainty that there's something wrong with the CV axle since I have installed a lift. It goes thru a period of vibration during acceleration like 25-35 mph, then comes out of it. At highway speed though, it whines. I think it's coming from the front driver's side CV, which is the shortest one and therefore the steepest angle.

At this point, it's just a caution. I may well try installing some spacers first to see if it can be eliminated before trying new front CV shafts. I do have all the pieces for my front shafts, so I could use one of the reputable reconditioning outfits to see if that helps.

I do not think I've got any issues in the rear = they are longer shafts than the front. I have already replaced the psgr side half shaft bearing.

CM

·
Registered
108 Posts
I went with Aerogenics for three reasons - they had the spacers in stock, they were less expensive, and they had a 1" front where HRG only had 1.5" and up.

One little annoyance with the Aerogenics spacer - There was two sets of 3 nuts, and a set of 3 bolts. One set of nuts was for fastening the spacer to the strut's studs, and the other set was for the supplied bolts which went thru the shock tower.

Where the spacer fastened to the strut studs, was a counterbored pocket. This was clearly done so that the studs were long enough. The nuts, were the same exact thread - but one set was smaller on the wrench size than the other. I didn't realize it at the time, and I put the larger set of nuts (hahaha) on the studs. When I had them tightened near to the proper torque, I realized why there was two sets - the counterbore wasn't big enough for the larger socket - so the tighter it got, the less engagement I had with socket. I got them tightened, but I'm guessing they'll never come off, there will not be enough purchase to remove them once they're rusty.

I didn't see anything in the instructions about this. Was deeply annoyed for a few minutes. So, if you get the 1" spacers, the smaller nuts (ha) go in the counterbores to the strut studs, and the larger nuts (hahaha) go under the hood on the strut towers.

You may not have that issue with a thicker spacer, as it's likely to be welded like HRG's - but on the 1" spacer it is one piece machined.

Other than that, totally satisfied.

CM

·
Registered
2004 EX AT Fiji Blue
45 Posts
Now, I could not tell you for sure with any certainty that there's something wrong with the CV axle since I have installed a lift. It goes thru a period of vibration during acceleration like 25-35 mph, then comes out of it. At highway speed though, it whines. I think it's coming from the front driver's side CV, which is the shortest one and therefore the steepest angle.

CM
I had a vibration at those speeds which was fixed by changing transmission fluid.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Howdy, I am using the TrakMotive CV axles. They were not the cheapest, but def cheep compared to honda factory.

At this point, it's just a caution. I may well try installing some spacers first to see if it can be eliminated before trying new front CV shafts. I do have all the pieces for my front shafts, so I could use one of the reputable reconditioning outfits to see if that helps.

I do not think I've got any issues in the rear = they are longer shafts than the front. I have already replaced the psgr side half shaft bearing.

CM
Curious how much did you pay for the Trakmotive CV Axles

·
Registered
108 Posts
Curious how much did you pay for the Trakmotive CV Axles
Here's a link to the page on RockAuto.... Looks like $25 bucks for rears and $37 bucks for fronts, in USD.

Link

They weren't the cheapest when I bought them, but looks like they are now.

I have noticed that the replacement part offerings for Element are dwindling somewhat....

CM

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had a vibration at those speeds which was fixed by changing transmission fluid.
That is interesting.

I'm terrified of changing the trans fluid for the first time at 193K miles. I do plan to swap the trans out in the future - looking at a manual trans right now, if it isn't sold tonight I'll buy it. I have a JDM K24A/RBB I bought last month and so maybe this winter I'll be doing the swap along with manual trans.

I won't be making the same mistake with ATF again - I know that it should be changed routinely, but I had a Dodge Intrepid years ago trans failed after I had the fluid changed - makes me leery now, but the deal is one needs to change it just like engine oil to prevent the build up of muck that can be released in a "too little too late" swap of trans fluid. The only issues I have had with my trans (knock on wood) is an occasional hard downshift at full stop.

I don't want to tempt fate on this at the moment - my primary vehicle and I drive it about 1000 miles round trip once a month. Could be an interesting set up for an experiment though right before I do the trans swap.

CM

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here's a link to the page on RockAuto.... Looks like $25 bucks for rears and $37 bucks for fronts, in USD.

Link

They weren't the cheapest when I bought them, but looks like they are now.

I have noticed that the replacement part offerings for Element are dwindling somewhat....

CM
Hi there,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts