Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I only have 1 key, and want a backup. I searched the forum and found people talking about prices that went all over the place. My local Honda place charges $160. Does that sound about right? If you are in the Dallas area and purchased a key - what did you pay?

A locksmith said they would charge $125.

·
EOC Rank: 999
1,793 Posts
I'm kinda curious myself as I had to use my spare key for my auto start modification. Always worry about losing my keys and then not having a backup.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Check Ebay for a key. They are around $20, BUT you need to know what kind of key. On older Elements like my '03, it is just a cut key, but some have a chip that needs to be matched to the car and those are more expensive and then have to be programmed. You need to take your key to the dealer and ask what kind of key you need. It might be the $125 one with a chip or the $20 ebay special and then you get it cut for $10.

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
Check Ebay for a key. They are around $20, BUT you need to know what kind of key. On older Elements like my '03, it is just a cut key, but some have a chip that needs to be matched to the car and those are more expensive and then have to be programmed. You need to take your key to the dealer and ask what kind of key you need. It might be the $125 one with a chip or the $20 ebay special and then you get it cut for $10.

just a little FYI all Element keys have the embeded transponder chip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.