Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am new to the forum. I have read the basic posts, but I'd like to have a thread where I can ask specific questions about my experience. I am currently looking for an Element, but have had bad experience with buying cars and want to be positively sure I know what I am getting for my money.

I'm currently looking specifically at an 03 EX AWD. It is $6900 with 185k miles on it. I know Honda is reliable and with the proper treatment go a long way. But is the price a good deal as far as the model/year goes?

My budget is under 9k. What models should I look out for? What are the best for traveling long distances? Best gas mileage? Easiest to upgrade? Easiest to fix?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Would never pay that much for any vehicle with that mileage. I don't care what book value is. It's old and worn. Are you prepared to pay for even minor repairs? If your thinking you can buy a 'repair contract' Good luck. They are in business to make money not fix your car.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Here is what I tell everyone with questions like yours: before every used car purchase you should have it checked out by an independent mechanic. Call around and ask about a "pre-purchase inspection". If it costs as much as $100 it would still be better than buying a car that later requires $1,000 in repairs. It may also reveal deficiencies that may enable you to talk down the price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I have a friend who is a Honda and Volkswagen Technician and he is going with me to check on them.

I went to go see the Element... it was in terrible shape. Not even worth buying at all. Worried I am not going to find an Element in my price range worth buying. If that's the case, I just can't afford one and its as simple as that. Lol. Anyone recommend an SUV similar to the Element?

Also, the check engine light was on. I understand that some minor issues will trigger this light. Has anyone had experience with the engine light coming on consistently?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Also, the check engine light was on. I understand that some minor issues will trigger this light. Has anyone had experience with the engine light coming on consistently?
Can be a number of things. Scan the code and figure out what it is, or have your mechanic do it. Alternatively, you can opt. not to deal with that kind of hassle. It could be very minor or very serious... if you aren't able to diagnose it or figure out, then it may be worth looking at a different vehicle.

P.S. I do agree with these other posts. Price is high.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Colorado just passed this year that a car with emissions test done with a CEL on will automatically fail. You may be able to find your desired E in the model year your wanting, but I wouldn't be in a hurry. If you do your due diligence it will pay off and you'll find that dream E.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts