Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I know this topic has come up from time to time but I'm curious as to what cars/trucks/suvs that are on everyone's "short list" for serious consideration when it's time to replace your current Element. I am still enjoying my second Element, but it will be decision time for me when my lease is up at the end of the year. I am a little restless and somewhat "itchy" for a change but every time I start mulling over what I want/need in a vehicle: Roomy, All Wheel/Four Wheel Drive, Decent Gas Mileage, Affordable, Reliable.....I keep coming back to the Element!

What I'll be taking a serious look at this time around is how much space I really need on a regular basis. Yes, it is fun a few times a year to throw 2 bikes with the front wheels still on, in the back seat, rather than use a bike rack like most people do, back into trees while dodging bears at campgrounds, load up my E with a ridiculous amount of stuff or a DJ sound system a few times a year....but is that WORTH the price of driving around in a less fuel efficient ride all year, rather than getting something sportier with better gas mileage?

There is no easy answer to my question, but I am interested in learning what some of you think. It's pretty obvious we are all Element lovers, or we wouldn't be here.....but for how long? What "affordable" vehicles have caused your head to turn as a viable replacement for your beloved E?

Thanks in advance for your input. I have not had time to begin researching vehicles but look forward to reading your responses. Hope all of you are well and that I see you guys at a meet before I ever take the drastic step in "defecting"....to join Bald Eagle in the FEOC (Former Element Owners Club)!

·
Registered
873 Posts
probly a toyota,they run like heck & cant be stoped:razz:and there should be some racin hot deals on them. what ever you choose good luck.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark.....LOL!

Truthfully...the Toyota RAV might end up on my list. Will have to look at MPG and price. There should be some good deals given their recent problems!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Uncle mike, Price range is a big thing now-a-days when talking about new cars.... My wife & I recently bought an 80k mile, Pre-owned Ridgeline (for under $14k) & absolutely LOVE IT!

However, we would have never been able to justify buying it new for $36k+

If Used works for you, I'd seriously look into a Ridgeline....It's everything that an element isn't and then some.... ours has a tailgate lock & a hard bed cover, so we can securely haul stuff too. It'll tow 5000lbs as well, if needed. It also shares oil, oil filters, spark plugs & crush washers with the Element....so I don't have to stock lots of parts at home....Maybe a pilot would work for you as well. Resale values on our Hondas stay high & the quality is always there. Good luck. Pat

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Our emphasis is economy and utility. If the 2011+ Element turns out to be a bust (bloated, "luxury", pricey... the directions it has been going) and not available with M/T, the Ford Transit Connect is high on our list.

4WD is much less important these days for us... unless the DOT keeps dragging out the construction project on our property. Then 4WD will be a must. Just to go to the grocery store. Idiots. :x

·
Registered
575 Posts
My want for my next vehicle is purely emotional and doesn't make any sense:)

Ford F-series ideally a F350 turbo diesel 4wd. I love my E but also miss my old truck...

Won't be for 10yrs hopefully as I plan to keep the E forever. I told my wife I was going to keep it for our kids. We don't have any yet:)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for everyone's respomses!

Hey Goosler,

Glad you are enjoying the Ridgeline! Honda had crazy deals on those at the time I leased my Element in 2008. Believe it or not, I think I could have leased a brand new Ridgeline, with no money down...for LESS than the deal I made on my Element. I love the look of the Ridgeline, but it's not practical for me with the open pick up and the lower mpg. Glad you are enjoying yours!

Unless my driving habits change where I'll be putting more than 15 to 20,000 miles a year on my car, then I will continue to lease. Lower payments, no money down, driving a new vehicle under warranty, and not having to worry about getting screwed on a trade-in...are the factors that have made leasing more attractive than "buying" for me. In order to continue to lease, I'll need to stay with a low depreciation rate vehicle with a high residual value.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I used to lease my cars also. It is nice driving a new car all the time. I stopped when I bought my E when I calculated the total cost of ownership over 5-10 years vs leasing a new car every 2 years. Each has it's pros and cons.

I also just had to own the E so I can mod it:grin:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
mike, fwiw, my avg mpg in the element is 23.2 & in my ridgeline it's 20.6. my wife & I don't have heavy feet when accelerating.

when filling the two, the ridge is about $10 more then the E.

fyi, my wife & I commute 500 miles a week & about 150 or so on weekends.

good luck & keep us posted on your decision.... Pat

·
Registered
282 Posts
My want for my next vehicle is purely emotional and doesn't make any sense:)

Ford F-series ideally a F350 turbo diesel 4wd. I love my E but also miss my old truck...
Trust me, I Know the feeling! Before I bought the E a few months back, I had been driving the truck of my dreams... A Ford F-Series super duty, lifted, all black, 37" tires.. SO BADA$$! .............but also a HUGE gas guzzler, which reaaaally sucked.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also just had to own the E so I can mod it:grin:
That's a great reason to "own"! (Other than Hionda dealer installed bells & whistles...I'm not much of a mod guy) There's also no question that keeping the same vehicle for many years is cheaper than leasing every 3. I've driven 10 year old plus cars all my life until leasing my first Honda in 2000. I'm enjoying the worry free, new ride every 3 years but realize it's a luxury I may need to re-consider at some point down the road.

Pat:

Thanks for your updated info on the Ridgeline. I never would have guessed the mpg was that close.....but I probably have a heavier foot than you. I'll keep you posted. There is a very strong possibility that after all is said and done....I could stay with the Element!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
That's a great reason to "own"! (Other than Hionda dealer installed bells & whistles...I'm not much of a mod guy) There's also no question that keeping the same vehicle for many years is cheaper than leasing every 3. I've driven 10 year old plus cars all my life until leasing my first Honda in 2000. I'm enjoying the worry free, new ride every 3 years but realize it's a luxury I may need to re-consider at some point down the road.

Pat:

Thanks for your updated info on the Ridgeline. I never would have guessed the mpg was that close.....but I probably have a heavier foot than you. I'll keep you posted. There is a very strong possibility that after all is said and done....I could stay with the Element!
you heavy footed? NO no one is buying that
as long as you get another black element we wont pick on you too much LOL

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you heavy footed? NO no one is buying that
as long as you get another black element we wont pick on you too much LOL
Thanks Justin!

It is kind of nice being in the "Black Element Club"....but that will be another decison I have to make down the road. I'm thinking of expanding my color horizons this time, not quite sure......maybe we could start a new group?

p.s.------Yes, I must admit.......I do have a heavy foot!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Thanks Justin!

It is kind of nice being in the "Black Element Club"....but that will be another decison I have to make down the road. I'm thinking of expanding my color horizons this time, not quite sure......maybe we could start a new group?

p.s.------Yes, I must admit.......I do have a heavy foot!
lol that is the reason you fit in LOL ps so do I

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just did a quick surf on Vehix.com and looked at the Nissan Rogue. At first glance I am very impressed...has anyone seen or driven one of these?

Pros: Very sporty looking, better gas mileage and the price is in the ballpark

Cons: Will no longer be able to fit everything in from entire house in one trip

Not trying to steer fellow Honda lover away from Honda....but I am interested in opinions on vehicles like the Rogue, that might be a decent alternative to the Element....(if there is such a thing of course!)

·
Registered
173 Posts
A Ridgeline for me...Im gonna give my E to my son after I hit 100,000 miles in the next two years. Ill probably buy a CRV for the wife around that time too although she likes the Ford Edge (too pricey IMO). Honda has been the best vehicle Ive ever owned so Im feeling pretty loyal to the brand. I was a diehard GM man up until I bought the E in 2007.

If money wasnt a issue Id go for the Acura MDX.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
If money were no object it'd be a BMW 6 series drop top
but since I need to stay down to earth, I'm keeping my E as long as she'll run and hopefully the new E's are what we hope - if not, maybe a 2006 CR-V, I like that body style better than the new

·
Registered
689 Posts
MY 2004 4WD EX has 70,000 miles on it, so it has a lot of life left on it to say the least... from all the hockey equipment I have to haul (for me and my son) year round, and the baseball equipment in the spring/summer, I can't imagine a better vehicle.

I am definitely going to wait to see what the 2nd generation Element looks like... but on my short-list if I had to choose right now:

- Nissan Xterra
- Honda Crosstour
- Toyota 4Runner
- Toyota FJ Cruiser (though very unlikely as I need a more fuel-efficient vehicle than 17MPG...with all the sports-related travel we do!).
- Maybe Mitsubishi Endeavor (I'll take a look but would definitely be a step down from a Honda).

·
Registered
895 Posts
Funny, I was just looking at new Tacomas the other day, (I was looking at Tacomas when I bought me E) and I was surprised that they weren't that much bigger and seem to be poorly built now. What is the deal with all of the hard-touch plastic and how hollow feeling cars are now days? Even the brand new Accord that I drove the other day was cheap feeling inside.
I'll stick with my old-school E, really nothing that has AWD, huge interior, acceptable gas mileage, safe, excellent designed and build quality.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for everyones repiles....keep 'em coiming!:)

I took my kayak out for the first time this season yesterday (along with Bald Eagle at "Tentback" Beach!) and couldn't help but to admire how good the E looks with a kayak on it and how functional this car really is.

One thing is for sure: I won't switch car models just for the sake of a change. I have a "wandering eye" at the moment, am a little restless and in need of a little more excitement,(I'm talking CARS of course...not wives!) but am smart enough to know when I have a good thing.

I'll continue to research vehicles in the Element price range (give or take a few grand) and if the Element wins out again as it has done in the past, I'll stay with it. If I come across another highly rated vehicle, with better mpg, better looks and most of the functionality I need, I'll give it some serious thought.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts