Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone can tell me what they think about the fact that I have replaced the serpentine belt tensioner and a water pump on my E with the mileage at 85,000. I just replaced the front brakes and had new plugs put in, also had the throttle body cleaned. I bought it used 3 years ago with 39 on it and other than a small pin hole in a radiator hose these are my first big problems. A total cost of almost 750.00 all together. If someone can let me know if this seems normal I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey man, while the cost I can't comment on I can say the replaced parts are roughly the age to be replaced.

Spark Plugs - good idea to swap

Front rotors and pads - definitely at that mileage to replace

Water Pump - be sure to swap your radiation fluid every year and this won't be an issue again. Do not listen to the 5 year / 60K jargon on the coolant bottle. Re-read the bottle when you see the rusty orange sludge caked on your water pump after 5 years. Doing a drain and refill yearly will prevent any sludge and inevitable a break down years down the road. Trust me on this one.

Tensioner - I would've forced you to replace this too just due to age. It's good to replace this anytime your tensioner has over 36K and your removing it.

TB cleaned - always a good idea but his should not have cost much.

The cost could/would always be considerably lower if you did the labor yourself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wipeout97 for your response to my concerns. I will definitely take your advice on the swapping out of the fluids for sure! I wish I could do the work myself, but being female I am learning to be knowledgable enough to ask the questions, but not do the work myself..YET! Thanks again.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Keep asking questions and watching the work beind dune and before you no it you will be a master Elementer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sure you could have saved money doing it yourself, but conveinence is always worth something.

For OEM Honda brand parts at HondaPartsNow.com:
- Brake pads $45
- Rotors $142 ($71 each)
- Water pump $50
- Serpentine belt $30
- Belt tensioner $55
- Honda blue Coolant $30
- Spark Plugs $45

$392 plus shipping and the cost to have a mechanic diagnose the problems. Also there is a cost for other supplies when doing such service (grease, machining rotors, etc)..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts