Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a newbie to the forum and I have been looking for HID lights. Everything on my E is factory and I'm looking for some HID lights to install since I use backroads a lot at night. My current halogen lights suffice but I would just feel safer if I had some brighter lighting. I've been doing some research and I'm concerned about fit and compatibility (and a lot of this and that from other car people) so I decided to ask the people who know best. Which kits do you recommend/currently use for an E? I haven't looked into the state laws but my guess is that most states (Including NC, where I live) allows white lights.

My budget for my first project is in the 150 - 200 range. I asked around a few shops but they said they'd charge me upwards of $350. After doing some research, I found out that I could get it done a lot cheaper. So any recommendations/tips? Thanks a bunch in advance!

P.S. Sorry if there's already a thread on this but I've been looking for a topic of this sort but I stopped after the first 5 pages. If there's already a thread on this, please feel free to post the link. Thanks again!

P.S.2 I have a 2003 EX.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
what year and model is your e? if you have an sc it will take a differnt kit than an ex or lx. fill out your profile so we know and im sure you will get some great info. welcome

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I just installed a HID Bi zenon kit 4500K and bought it at the Pomona swapmeet and it was a plug and play kit and very easy to install. Came with a one year warranty and cost $100 dollars plus shipping. It was from Lite Tech. (626)435-5577. Tell him that you are from the Element owners club. I have had it in for almost a month and after doing a little adjustments to the level it works great. You can get color temps with any kit from 3000 to over 12000. I will post some photos of the install if wanted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tuning in to this thread too, as it's one of the few mods I really want to do to my new E, but 1- don't want to screw it up, and 2, don't want to buy crap that is going to break down on me / go bad after 90 days. :D

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i dot know that anyone has done them on an 09 yet with the lights being different. i can get you the front facia removal instructions to get to you headlights if you wanna be the first to do it. i would still recommend putting the actual projectors in the lights and not just adding the bulbs. they are pretty universal and they will consentrate the beam pattern like it needs to be with hid's.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Tuning in to this thread too, as it's one of the few mods I really want to do to my new E, but 1- don't want to screw it up, and 2, don't want to buy crap that is going to break down on me / go bad after 90 days. :D
Look at coming to one of our local mod meets and take a look at the setup to see if you like it. You do not need projector lenses with the new Bi xenon setups and the beam pattern seems to be pretty good and not blinding oncoming cars and its pretty dark and windy roads up here. I just want to see how they work in the fog as the CRI is a little high for my taste. :)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
FX35 projectors with 4300k OEM bulbs. :)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
No offence,but that's simply not true.:confused:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

^^Here's a great read on why this is not true.;-)
I stand corrected and good article and he 100% on the arc beam being in a upward arch. I deal with the commercial HIDs and they will be a huge differance in between vertical MH and horizontal. I am going to try mine out through winter and if they perform good I will leave them in and they make the falling snow bright out they come. I did adjust them down a little as I am wary of blinding oncoming cars but still have a good safe forward vision on low beam.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Update. I went ahead and decided to buy the RSX style hid projector units and installed them and HOLY Sh**! and I am saying that as terrible. The cutoff is so abrupt that ether I am blinding people that I am following or on comers or I can't see because I have adjust the lights down to not blind others. They might work where its very flat but here its very hilly and it just doesn't work. Out they come when I get a chance and I will put the other set back in.:x

·
Registered
83 Posts
most cars with OEM HIDs have a leveling system to aid with that problem and prevent blinding people on hills. Since you do not, you pretty much just have to adjust them to a certain angle and leave it if you want to avoid blinding people and have the correct HID cutoff pattern. If you had RSX projectors in that is straight ballin'. Still :-( for HIDs in reflector housings, though. Grab some really nice PIAA bulbs and rock those.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Yea its not the lamps fault but where I live. Nothing like up -down-left -right all the damn time. And the tire Co wonders why the tires wear out in less then 25000 miles.:roll: I drive 12 miles to work and the first 6 are level and windy but the last 6 is down 3000 feet and very windy all the way. Great to have a manual trans..

·
Registered
85 Posts
OK quick question I tried to install a set of HID's tonight and no luck...
everything went good on the install just no light from them :x

So with that said is there anything I need to know about installing them and having them work? will a resistor be needed? I noticed resistor like thing in line with the plug on the stock wiring a little gray plug then the other end goes to the bulb...

Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK quick question I tried to install a set of HID's tonight and no luck...
everything went good on the install just no light from them :x

So with that said is there anything I need to know about installing them and having them work? will a resistor be needed? I noticed resistor like thing in line with the plug on the stock wiring a little gray plug then the other end goes to the bulb...

Thanks for the help :)
Ballasts are all plugged in properly right? Double checked your connections everywhere?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yep everything is in the right way... I'm going to try it again today and Im going to see if there is a bulb out indicator that may be keeping them from coming on... Its a 2007 SC not sure if they have that or not

·
Registered
85 Posts
OK I didn't have everything plugged in right :oops:
That's what I get for trying to do it in the dark...

Everything works and works well I will see what they look like tonight when it gets dark out :grin:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have almost 20k miles on my HID's and have never adjusted them and have never been flashed. My wife has driven in front of me multiple times and she said they look OEM, they are bright but not blinding at all, guess mine were adjusted perfect from the factory.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Had anyone used or try those Notto SE HID from CarID.com?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts